NSA Hi Five Batter Runner on home run called out

Blues,

Can you please explain the rule that would have a batter-runner called out when they are high fived by teammates on an over the fence home run? Is there a difference between USSSA, ASA, and NSA? What about the coach? I witnessed this in an NSA game and couldn't believe it. Please tell me it's not the assisting a runner rule.

Thanks,
M

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Blues,

Can you please explain the rule that would have a batter-runner called out when they are high fived by teammates on an over the fence home run? Is there a difference between USSSA, ASA, and NSA? What about the coach? I witnessed this in an NSA game and couldn't believe it. Please tell me it's not the assisting a runner rule.

Thanks,
M

This is an umpire misunderstanding the assisting a runner rule. I have heard lots of umpires and players who think that a base coach making contact with a runner is an automatic out. Being that NSA slowpitch is hit and sit, this call got blown even worse since he is calling an out for assisting the runner in a dead ball situation.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I should state that this is fastpitch...........

....and it is still the incorrect ruling.

This is an old "playground rule myth" that, unfortunately, rears it's ugly head season after season. Well, it's a little bit unfortunate when a player, coach or spectator believes this old myth. But it's really unfortunate when the one person on the field who is supposed to know the rule blows it!

Like most rule myths, there might be a tiny kernel of truth behind it, but the rule is being misinterpreted in some way. It is prohibited for a coach, or anyone other than another runner, to assist a runner during a live ball. Somewhere along the line, those not familiar with the actual rule have took this to mean that no one may EVER touch a runner. That simply isn't the case and isn't the correct application of the rule.

For starters, on a home run the ball is dead. Remember, coaches or non-runners are prohibited from assisting runners during a live ball.

Secondly, the coach or non-runner must actually do something that assists or aids the runner in running the bases. Examples would be helping up a runner who has fallen, pushing the runner toward a base, or grabbing a runner to stop them from advancing. A congratulatory slap generally isn't going to fall under the definition of assisting the runner.

The list of rule myths is a long one and this one is probably near the top. I can remember a few dust ups over this rule all the way back to when I played youth baseball and that was a looong time ago!

spos21ram

The Legend
The screwd up thing about this is that a similar situation happened to my team last year in USSSA men's league. One of the runners on an over the fence HR stepped over the plate, a teammate pushed him and said make sure u touch the plate. Runner touches home before the next runner, yet the umpire calls him out. We protest, i call regional and national UIC's and they said the runner was assisted even though i referenced in the rule book that a HR is a dead ball and assisting the runner can only happen on a live play.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The screwd up thing about this is that a similar situation happened to my team last year in USSSA men's league. One of the runners on an over the fence HR stepped over the plate, a teammate pushed him and said make sure u touch the plate. Runner touches home before the next runner, yet the umpire calls him out. We protest, i call regional and national UIC's and they said the runner was assisted even though i referenced in the rule book that a HR is a dead ball and assisting the runner can only happen on a live play.

I don't know about USSSA, but under ASA rules this is the lone exception where you can have a runner (actually, a runner who has already scored) be called out for assistance even if the ball is dead.

If a runner has scored, but missed the plate, he is out if physically assisted to go back and touch it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Are umps really looking for players to "high five" each other to call an out? Where do they come up with stuff?

It's one of those myths that players and umpires keep perpetuating. They get too focused on the "physical" part and less on the "assists" part of the rule.