ASA Help with amateur umps

Traenok

Star Player
Our co-ed church league has had its fill with pulling people out of the stands to help ump. We are the purest form of amateur co-ed church leagues.

So to offset this - we are looking at getting 8 people to ump. Zero funds. These people are by the grace of God and themselves willing to volunteer to help out.

My question is, do any of you have any links to sites for easy explanation of the basics rules and most common calls? I know this is asking alot :eek: but anything other than handing these people the entire rules book for ASA is better.

Thanks in advance.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Our co-ed church league has had its fill with pulling people out of the stands to help ump. We are the purest form of amateur co-ed church leagues.

So to offset this - we are looking at getting 8 people to ump. Zero funds. These people are by the grace of God and themselves willing to volunteer to help out.

My question is, do any of you have any links to sites for easy explanation of the basics rules and most common calls? I know this is asking alot :eek: but anything other than handing these people the entire rules book for ASA is better.

Thanks in advance.

Darn it, I just sent off my 2010 rule book to someone on Monday. I'd have just given it to ya.

I've been working on a website for the last couple of years that does exactly that: shows new umpires who aren't able to get to a clinic how to call in slow pitch. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near being live, and it's been on the back-burner for so long, I'd completely forgotten about it until now.

I'll keep at it and see if I can get you a link. There's a LOT to cover in slow pitch, but hopefully, I'll have something done... someday.

In the meantime, does anyone else have anything available?

Traenok

Star Player
NCASAUmp - man - I used to have a link on here for my own entertainment of a league in WA state or Oregon - somewhere out there, that had a quick flash style quiz on it. It also had some really easy graphics for how to call strikes balls and some for ump placement on where to go when a play is being made, whether there were two umps or just one etc...

Can't find it for the life of me.

But that is awesome if you are doing this - can't wait regardless!

Traenok

Star Player
I already have a rules book though - we have one from last year and this year. I play in a much more competitive league in Hagerstown MD. lol Some would say it is one of the largest Church leagues on the East Coast if not country. Last year we had 34 teams in 8 divisions and this year we have 36 commitments from teams as well as adding a Co-Ed league to the schedule. Hate to be that guy who makes the schedule for all of that.

Anyway, yeah, we have the books, its just so much to go over with a couple of volunteers who have zero umping experience. All of them have played etc... its just the nitty gritty we want to kind of hammer home.

EX: Last year our team lost a game because the "home" ump got a call wrong. He used some other league rules. Not sure which. One out. We had runner on 2nd. Batter hits to short. Short throws to first with ball going out of field of play. We argued Runner on second gets home plate and scores and the batter advances to second. He said no - runner on second must be forced home, instead he is only forced to third because Batter gets second on the overthrow. Runner on second was the winning run. We would have walked off. Next 2 batters Line out to short/pitcher. Inning over. They take the field and score one run. We never get into position to score again. Game over.

So this is just an example of getting these 8 guys on the same page, with the easy calls like this etc...

TommyMass

Addicted to Softballfans
I would suggest that the league start by putting together their own rulebook: just the basics; four balls three strikes; foul ball rule; distance between bases; pitching arc and so on. Several of the softball associations have their rulebook online and this could be used as a guideline or the entire rulebook could be adopted.
I'm not sure if umpiring mechanics are included in the online version or not; if not maybe one of your players knows an umpire who would be willing to help with positioning of umps in various circumstances (baserunners at different bases).
Uniformity and consistancy I assume is what you're looking for and hopefully I'm sending you in the right direction.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I would suggest that the league start by putting together their own rulebook: just the basics; four balls three strikes; foul ball rule; distance between bases; pitching arc and so on. Several of the softball associations have their rulebook online and this could be used as a guideline or the entire rulebook could be adopted.
I'm not sure if umpiring mechanics are included in the online version or not; if not maybe one of your players knows an umpire who would be willing to help with positioning of umps in various circumstances (baserunners at different bases).
Uniformity and consistancy I assume is what you're looking for and hopefully I'm sending you in the right direction.

NOOOO. Do not write your own rule book. Just adopt one of the big ones. A rule set has to be so in-depth that you would spend an incredible amount of time to write your own. And the fewer modifications that you make to the rule set the better.

Traenok

Star Player
Our league is NOT an officially sanctioned member of ASA - however - we use ASA rules. Therefore we can't send anyone to clinics from the league - we can't buy books etc... plus funds are non-existent.

We don't want to write any rules other than certain league specific rules already in place. All of the guys/gals helping out have played competitively - just never umped. So was really looking to get a link to something that had the basics/positioning in there for them if its even available online anywhere.

But no worries - we'll make do like we always do!

Thanks all for the help you have given so far!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
NOOOO. Do not write your own rule book. Just adopt one of the big ones. A rule set has to be so in-depth that you would spend an incredible amount of time to write your own. And the fewer modifications that you make to the rule set the better.

I agree. ASA has taken great care in making sure that situations are well-covered by documented rules. Creating a "very basic" set of rules will only leave large gaps and confusion.

Even though the league is for "pure fun," it won't take long for that to change. Someone always misses the memo.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
You may want to contact your local ASA UIC and see if s/he would be willing to send a trainer over to give your umpires a couple of clinics. Who knows, maybe they may end up enjoying it and deciding to call a few non-church games on the side?

If I lived closer, I wouldn't mind being one of those people. Unfortunately, MD is a bit far for me. Quite often, umpires are very willing to help their community by helping charitable groups.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks in advance.

I have not checked out this site, but it may be worth a look.

http://students.uta.edu/rh/rhv5568/

Cactus Umpires website used to have some pretty useful info, but checking again it is for Fastpitch only.

Joel

Traenok

Star Player
Our UIC from our Hagerstown league is going to spend an evening with them. Some is better than nothing. And in looking all over the net at various sites, I have found a few that have practice exams on the pages as well as some other things. Thanks everyone.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Just make sure your league members know these are volunteers, and that you need to be patient. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, and I'll help out on occasion if asked, but argue or question one call when I'm working for free, and you've seen the last of me.
I'm with the majority here- adopt one of the major association's rules (ASA is probably your best bet), and follow them. I'd start asking the teams to pony up $10-15 each per game, though. You'll have much more luck getting them to come back for a few bucks a game...

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Any ump - even volunteers - will only get better when he/she takes pride in and enjoy their work. I hope you have some very dedicated volunteers that are willing to learn, learn, learn and keep learning all while not getting paid and being yelled at. (Yes, it even happens in church league).

I dedicate a lot of time to my church, Knights of Columbus, kids softball, etc and I would have a hard time volunteering for an entire league schedule without any compensation. A weekend tournament? Sure. But, not an entire league.

Just my $0.02. I wish you luck, sir.

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
point them to SBF, ask the umpire forum
rule book link at top, and can learn a lot from reading the threads here.
and if they ever run into a situation they are not sure of, they can post it here and learn from it for the next time they encounter it