Head scratching call stories

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
So have any of you been left standing there shocked at a call or an explanation of a call?

We were playing in a tourney. The umpire's strike zone had started out sketchy at best as I had walked two guys, both of whom told me, "Oh yeah dude, it was strike three," as they were standing on first. Things took a turn as they had none out with the bases juiced.

The batter hits a sharp chopper to our third baseman. He takes two quick steps forward, steps on the bag and fires home. Our catcher makes the tag and we think we've just turned a double play. However, the runner at third jokingly asks the ump, "I'm out right?" She replies, "No." The third baseman and I almost lose our minds asking why he wasn't out on the force. (The runner had trotted off of the field toward the third base coaching box because he wasn't even close to beating our 3B to the bag)

The only explanation we received of why the runner wasn't out on the force, was this gem:

"I wasn't watching that."

grubd

Banned User
I think Guy caught ball on bounce touched 3rd and threw home. Catcher tagged runner out?

thaynes

Good call drock, I did miss read it. I read the 3rd base runner not the runner going to third. My bad.

chazerous

I was watching a game before mine started. Runners on first and second, batter hits a ball to short, runner on 2nd doesnt move, the SS tags the runner on second steps on the base and tags the runner from 1st to 2nd for good measure. Ump calls the runner from 1st to 2nd out saying the runner from 2nd didnt have to go, and the runner behind him was out for running him off the bag. Refused to take into account the force or the fact that the SS tagged both players.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
Same tournament, same umpire: called a strike on a ball that clearly hit the plate and called a foul ball on a batted ball that clearly hit the 3rd base bag. His explanation for the strike was that home plate was moved and was not in the correct spot; his explanation for the foul ball was that, you guessed it, the bag was moved and not in fair territory.

One call was in our favor and one call went against us. I laughed and told him that he was terrible both times.

batboy_2006

Addicted to Softballfans
the runner from 2 going to 3 should be out on the force. no doubt about that. the runner that was on 3rd going home, the force is off the minute 3B touched his bag after picking up the chopper. But if the catcher tagged him on his way home or at play at the plate or however that happened, then it doesn't matter, he's out. So it should have been a double play.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
Same tournament, same umpire: called a strike on a ball that clearly hit the plate and called a foul ball on a batted ball that clearly hit the 3rd base bag. His explanation for the strike was that home plate was moved and was not in the correct spot; his explanation for the foul ball was that, you guessed it, the bag was moved and not in fair territory.

One call was in our favor and one call went against us. I laughed and told him that he was terrible both times.

it really pisses me off when people move home plate and make the umps jump even more difficult :rolleyes:

RedSoxFan608

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing in the championship game of a tourney, runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out. Batter hits a fly ball hooking down the line and the ball lands foul by a good 8 feet. Ump calls the ball fair and his reasoning was that "the ball passed 3rd base in the air." Both runners score and batter ends up on 2. Luckily the next guy hit to short to end the inning and prevent anymore damage. We ended up winning by 2 runs I think so he didn't affect the outcome thankfully, but still one of the most dumbfounding calls I've ever seen.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
I was watching the game before ours on the same field and this guy hits a shot into some trees over the LF fence, about a 320-330 ft shot (fences are 300). The ball crosses the fence about 20 ft into fair territory and the ump yells FOUL!! The batter and the ump are friends and proceed to argue about the call for about 5 minutes. The fielding team told the ump it was fair as well. The very next pitch the same batter puts into the trees again, but in LC. In our league you have to touch the next base, so as he touches first and on his way back to the bench he mutters "was that foul too?" Needless to say they were asking if every ball was fair or foul. :)

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans
We're out of homeruns with 2 out and and a man on down by a couple runs, batter not known for having power drives one off the foul pole, umps signals fair ball HR, Other teams tells him we're out of homers he says "doesn't matter hit the pole 4 base error" round em, We end up winning the game in the next inning, Umps tells us after the game he blew the call and we got Lucky,

fleetfoot

Addicted to Softballfans
bad calls....

I have a good friend who is one hell of a Senior women's player. Several years ago, she was catching. The ump kept making bad calls on strikes and balls. She started giving him a bad time about it. He told her that if she questioned one more call, she was out of the game. He makes another bad call, she jumps up, turns around, jumps on him wrapping her arms and legs around him, and plants a huge kiss. When he finally gets her away from him he ask her what the hell she is doing. She says " If you are going to screw me, at least you can kiss me"! He screams at her that she is out of the game. She says "I would thing so" and walks off the diamond.:p

jftx

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is a doozy for yall.. So my buddies team in Co-ed is winning 30-1 after the 2nd inning.. the other team comes up in the bottom of the 2nd inning.. This one dude (the batter) obviously frustrated from being destroyed was talking trash before his at bat.. So my buddy the pitcher walks him. He starts griping on his way to first and then on his way to second. (Girl walks behind him) on his way to 2nd base he nudges my buddies(pitcher) girlfriend (2B). She says watch out.. He turns to her and says who the F are you and pushes her. The ump is facing that way the whole time. Well my buddy pitching doesnt see it happen but his teammate on first does.. He runs over there gets in the guys face. The runner on 2nd ends up putting his hands on my buddies throat choking him. Finally my friend turns around and gets over there to get it stopped. The Ump, Throws my buddy out of the game for pushing a girl and choking the runner. So basically ump said the first baseman left first base... pushed his own teammate a girl on 2nd base.. and then choked the guy who got walked. Needless to say the ump threw the 1b out of the game and then said he didnt leave fast enough so gave the team losing 30-1 a forfeit win. Later the 1st baseman gets a call saying his suspended for the year because the ump said he did everything. Worst Blown Call ever.

thaynes

Wow can you bullet point that for me? Thought I was good then it all goes to crap. Ump ejected the first baseman for what the batter runner did? And the team losing 30-1 ends up winning a 30-1 forfiet?

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
league championship a few years back. We are the visitors and have the 3rd base dugout,, bottom of 7th 2 out men on 2nd and 3rd tie game and a 2-1 count. Batter hits a foul ball and my LF catches the ball in FOUL TERRITORY and the ump immediately yells batters out. My LF's momentum carries him out of play which has no fencing to seperate "Foul territory" and "out of play" which was his normal way of getting to the dugout except this time he made the final catch of the inning. The ump ruled that since his momentum carried him out of play both runners advance and the game was over.

My entire team flips out screaming how can anything happen after the 3rd out of the inning and the ump wants no part of hearing any argument and walks off the field and gets in his car and drives away. We contact the LD and we were told the ump has the final decision on everything game over....

jftx

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow can you bullet point that for me? Thought I was good then it all goes to crap. Ump ejected the first baseman for what the batter runner did? And the team losing 30-1 ends up winning a 30-1 forfiet?

Runner Walked with his team down 30-1 ... Bumps into Girl playing 2nd Base... She says hey watch it.. He then shoves her saying who the F are you. 1B comes to help his girl, then gets choked by base runner. Ump facing that way the whole time.. Throws out 1B saying he did it all. Suspends him and makes his team forfeit the game.

grubd

Banned User
Women should be seen and not heard. They say things that will get under guys skin because that's what they are good for and do.

cyoung187

Coach
league championship a few years back. We are the visitors and have the 3rd base dugout,, bottom of 7th 2 out men on 2nd and 3rd tie game and a 2-1 count. Batter hits a foul ball and my LF catches the ball in FOUL TERRITORY and the ump immediately yells batters out. My LF's momentum carries him out of play which has no fencing to seperate "Foul territory" and "out of play" which was his normal way of getting to the dugout except this time he made the final catch of the inning. The ump ruled that since his momentum carried him out of play both runners advance and the game was over.

My entire team flips out screaming how can anything happen after the 3rd out of the inning and the ump wants no part of hearing any argument and walks off the field and gets in his car and drives away. We contact the LD and we were told the ump has the final decision on everything game over....

Holy ****, I would have never returned to the league after that one. How can the other team even accept that victory?

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
I get annoyed by umps who use the edge of the grass running down the outfield as the foul line even though it is plain to see that the edge of the grass is about two feet in foul territory. I have seen balls land and shoot sideways obviously landing on the edge of the grass get called fair. If it hit the edge of the grass its in foul territory blue! Just lazy umpiring in my view.

kmfdm

<font color="Red">Mark it Donny!</font>
We had one a few years ago that still makes me wonder. We were in a close game and on defense. The other team had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Next batter hit a hard ground ball up the middle that either: a) my pitcher deflected and hit the baserunner, or b) hit the baserunner while still on 2nd base. Regardless, my 2nd baseman picks up the ball, touches 2nd, and throw to 1st for a double play (runner going from 1st to 2nd even made his way back to the dugout. The umpire call times because the other team thought it was a dead ball for the ball hitting the runner (even though it didn't matter because he was on the base). The ump thinks about it for a second and declares EVERYONE safe! The reasoning was that she "didn't see the play".
I still wonder what the hell she was watching.

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
WTF was she watching?! The ball was at 3rd! :D

The umpire had no answer. I have no problems with female umpires, but that scenario was to as close as I've ever been to being ejected. Our manager was trying to add our 11th player to the batting order and I told him to wait, just so I could get kicked out and the 11th guy could just take my place.

Unfortunately, our manager didn't listen.