Help with losing ball in lights

CatchersSB#31

Addicted to Softballfans
Tonight I played a 7pm game where in the first inning a hot liner was hit to center between me (RC) and LC. I made up the ground to my right and a couple millisecs before the catch I just plain lose it in the lights! I played it where I thought it would be but the ball ended up hitting off my right knee cap (thank God for the 52/300!). I'm limping, but fine. I seem to have more trouble with the lights now then with the sun. I don't know if sunglasses should be worn, and putting my cap down almost to my eyebrows only helps until I look up, then the adjustment almost makes it worse. Anyone have any tips to play balls in the outfield when you know the lights are gonna be shining right at you? (Besides learning to catch better :p)

22justin82

Addicted to Softballfans
Nothing man it just sucks. Im guessing the lights are too close behind home plate. I play at a field the lights are almost directly behind the plate. U get a line drive and all you can do is play for the ball not getting past you.

GloveJunky

The Rookie
I play at a field where the lights are right up against the diamond. Fly balls can be a real PITA depending on where it goes. There is a huge spot where you lose all depth perception. Sucks.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Tonight I played a 7pm game where in the first inning a hot liner was hit to center between me (RC) and LC. I made up the ground to my right and a couple millisecs before the catch I just plain lose it in the lights! I played it where I thought it would be but the ball ended up hitting off my right knee cap (thank God for the 52/300!). I'm limping, but fine. I seem to have more trouble with the lights now then with the sun. I don't know if sunglasses should be worn, and putting my cap down almost to my eyebrows only helps until I look up, then the adjustment almost makes it worse. Anyone have any tips to play balls in the outfield when you know the lights are gonna be shining right at you? (Besides learning to catch better :p)

Sounds like you did all you could. Some times if you duck down a little or turn to the side a bit, it'll give you a better angle to pick it up...Sometimes though......It's just that the lights are in a poor spot for that position and you can't do a lot about it....I play one field in particular in Spokane, where looking at the batter from left field. I face a bank of lights along the first base line and right field on the field next to us........Some interesting plays on those.

CatchersSB#31

Addicted to Softballfans
For sure guys, the lights are right behind home, foul balls backward hit them all the time. I hate that feeling where you go from "I've got a play on this" to "OMG where the heck did it go!?" It's a scary situation to be in, and it all changes in the matter of a few milliseconds. Just wish I could do something to help myself out a bit in those situations.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
raise the lights

Raise_da_Roof.gif

?:D

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
I play at a field whereit's the lights from the other fields that can make it sketchy, I try and shift where I normally play to make the angles better, but in the end it comes down to protecting the money maker

ramrod55

Famously unfamous
It's just something that the more you play the more you get used to it I think.
The fields we play it are the similar in the lights are low.
Honestly just listen to your other fielders and like swing said turn a bit sideways to the lights. It helps for me.

jobro31

<font color="#CD0000">Bleeding Crimson</font>
Play under the lights more. I had an issue with one park where the lights were closer to the ground, if only a few feet, over time I've learned how to pick the ball up and/or play the lights

Monday we had a guy lose one and turn to go back on it and it hit him right in the back.

First time i got to yell sniper on someone in the outfield.

dave2130

Addicted to Softballfans
field we play at sounds like this. our OFs have trouble with the height of the lights, and when i play 1st base, if the 3rd baseman ranges just a little to his left, his throw is directly in lights over to me. same with SS going to his left, and different lights. makes one hell of a guessing game.

I had laser eye surgery a few years ago and it was well worth it, but I definitely notice a difference at night. I get the halos around lights now and it's been difficult at times to pick up the ball, even in the infield. I've actually worn polarized sunglasses at night a few times and it's helped.

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
Sometimes you can block it with your glove. Once or twice I've actually not followed it through the lights, but almost intentionally left looking at the ball, looked to where I thought the ball was going to exit from the lights, and picked it up again. Kinda similar to looking at the fence when you're running back. Tough to do if it's a line drive though.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
As counter-intuitive as this might sound, playing it off to the side can be enough to change your visual angle and allow you to see the ball better since you'renot staring directly into the lights.

Hunter4ever89

The Wiley Veteran
^^^^ I also had lasik a few years ago. Get the halos and even the ball has a halo. Its tough some nights and I also play infield (SS,3b). We have low lights and it sucks, but can't really do much about it....

esco21

Manager
I have a small scar on my right eyebrow from over playing it and losing it in the sun. Never had a major problem with the lights at night though. I can see the balls perfectly from the dugout. Ha! Jk. It sounds weird, but I've used "cool looking" lightly smoked lens safety glasses before (from work). Its clear enough for night time, yet darkens the lights out just enough to not get blinded by them. You can give that a shot.

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
The lights on our fields are terrible as well. Lost a ball last night and it ended up almost hitting me in the face and actually bounced off my bare hand when I put my glove up. Nothing you can really do about it. If you can't see the ball, you can't see it. Just try to keep it in front of you I guess.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Isn't that what they make yellow (or blue or orange) lenses for? Wouldn't that help here? I've never used them myself--I haven't played under lights in years.

deekedah

Lost a step or 3
Izonlens.com

Find an eye doc that uses this technology. It wont get rid of all of your glare issues at night. But it makes it much better.