USSSA Head first slide into first

Warmack14

Extra Hitter
Last night I was playing some Rec ball i generally play 2nd base but ended up on first.

Runner hits a ground ball too short stop he fields but the throw pulls me off the bag instinctively i tag. the runner slides headfirst and goes straight throw the bag.

safe or out? umpire said since he slid through the bag and was tagged he is out.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
you can over run or overslide 1st base.... so safe. This can only be done on your initial path to first. Once you make an effort to advance you then are at risk.

Warmack14

Extra Hitter
Kind of what I thought but didn't complain umpire was all over the place tho. prefaced the game with this is my first time to umpire a game, he was very easily swayed.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ASA-
Out regardless, due to sliding (headfirst) into 1B.

-USSSA-
Safe, if he made contact with the bag prior to the tag.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA ...you are allowed to slide head first into 1st base in order to avoid a collision

Or, just because you feel like it!

There's no restriction on sliding head first at first base, under any circumstances.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Another one of those persistent myths. I had a coach yelling that a player was automatically out at home because she slid head first and it's "a safety issue". I told him that's not the rule and that he was welcome to protest and he just grumbled and went back to his dugout.