ASA Hit baserunner ruling

blakcherry329

Here's the scenario...

Runners on first and second, one out. Ground ball up the middle, pitcher deflects it with his glove and it hits the runner going from second to third. SS fields the ball and turns a dp.
What is the correct call in this situation?

The ump, in this case, called dead ball and the runner at second out. I didn't think this was correct since the pitcher touched the ball before it hit the runner. But I wasn't sure.

duke1985

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought that after a ball was touched that the fielders had to apply a tag or play the force outs. Kinda like a player getting hit by a ball that was thrown.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I thought that after a ball was touched that the fielders had to apply a tag or play the force outs. Kinda like a player getting hit by a ball that was thrown.

Slight wording difference here: If a runner is struck with a batted ball that was already deflected by a player, they are not out unless they intentionally interfere. The play continues as though nothing ever happened.

blakcherry329

Slight wording difference here: If a runner is struck with a batted ball that was already deflected by a player, they are not out unless they intentionally interfere. The play continues as though nothing ever happened.

That's what I thought. The ump's ruling saved us a double play. Didn't matter cuz I hit a shot down the line that the 3b snagged and ended the inning anyway.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification.:D