Hitting 52/300 ball in high humidity

The type of ball has no difference on how well it carries once in the air. All balls travel further in hot humid all other things equal. What drops is the exit speed off the bat as the ball softens up a bit. Put a charge in one and it will fly the same as any other ball.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
So yesterday was like 75% humidity/ 65 degrees around 8pm and I had 2 balls I hit just die. Hit what I thought were no doubters and the ball hit the wall both times. Couldn't believe it. I have hit enough balls out to know when I got them and wow.

yes - i looked like an idiot felt worse.

I now open up the forum to your scorn and commentary about how 52/300 sucks in humidity.:biggthumpup:

What ball were you hitting? I use the ZN's and have no problems with them.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Was a thunder xy?... either way - i've hit enough bombs to know when I get the ball well enough to leave. It was shocking to not have the ball leave and the only thing I could think of was the temp/humidity.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It flies worth than even a Hot Dot in my experience.

I was just told Worth is the official sponsor of our area. Yay. At least I hadn't bought anything else yet.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Was a thunder xy?... either way - i've hit enough bombs to know when I get the ball well enough to leave. It was shocking to not have the ball leave and the only thing I could think of was the temp/humidity.

Wasn't doubting your ability to get one out but those balls are not good.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I find that I hit the same number of HRs with 52s as I did before with .44s. If anything I hit slightly MORE HRs during the hottest months of the year now because the .52s don't lose as much carry in the heat as the .44s did.

I prefer heavy, endloaded bats to hit them too. 28s and 30s.

We switched from Classic Plus's to Classic M's, but I hit plenty of HR's using my Psycho and Raw Steel against the Plus's. In BP, the 30oz PST120 was not as good as the Raw Steel or the Pyscho, neither was the 32oz Techwrap. I loose a little bat speed with both bats, and the difference really shows with the .52's. My 29oz XPST4 is really boss against .52's. Hitting old U-trip Distance balls and .44/575's, the 32oz Techwrap, PST120 are pretty darn sick. If we played U-trip in the summer, we might hit .52's, but that's when we play in a local league that allows 5 HR's and .44COR anything. My guys like playing out there cause they get to hit a HR, but the result is that the idiots go for solos because if you don't hit a HR in your first at bat, you probably won't get to. We frequently use all five HR's in the first inning, and then loose if the opposing team is good.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Hmmm...I play in an over fifty league that uses 52/300 and we have guys hitting them over pretty regular. It's fairly humid here in east Texas and almost always hot.

I play over 50, I think w SB12s ,over 55 w 52/300. Both suck and are left in the heat. What bats are all yous guys using? Both of mine are single wall, really sucks.
Where I can I usa double wall,even over composites

I play over 50, I think w SB12s ,over 55 w 52/300. Both suck and are left in the heat. What bats are all yous guys using? Both of mine are single wall, really sucks.
Where I can I usa double wall,even over composites

i play in the same league as dave....and we use senior bats in our senior league...we also play on 300' fields....and balls do go out......

jhitman

I play 50+ and 55+ here in MD. We can use ASA or USSSSA bats, but can't use senior bats. The HR's are becoming very scarce this season. I have 8 in 16 games and the next closest person on the teams I play on is 1. It seems to be the same across the board in the senior leagues here. I've seen a few HR's in other games but not many.
There was a suggestion to let us use senior bats for league play, but got voted down. It's too bad because I just got a Melee2 and it hits everything good.

Ballisttic

Star Player

Maybe it was just you that day and not the ball at all.

I will say hitting them in 95 degree max humidity weather seems to soften them up some though. Here mid 90s has been are temps at 7pm lately with max humidity.

pears

Addicted to Softballfans
My team picked up some Tattoo nx3 balls for this weekend, we'll see how they do.

Edit: The Nx3 balls were nice, team liked them. Could easily have used one the entire tourney, very durable ball. The only complaint I have, is how difficult it was to pitch some bp to my guys with the "tackyness" these balls have. Most likely it is the way I hold the ball. Like I said though, very nice ball!

Last edited: