Help! Wrist roll on swing = no backspin

The Predator

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't believe in lining up your knuckles. I like to pick the bat up just like I was picking up my 1 wood. The closer you bring your forearms together the more back spin you will get. With the right spin from the right swing you can get extra distance.
Friend Of The Alien

s2ntburd

Addicted to Softballfans
swing down on the ball. Watch the swing mechanics video. You need to start your swing high and swing down hitting the bottom half of the ball. The video has a good way to practice the swing. Set a tee up with the ball where you usuall like it and set another tee up about a foot behind it a couple inches higher so you have to swing over that tee and down on the ball until you feel you can do it. Really works..

Sluggo

Addicted to Softballfans
The third picture in that knuckle alignment example is exactly how my knuckles normally line up. It feels a bit awkward when I attempt to line my knocker knuckles up, which is probably why they end up the way they do.

Stupid storms are preventing my swing time outside so I am waiting patiently to try this out. Might head to the only indoor hitting facility within 50 miles, but i hate paying for practice.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
The third picture in that knuckle alignment example is exactly how my knuckles normally line up. It feels a bit awkward when I attempt to line my knocker knuckles up, which is probably why they end up the way they do.

Wanna know what's weird........................Do what is fundamentally correct long enough and soon it will fell natural. I can't even begin to count the amount of people who say, "But, when I do it it feels funny............." Well, duh!! You've been doing it wrong too long. This is a perfect example.

Sluggo

Addicted to Softballfans
Wanna know what's weird........................Do what is fundamentally correct long enough and soon it will fell natural. I can't even begin to count the amount of people who say, "But, when I do it it feels funny............." Well, duh!! You've been doing it wrong too long. This is a perfect example.

Not weird, I have just gotten by on bad technique. Since I am now not able to able longer, I just have to work harder if I want to be more effective.

Sluggo

Addicted to Softballfans
Totally missing the point...............But, thanks for playing.

If your point is that I think it is weird because I have been doing it differently all my life I get it.:rolleyes:

No need to use a sledgehammer when a regular hammer will do.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
If your point is that I think it is weird because I have been doing it differently all my life I get it.:rolleyes:

Not really......That your peformance may have been elevated this whole time by using a correct grip long enough to make feel comfortable, rather than just saying, "It feels weird......." and giving up on it.

We see a lot of times where people say, "Comfort is the most important thing....." when it is not.

The Guy

Outstanding Bad Dealer
"Throw the knob" at the ball.. but keep your hands inside it by throwing your hips out.. and WAIT on it. Rolling over can come from swinging early.

Rolling over can come from hand position on the bat as well. What does your grip look like?

Sluggo

Addicted to Softballfans
Not really......That your peformance may have been elevated this whole time by using a correct grip long enough to make feel comfortable, rather than just saying, "It feels weird......." and giving up on it.

We see a lot of times where people say, "Comfort is the most important thing....." when it is not.

The flaw in this statement is your presumption that I had previously tried to remedy my known flaw with aligning my knuckles. I haven't tried it until it was mentioned in this post. I haven't practiced it since then due to the previous reasons listed.

So I haven't given up on anything. I haven't had a chance to really even apply it yet. I said it feels weird when, directly after reading that comment, lined my knuckles up in a mock grip.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
The flaw in this statement is your presumption that I had previously tried to remedy my known flaw with aligning my knuckles. I haven't tried it until it was mentioned in this post. I haven't practiced it since then due to the previous reasons listed.

So I haven't given up on anything. I haven't had a chance to really even apply it yet. I said it feels weird when, directly after reading that comment, lined my knuckles up in a mock grip.

I misread this somehow??

Biggons34

Starting Player
Swing and Primo...wassup fellas. Hope all has been well. Havent been on in a bit :)

But there is so much talk about the top half of the body. So many i see hitting top spinning balls (which btw isnt a bad thing if ur consistent, nearly impossible to defend) are collapsed on the backside either during or at the start of the swing. In my opinion a "upper cut" and a "upward swing" are 2 different things:

Upward swing, means the plane of the swing can be a good path good mechanics (overall), but just on an upward plane- this isnt a bad thing

upper cut, means a loopy down then up swing- produce freaking horrible results

I think the lower body contributes to the style of ball you hit....just my opinion:)

Biggons34

Starting Player
Yessir, I laid off the message boards for a while, took alot of **** last year after the near death thing, and then the middle ****, and so on and so on....We won the worlds last year in Class B usssa so to all the nay sayers, poop on ya :) outisde of that been lifting like crazy since thanksgiving and hitting, trymn to keep warm and healthy and enjoy the fam. How about you bro...how you been? And can I say "i told you so" on the helmer ;)

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Yessir, I laid off the message boards for a while, took alot of **** last year after the near death thing, and then the middle ****, and so on and so on....We won the worlds last year in Class B usssa so to all the nay sayers, poop on ya :) outisde of that been lifting like crazy since thanksgiving and hitting, trymn to keep warm and healthy and enjoy the fam. How about you bro...how you been? And can I say "i told you so" on the helmer ;)

Lifting, playing, working, playing, lifting, playing.......Listening to the wife *****, *****, ***** about....Lifting, playing, working, playing, lifting, playing........Yes, you did with the Helmer. I like it very much....What's the next hot one from Easton?

Biggons34

Starting Player
Ill get you another steal,,,,,,,,things are kinda hush hush for now, but I was told to get my 2009 and 08 in for exchange on the new line we will see, and I will hook up up. Right now i am swinging the og synergy 9black gold) reissue really like em, cuz of the massive end load. Swinging a 28 and love it....

I hear ya on the wife thing....weve been buried in the snow since just after thanksgiving. been warmer last couple of days but still got a foot to get rid of (but two more storms back to back on sun thru tues dammit) Hopefully theyll be the last ones, cause cage and dome life gets old :)

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Ill get you another steal,,,,,,,,things are kinda hush hush for now, but I was told to get my 2009 and 08 in for exchange on the new line we will see, and I will hook up up. Right now i am swinging the og synergy 9black gold) reissue really like em, cuz of the massive end load. Swinging a 28 and love it....

I hear ya on the wife thing....weve been buried in the snow since just after thanksgiving. been warmer last couple of days but still got a foot to get rid of (but two more storms back to back on sun thru tues dammit) Hopefully theyll be the last ones, cause cage and dome life gets old :)

Keep me posted on the bats and let me know what is up when you get something I may be interested in. I'm swinging a Snyergy 2 for Utrip and just picked up a low swing second batch OG Synergy and the one time I've swung it have been very impressed. I just can't get away from the Syn 2....I love it.

Biggons34

Starting Player
Bottom line- endloads feel great to me...period. And it sounds like ur the same type of cat....I will keep you posted softball brother....and hope to play with you soon. Sounds like we may be headed to seattle for that major, i know ur way the flock out west, maybe i can get ya down ;)

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Bottom line- endloads feel great to me...period. And it sounds like ur the same type of cat....I will keep you posted softball brother....and hope to play with you soon. Sounds like we may be headed to seattle for that major, i know ur way the flock out west, maybe i can get ya down ;)

Very, very cool.

stix21

Farmer (I plant seeds)
Yeah........After the ball has left the bat..........Snapping the wrists takes place at contact......Rolling them over should happen after the ball has left the bat. If you're "rolling" your wrists on contact, you have a problem with your swing.

I was taught (and currently use) TO make contact at the point when your wrists roll over. That is the greatest point of the bats speed. using a full swing the end cap of the bat travels approx 6 feet in, about a second. However at the point when your wrist begin to turn over - then cut thru the zone, and completely turn over, The end cap travels about 4.5 feet, in an instant.

For a R handed batter, if your right hand turns over your left, you will generate top spin... as with the OP. Instead try turning your left hand under, this will cause the bat the cut throught the zone straighter. This is takes practice and really only works effectively with balls that are chest high, and contact is out in front.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I was taught (and currently use) TO make contact at the point when your wrists roll over. That is the greatest point of the bats speed. using a full swing the end cap of the bat travels approx 6 feet in, about a second. However at the point when your wrist begin to turn over - then cut thru the zone, and completely turn over, The end cap travels about 4.5 feet, in an instant.

For a R handed batter, if your right hand turns over your left, you will generate top spin... as with the OP. Instead try turning your left hand under, this will cause the bat the cut throught the zone straighter. This is takes practice and really only works effectively with balls that are chest high, and contact is out in front.

I would say that this wrong........Snapping wrists??? Yes, but the actual rollover should take place well after the ball has left the bat and the uppbody has begun to slow it's rotation and arms are full extension...Any earlier and it is a swing flaw. Please accept that you were taught wrong......and learn a better way.