Help me out fellas...got a glove question.

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
I have had the same Louisville Slugger glove for a LONG time now. So long, that I haven't paid any attention to the new gloves made for the last 6 years or so. The wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and the only things I could think of (that we could afford) were a new glove and a threesome. Of those 2, I figure I have the best shot at the glove.
So I got to looking at all the manufacturers and models out there and my head damn near spun off with all the choices. Not to mention the fact that I've used it so much my current glove is like a 2nd skin to me. You know what I mean...perfectly molded to my hand, broken in so well that a ball hitting anywhere near the pocket will automatically close the glove for me.
I've got no problem with breaking in a new glove, but if I'm going to go to all that effort, I want it to be a glove that will last as long as my current one, and be tough enough that I can still play 3rd without having to worry about getting ate up by a 150 mph worm burner.
So what do you guys use? What would you lay out your money for if you were getting a new one?
I play 3B and SS almost exclusively. Some 2B but that's only in back-up situations. I prefer closed back, ladder web (or other closed web) and at least 13".

Here's a link to a newer version kinda like what I use now:
http://www.softballgloves.com/product.view.aspx?p=12090

I like the looks of this one, but I can't find out for sure if it's a men's or women's.
http://www.*************/Softball-Gloves/13--13-34-Gloves/Mizuno-MVP-Prime-Fastpitch-13-Softball-Glove/softball/lev/6/productId/12784/Ne/1200001/N/36+1100123+34/categoryId/1100123/pCategoryId/403/parentCatId/431/Ns/CATEGORY_SEQ_431|0/index.pro

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
I recommend Vinci, but sounds like the budget is limited so depends what you're willing to spend.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
I got a Silver slugger 13.00 that I love. It's a full trap though so not great for infield....though I use it there..

Mikeisaddicted

lulz at 13" and up gloves
* B-Day Coming up
* Wife asked what he wanted
* He said glove
* Needs help picking a glove

ok cool thank you.

figure out what size you want and go from there. i like a 12 for the infield but a lot of people will tell you to go with 12.5. h web i would say is ftw

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
I don't mind spending money. I just really hate spending money and not understanding what I'm buying before I do it.

Haha, I gotcha there, but spending alot to some people isn't alot to others. The highest end Vinci's run around $250 I think, lowest is around $150.

hitsone

Vinci/ thread. PM, JCA0727 or smarkley for help

SBF store has a good selection of vinci's.
I'd wait to see what other suggestions this thread offers.
Also you may have better luck than I do with the search function.

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
that glove looks similar to a Demarini Diablo. I have a barely used one I'd sell cheap then you could keep alive your birthday wish of the threesome.....IJS

DIRTY 30

well said... that is exactly what it is

vinci does have some good lookin mits, don't get me wrong...but these fanboys act like they're the end all be all in the glove world. :confused:

i'm willing to bet they've never tried on a classic made in USA a2000, japanese made Mizunos, mid-90s USA heart of the hide, or older model nokonas.
icon14.gif

Mikeisaddicted

lulz at 13" and up gloves
vinci does have some good lookin mits, don't get me wrong...but these fanboys act like they're the end all be all in the glove world. :confused:

i'm willing to bet they've never tried on a classic made in USA a2000, japanese made Mizunos, mid-90s USA heart of the hide, or older model nokonas.
icon14.gif

i tried and tried to say the same thing... i have liked the vincis i have owned but believe me, my pro mizuno is far and away a better glove

JCA0727

VINCI REP

icon14.gif

I bought my Wilson USA made A2000 in 1980 and played with it for 20 years. One of the best I've ever had. Also owned an early 80's Mizuno 6 finger, and it also was great. Bottom line is that today, most of the major manufacturer's outsource, use cheaper materials, and take many measures to cut costs, which detracts from the quality of the gloves. Vinci does not....It's not that they are the end all be all, but that they are of a quality that the US used to be proud of, with great durability and functionality. They are as good or better than most of the gloves on the market today...No hype, just a qood quality glove with outstanding customer service.

DIRTY 30

I bought my Wilson USA made A2000 in 1980 and played with it for 20 years. One of the best I've ever had. Also owned an early 80's Mizuno 6 finger, and it also was great. Bottom line is that today, most of the major manufacturer's outsource, use cheaper materials, and take many measures to cut costs, which detracts from the quality of the gloves. Vinci does not....It's not that they are the end all be all, but that they are of a quality that the US used to be proud of, with great durability and functionality. They are as good or better than most of the gloves on the market today...No hype, just a qood quality glove with outstanding customer service.

i could not agree more with the current situation of today's glove market. there's maybe 1 out of 20 that actually catch my eye. that's why i listed older model gloves in my examples. i absolutely love the older white label nokonas to death, but the stuff they have out now is just garbage (with exception to the bloodline models). i hate to say that, but it's the truth.

it's just hilarious when these kids reply to any glove thread with 'vinci /thread'. it really reveals how much they know about the game. but then again, that's why they're fanboys...you can reason with them because they don't listen to logic. it's rare to see someone recommend a glove brand that they don't personally own.

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm 56 and have been playing baseball or softball since I was 8 and I'm one of the guys that love Vinci gloves. I've been playing with a Vinci for about 8 years now and before I played with a Wilson A 2000 for 20 years. The Wilson's palm became so thin and worn out that it was time to get a new glove so I gave Vinci a try. Don't get me wrong the A 2000 was a wonderful glove but it's a baseball glove and now I play softball. To me the advantage of a Vinci is that the pockets on their softball models are designed for a softball's larger size. A Vinci may or may not be the best glove on the market I don't know but it's the best glove for me.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I'm 56 and have been playing baseball or softball since I was 8 and I'm one of the guys that love Vinci gloves. I've been playing with a Vinci for about 8 years now and before I played with a Wilson A 2000 for 20 years. The Wilson's palm became so thin and worn out that it was time to get a new glove so I gave Vinci a try. Don't get me wrong the A 2000 was a wonderful glove but it's a baseball glove and now I play softball. To me the advantage of a Vinci is that the pockets on their softball models are designed for a softball's larger size. A Vinci may or may not be the best glove on the market I don't know but it's the best glove for me.

There is so much truth in the bolded statement that it's ridiculous.

People seem not to realize that a good glove for one person may be awful for someone else. I wish I could find a Vinci that felt "right" on my hand, but among the several models I tried, all of them felt too big, or didn't play tall enough or deep enough. I used a POS Wilson A800 for years, not because it was a better glove than the Rawlings, Mizunos, Vincis, etc that I tried on, but because it felt like an extension of my hand. I've since switch to a Roddy, simply because it was made to exact specs that I wanted. My hand fits snugly, the pocket is deep, and it plays tall, but not too tall for me to control. I wish the quality of the craftsmanship was on the level of the Vincis that I looked at, but it's a compromise I made to have a glove that feels right.

Kramit

it's just hilarious when these kids reply to any glove thread with 'vinci /thread'. it really reveals how much they know about the game. but then again, that's why they're fanboys...you can reason with them because they don't listen to logic. it's rare to see someone recommend a glove brand that they don't personally own.

I've had many different models of gloves throughout my playing career from Wilson, Rawlings, Worth, and now Vinci. My current glove is an older Wilson (forgot the actual model number) that fits my hand great. I've had that glove for 15 years, so I do know what the older well built models feel like. the fact that it still holds its shape is a tribute to the quality of the manufacturer. Although my vinci is still a little stiff at the moment it already feels as good on my hand than old faithful. I can only assume that as it breaks in fully it will "fit like a glove" (no pun intended). I will concede your point that every person has a glove that suits them and it may not be a Vinci. Next time I'll put "for me Vinci/thread." To say that we are simply "fanboys" and that we "dont listen to logic" is an asinine statement. Don't paint with a broad brush.

Last edited:

Marko13

I have owned Mizunos and Rawlings but never tried a Vinci. I will one day but it is true when people here on the board act like they are the best ever made. Btw all of the gloves have been baseball gloves and i have no problem catching a ball with a "baseball pocket". To me if you can catch a ball you can catch a ball. The baseball and softball pocket makes no difference in my eyes....

MaverickAH

It's very annoying to see a recommendation on any brand w/o questions being asked or w/o taking the person's preferences into consideration.

The only thing more distasteful is seeing someone put down a brand w/o any experience with it.

I can't think of one brand or model of glove that's suitable for everybody. That's why there're different makes & models after all!:rolleyes: For example......... I've used A2000's for over 30 yrs but I also use Vinci & Glovesmith as well. Of the three, Vinci is my favorite. These are my gloves of choice but I could probably name several other brands that I find perfectly acceptable. I could also name other well known brands that I find personally unacceptable. It really isn't a big thing. To each his own.......

Now with that being said, based on the what the OP has been using & that he's on a budget, I'd suggest that he look at an Omaha Pro first.

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
i could not agree more with the current situation of today's glove market. there's maybe 1 out of 20 that actually catch my eye. that's why i listed older model gloves in my examples. i absolutely love the older white label nokonas to death, but the stuff they have out now is just garbage (with exception to the bloodline models). i hate to say that, but it's the truth.

This is my problem. I'm looking through all these gloves and seeing a lot of them that "claim" to be the highest quality leather and cost $150. Then I see some that are more visually appealing to me that also claim to be of the highest quality leather and are sold everywhere for $60. I'm having a hard time distinguishing between them. I know for a fact that Nokonas have a bad habit of soaking up oil and sweat, becoming "soggy" and heavy. As a 3rd baseman, a heavy glove means a trip to the hospital.

I'm looking at the Mizzuno Prime in a 13" but I'm not sure if the fast pitch description means anything. I don't give a $h!t if I'm wearing a glove made for a woman. If it means it will perform the way I want it to, I'll wear a female glove all day long! Anyone use/used this one?

birchteam

Manager
Louisville Slugger - Helix. Comes in 12.5, 13, 13.5 & 14. Great Lakes Softball Sales sells them for $55. So you can get them in any 'softball/baseball' store. It's a great glove for the price without over spending.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I'm looking at the Mizzuno Prime in a 13" but I'm not sure if the fast pitch description means anything. I don't give a $h!t if I'm wearing a glove made for a woman. If it means it will perform the way I want it to, I'll wear a female glove all day long! Anyone use/used this one?

Keep in mind that FP gloves usually have a tighter fit than SP gloves.

landsharklager

GDC MULTI-PLATINUM MEMBER
Keep in mind that FP gloves usually have a tighter fit than SP gloves.

Yes, that is the difference in FP and regular softball glove. (along with pink options and names like Lisa Fernandez Model)

2 companies I would throw in is GloveSmith, I love mine, good feel still a little stiff but playable now. I would also try a custom Roddy.

Both of those can be had with non or full custom gloves in the $125 - 150 range. Both quality.

milocoman also has hook ups with a custom glove manufacturer. Haven't seen any reviews for them though. Kip leather though.