Having trouble fielding middle

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Have been pitching for about 5 years now and have always been above average at fielding my position but here lately it seems I can't field anything... I took a shot on the mound a year ago that broke two fingers and ever since then it's like I'm a little gun shy. I find myself back pedaling after the pitch instead of setting up to defend myself and I am having trouble deciding if I should watch the ball or the batter after release . Just seems as if I'm not picking up the ball fast enough anymore.

Any thoughts?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I felt the same way after getting hit in the mouth and having my face all jacked up back in November 2014. All of 2015 I felt like I was pitching and then defending myself instead of fielding my position. I feel comfortable now, I think it's just getting back on the horse and not thinking about it. Have someone hit you some fielding practice on the mound (obviously not launching rockets at you) to build a little confidence back.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Have been pitching for about 5 years now and have always been above average at fielding my position but here lately it seems I can't field anything... I took a shot on the mound a year ago that broke two fingers and ever since then it's like I'm a little gun shy. I find myself back pedaling after the pitch instead of setting up to defend myself and I am having trouble deciding if I should watch the ball or the batter after release . Just seems as if I'm not picking up the ball fast enough anymore.

Any thoughts?

Well-
(1) Pitch from behind the pitcher plate - or lobby your league for that rule
(2) Throw your pitches with some randomness - Don't be predictable
(3) Take one step back & set your feet (on the balls, not like concrete)
(4) Focus your eyes on the BAT as he swings (not the batter)
(5) Watch as the bat hits the ball

At this point, protecting yourself is paramount to making a play...
To protect yourself, you need to see the bat make contact with the ball
and then watch as the ball moves away from the batter... This will
give you the most time to react to the hit...

A ball that is hit right at your face seems like it is standing still - at any
angle you can pickup the movement - but right at your face the ball
just grows bigger as it approaches you - You need to be ready to
protect yourself first....

Once you realize the ball is not going to hit you, make one step in
the direction the ball is moving - keeping your glove up and ready -
then position your glove (usually a stabbing motion due to the
minimal reaction time) in line with the expected flight path...

As the pitcher, being the closest infielder to the batter, you really
only have a limited range within the reaction time - Make the most
of it and rely on your 2B & SS (or MI if 5-man) to cover the space
you cannot...

I can't emphasize this enough - Glove up at chest high and intently
watch the bat make contact with the ball - That is the best
chance you have to protect yourself and/or make a play...

%%%

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Find a guy that plays tennis and have him hit tennis balls at you at increasing speeds and decreasing distances.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Now you know what it feels like to get drilled and your mind does not want to go through it again. I was invincible on the mound until I got drilled. Cant and wont field them all especially the ones right back at you. I have pitched for 20 years and have been hit a few times. I takes a bit to get it out of your mind but once you realize your good at fielding that position you will be back on top. Hope the yips don't stick around to long for you.