History Buffs - Wicked Xtra - I'm worth n00b

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
Hello,

So playing ASA today and somebody has a Wicked Xtra (XWICKX) that cannot be used. So I said I'd take. I now have it :D BUT....... my question is, why is this banned from ASA? I have not swung it yet, but have swung the RD28 a bunch and that is not banned. So since this is banned from ASA, I take it that it "MUST" be better than a RD28 and Freak 98? :rolleyes: Don't mind the rolleyes there, but I just want to know what I got. Will it work in utrip fine? Is the ban a joke and the Toxic, RD28 and Freak 98 are better??? THANKS! Just looking for any info on the bat ( and no, I won't just sell it for 10 bucks so gfy with those replies :) )

Ben_Johnson41

The Gr8est Show on Dirt™
The Wicked is nothing special in comparison to the F98, Rd, Flex, ext., or any of the other top ASA bats that are still legal.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
What being banned means is that it failed "field" tests at some point I believe, which means it exceeds (or some exceeded) the 98 mph limit. Theoretically, hit on the screws a bat that exceeds the 98 MPH limit SHOULD exceed the BBS of a post-ABI bat. Just because a bat is metal (I think that Wicked was metal, there was at least one composite one I remember, probably more) doesn't necessarily mean it will have have inferior performance, despite what this board might make you think. That doesn't mean it is a superior bat (which as I say below is subjective), but it does mean that it in theory should (or rather could) have a superior batted ball speed to a post-ABI composite when hit on the sweet spot. The Toxic and RD28 are post-ABI, the F98 would be pre-ABI. However, I think the White Toxic had the production ceased due to the fact that they were exceeding 98 mph in field testing but weren't banned, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, "better" is such a subjective thing. For example, there are alot of guys that just can't hit PST's well, but the guys that do swear by them. They have relatively small sweet spots, but tend to have great pop. On the other hand, the Demarini Creature has the reputation of having a huge sweet spot but just OK pop. Which is better? It depends on the person.

Finally, while it's worth more than $10 for sure, you probably wouldn't get more than $45ish for it. With the Utrip ban over the horizon and the bat being banned in ASA, it's usable life is pretty short.

Joker

it was approved under a completely different test then the RD28 or freak98. in a test it may preform better than those bats, but also remember the freak98 out of the wrapper is a log. the sweetspot on the 2 composites is much larger than the wicked.

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
Cool, thanks bros! I'm sure I'll get some use out of it then even if it's just BP

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
Last question for Joker - would you use it in a league that let you use a bat with any ASA stamp other than an original Ultra? What do you think of it if a person can find the sweet spot?

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Last question for Joker - would you use it in a league that let you use a bat with any ASA stamp other than an original Ultra? What do you think of it if a person can find the sweet spot?

Not Joker, but there are arguably better banned bats with the ASA stamp (XPST4, Ultra 2, Nokona Tomahawk, SCX2, SCX22, Lady Virus come to mind). As far as a bang for your buck bat, though, it shouldn't do too bad.

Joker

i would, but i liked that bat. like what was said above, there are much better bats. SB34 is another one that comes to mind

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
Not Joker, but there are arguably better banned bats with the ASA stamp (XPST4, Ultra 2, Nokona Tomahawk, SCX2, SCX22, Lady Virus come to mind). As far as a bang for your buck bat, though, it shouldn't do too bad.

Forgot about the Lady Virus, someone on the team has one. It's just a small little tournament next weekend, but those are the rules so trying to find the "best bat", lol. Ultra 2 is banned from the tourney, I think all Mikens are in fact. I'm an Easton noob as well, so not sure if any of those you mentioned is the synergy 2 (I don't have time to search, I'm watching the nascar race, lol), but someone will have a synergy 2 as well if it is allowed.

Long story short, sorry for the long thread but just wondering about the wicked xtra. I did just take 2 swings with it in the last 20 minutes and ME LIKEY! Hit the ss both times, but the sound is..... um.... bizarre? LOL. I'll probably just stick to the rd28 most of the time, but will pull this out later in the day. I suck but the 2 quick swings I took and hit on the screws felt like a utrip. *******! might use it! WOOP WOOP!

BIG JOE

One hit left!
Once the wicked turns into a triangle.... It hits bombs! Falt out nasty. I had 3 of them and they were all 3 nasty! I saw 3 of the longest HR's hit with them. I didn't hit them but it was my bat!