Help with Rawlings SM 6

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have no idea, but I love it. Looks a lot like Horween and I love the grommets. Such great shape. ... What's an IHI web?

defos

... What's an IHI web?

That was my question when I first saw the stamp! Then I realized the vertical parts of the H are stamped as wide outlines while the horizontal bar is a single line.

Based on Musial's career ending in 1963, I'd guess this glove is from the very early 60's, but the pattern and construction are more like late '60's or early '70s. Maybe it was released around the time he was voted into the Hall of Fame in 1969. I claim ZERO expertise about gloves or Stan Musial, so don't put stock in what I say. My uncle had a six-finger glove from the late '50s/early '60s, and it seems like it was a Musial model. I got my first glove in 1963(?) - a Jim Davenport model Wilson. Gloves from that time looked a lot more like updates of gloves from the the late '30s, '40s and '50s than this glove does.

At any rate, it's probably 50 years old or more. Great glove!

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Broke out the laptop and did some digging on the aforementioned forum and it does look to be early 60s. More to come as I dig more.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting story: At one point, Musial played both outfield and first base. First base mitts at the time were often 6 finger traps and when Musial wanted one glove that he could use in both positions, the six-finger trap outfield glove was invented or so the story goes.

Yes, this was a way popular mitt design back then.

s-l1600.jpg