Head scratching call horror stories

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing in a tourney and I was pitching. It's the top of the first inning and I just walked two back-to-back hitters who both got to first and told me "That was strike three dude. I shouldn't have walked." I'm a little frustrated by this ump but I can't do anything about it. Bases are now loaded and the batter hits a chopper at our 3B. In one motion, he fields it cleanly, steps on the bag (beating the runner by a good 30 feet) and fires a perfect throw home. Catcher makes an easy tag for what we thought was a double play.

Runner gets to third and jokingly says, "I'm out right?" as he's about to walk off the bag. The ump shakes her head no. We ask for an explanation for why the runner wasn't forced out and she says "I wasn't watching that, I was watching the runner come home."

That was the closest I've come to being kicked out of a game.

SESC1001

FSU Nation
Playing in a tourney and I was pitching. It's the top of the first inning and I just walked two back-to-back hitters who both got to first and told me "That was strike three dude. I shouldn't have walked." I'm a little frustrated by this ump but I can't do anything about it. Bases are now loaded and the batter hits a chopper at our 3B. In one motion, he fields it cleanly, steps on the bag (beating the runner by a good 30 feet) and fires a perfect throw home. Catcher makes an easy tag for what we thought was a double play.

Runner gets to third and jokingly says, "I'm out right?" as he's about to walk off the bag. The ump shakes her head no. We ask for an explanation for why the runner wasn't forced out and she says "I wasn't watching that, I was watching the runner come home."

How many umpires did you have in the game? We are supposed to have 2 umpires a game but seem to end up with one.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans

ummmm....i woulda been kicked out of the game lol

elan6148

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an infield fly called to a ball hit about 50 feet in the grass( bases loaded). The runners froze because the ump yelled infield fly and the right fielder dropped the ball threw to two and then to one for a double play. The explanation we got was " yes i did call infield fly but we all saw that it went to the outfiled the runners should of ran"

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
I would have lost my mind in a tourny. Hell I may have lost it in league too. I'm embarressed for that umpire.

Joecurrier

**AVARICE**
I had an infield fly called to a ball hit about 50 feet in the grass( bases loaded). The runners froze because the ump yelled infield fly and the right fielder dropped the ball threw to two and then to one for a double play. The explanation we got was " yes i did call infield fly but we all saw that it went to the outfiled the runners should of ran"

Ha Ha same thiing happened to us last week

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
I've played in games with women umpires before with no problems. This one, however, she may have been in over her head.

RedNek

Hahaha! That is AWFUL! Anyone get tossed over that deal?

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
Dude umpire. Our guy ropes one down the left field line. It's slicing but when it hits there's a cloud of chalk. Our guy stands in to second when the ump calls foul ball. We're like are you serious? He says yes, he saw the chalk fly up. ::headslap::

late

Addicted to Softballfans
We ask for an explanation for why the runner wasn't forced out and she says "I wasn't watching that, I was watching the runner come home."

What is with that? The other night we had a guy on second with 1 out. Batter hits a one hopper to short who throws it to 1, and our guy on second (who is very fast) advances. Ball hits the first basemans glove and goes straight to the dirt - bam bam. Ump calls our guy safe at 3 (naturally, there was no play there) but calls the hitter out at 1. Dumbfounded, we all react asking in what world could he possibly be out? Ump replies "It was on the transfer."

Chirping continues and our captain demands a real explanation after the inning. Ump said he took his eye off of first to watch the impending play at 3. Did he (and your woman ump) think that the person who catches the ball is going to throw it 500mph across the diamond or something??? Pretty sure you can turn your head and see both plays...sigh

daddyfrank

Addicted to Softballfans
A few years ago in league our pitcher was about to pitch and accidently dropped the ball on the mound and the ump called a "balk". The runners went from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to home. We informed him that this was softball not baseball and a balk does not exist in softball. He then screamed "I called a balk" and told us to play on. 2 innings later the other team was called for a balk and we all just started laughing, screaming and calling for the LD.

brees6221

Addicted to Softballfans
What's even more baffling than the umpire's calls is that two tourney batters in a row in the top of the first (before getting a feel for the umpire's strike zone) admitted to watching "strike three" go past them without swinging? So they were asking for a K??? Now that's head scratching!!

Last edited:

blickety

Addicted to Softballfans
Long-ish fly ball to left field goes foul by about 4 feet. Our LF is picking the ball up at the fence to toss back in and the umpire starts signaling that it is a homerun. He obviously realizes that it is no longer a HR, so he gives the batter a single and everyone moves up one base - ON A FOUL BALL!

cremory8

Addicted to Softballfans
About 3 years ago, we're in the league chamionship game. So it's the final game and the next to last inning. We're at bat. runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter had one of those liner type hits that lands at the LF's shin's. He field the ball clean tries to throw out a runner at 2nd. the 2B missed the ball, so all the runners advance, ball rolls into shallow RF near foul territory (so field ump is moving all around to get out of the way). the RF ran the ball down, throws home to try to get that very same runner at home. Ball arrives, runner slides....Crickets...The home plate umpire had turned around after the ball was hit to ask someone he knew to get him a hotdog. Something distracted this idiot and he stayed that way with his back to the play. The field ump was standing 15 feet into the OF grass behind second. His view was blocked by the pitcher. After a 5 min conversation between the umps, they brought me and the other teams HC in for an explanation. Tried to say it was a tie and they were going to send that runner back to 3rd and the batter would remain at 2nd. First run counted obviously. Next batter flied out to end the inning. We ended up losing by 1 run, partly influenced by this nut not being able to wait another 15 mins for a hotdog

deuce0419

The Veteran
Bases loaded, 2 down, bottom 7, tie game. Hard grounder to 6-hole, ss makes a nice play and goes to 2B with the throw. Runner slides in safely, ump calls him out and says "not for you buddy" immediately followed by "**** did I say that out loud". Still won but pissed us off pretty good.

BigRedSoftball

Addicted to Softballfans

Correct me if I am wrong (as I am sure someone will) but in baseball (I know we are discussing softball) infield fly is called when "normal and routine effort can be exhibited by an infielder to catch a fly ball regardless of where it lands if no catch is made"

Benny775

Addicted to Softballfans
League game last year, we're in Extra innings. We've got the winning run, a speedy kid standing on 3rd. 1 out. Next hitter hits one in the air to about the co-ed line. Speedy kid tags up and sprints towards home..... The Throw comes in from the outfield and speedy kid slides and the catcher catches the ball, applies the tag, and the ball pops out of his glove and is sitting in the dirt spinning. Game over right?

Nope.

OUT!!!!! Yells the ump. My dugout erupts. Ump says the catcher applied the tag and the runner is out. My base runner is Screaming "HE DROPPED THE F-ING BALL"!!!! He's on his hands and knees pointing at the ball spinning in the dirt as he's yelling.......

Worst call I've ever seen. we went on to lose that game.........

deuce0419

The Veteran
Correct me if I am wrong (as I am sure someone will) but in baseball (I know we are discussing softball) infield fly is called when "normal and routine effort can be exhibited by an infielder to catch a fly ball regardless of where it lands if no catch is made"

You are correct

BigRedSoftball

Addicted to Softballfans
Also had an ump that was drunker than us in a tournament call foul ball when the ball hit the foul pole on a fly with bases loaded. His reasoning was "they would call it the fair pole if it was fair". We lost by 2