Help me out Combat guys....ASA G3 Portent question

Playing in a league with a crappy .52/300 (thunder HyCon I think). Team we play against has a beat up ASA G3 Portent and are hitting shots with it. The bat makes no sound from the PED ring insert - I've owned one in the past and it always made a "clack" sound like a Monsta. The bat they have makes a definite "poof" sound.

I go up to the guy (who owns the bat) after the game and say, "just tell me straight up, is the PED ring taken out of this thing?" He replies, "what's that? We've had this bat for four years - bought in NIW".

Besides me being too concerned about league night in a beer league, thoughts? Is the ball too soft to really make it have the clack sound?

15g3asa.jpg

AntonChigurh

Playing in a league with a crappy .52/300 (thunder HyCon I think). Team we play against has a beat up ASA G3 Portent and are hitting shots with it. The bat makes no sound from the PED ring insert - I've owned one in the past and it always made a "clack" sound like a Monsta. The bat they have makes a definite "poof" sound.

I go up to the guy (who owns the bat) after the game and say, "just tell me straight up, is the PED ring taken out of this thing?" He replies, "what's that? We've had this bat for four years - bought in NIW".

Besides me being too concerned about league night in a beer league, thoughts? Is the ball too soft to really make it have the clack sound?

15g3asa.jpg
It's a really underrated bat. I'm really bummed I "broke" mine for an Easton warranty.

And, I know where you got that picture, and its end loaded, not balanced, just an fyi :D

Normy

That bat makes a good "crack" sound even with the 52's. My 16 DBA didn't crack as much as the 15 Portent. The disc came loose and i replaced the end cap. It's our practice bat and it makes more of a "poof" sound like you mentioned. Everybody loves using it because it's straight up fire. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that the PED is gone out of the poofy Portent. Surprisingly, some of the Combats still pass compression without them. Guess they'd need an x-ray machine to find out for certain.

defos

I hit a nice line drive into the wind with mine Sunday, and it made a really nice, loud crack. Ball was a .52/300. Sounded goood! Too bad it was just foul for an out.

Whether it's endloaded or not depends on the weight. My 28s are definitely endloaded, but the 26 I got for a teammate is balanced. From reviews I've seen/read, the 27s are somewhere between.

AntonChigurh

I hit a nice line drive into the wind with mine Sunday, and it made a really nice, loud crack. Ball was a .52/300. Sounded goood! Too bad it was just foul for an out.

Whether it's endloaded or not depends on the weight. My 28s are definitely endloaded, but the 26 I got for a teammate is balanced. From reviews I've seen/read, the 27s are somewhere between.
They’re end loaded. The 27 I broke had nuts, like from the hardware store, glued into the end cap.

Normy

My 27 was heavily endloaded while my buddies 27 was more midload. Always a mystery with the Canadians.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
They’re end loaded. The 27 I broke had nuts, like from the hardware store, glued into the end cap.
That's how they did the endload on a lot of Combats.
@Scottishheat it sounds to me like they broke the disc loose at some point in the past 4 years and took it out. the 52s don't change the sound of Combats at all. it should sound like a shotgun

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
All 3 of my Combats have the same crack sound and I only hit 52's with them. As to what your course of action should be, idk. Calling out their bat without 100% proof could start a bunch of crap

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure my wanted disc broke but never came loose. It never rattled or moved around, but I'm pretty convinced that's why it was the hottest bat I've ever owned. I never hit 52s with it, but I put a video on YouTube hitting 44/375 up against a brand new portent if you want to hear the difference. I miss that bat.

dunkky

looks like combat is getting more publicity lately. Normy's brainwashing everyone is started fruiting the dividend.
if you wanna hear the sound, i uploaded a short video of me swinging the rogo. i don't know what the shotgun sound like but it's no silence for sure.

Normy

looks like combat is getting more publicity lately. Normy's brainwashing everyone is started fruiting the dividend.
if you wanna hear the sound, i uploaded a short video of me swinging the rogo. i don't know what the shotgun sound like but it's no silence for sure.
Some we're more pronounced than others. My 15's are way more cracky than the 16's.

Combat is sorta like my high school sweetheart. The first bat I fell in love with. Even though she wasn't the prettiest or more popular than the competition. Still a keeper!

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Some we're more pronounced than others. My 15's are way more cracky than the 16's.

Combat is sorta like my high school sweetheart. The first bat I fell in love with. Even though she wasn't the prettiest or more popular than the competition. Still a keeper!
cheapest hooker available?

dunkky

I hear you. I can tell you have some personal attachment to combat bats besides it can perform. I have a glove that I've been using for 10 years, i feel the same way about it. everyone on my team said, it's time to move on, but I am not ready to let it go yet. it's my boy. :)

btw, it's not even a softball glove, it's more like baseball glove..

Normy

Plus, I'm just one of those guys who likes to go against the grain and says to hell with the status quo. Probably why I shoot a Martin compound bow instinctively as well.

Normy

I'm pretty sure my wanted disc broke but never came loose. It never rattled or moved around, but I'm pretty convinced that's why it was the hottest bat I've ever owned. I never hit 52s with it, but I put a video on YouTube hitting 44/375 up against a brand new portent if you want to hear the difference. I miss that bat.
I've actually watched that video a couple times. Now I can put a face to the shark teeth or whatever the heck that is lol.