USSSA Hitting a pitch after/as it hits the ground?

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
Legal?

I am a horrible batter because I swing at everything. I hit a ball last night and my team swears I hit it off the ground or after it bounced. Nothing in this thread about bouncing, and nothing in the USSSA rule book under "bounce"

And yes, I probably should have been called out for stepping out of the box when I hit it, damn thing was way outside, short and low. But I just have to swing at that first pitch. (btw, safe at first!)

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule 7-4-B says that a pitch hitting the ground before reaching the plate is a ball.

The "EFFECT" at the end of that section says the ball is dead.

You can't bat a dead ball into play!

I did have a kid bat a clean single on a bounced pitch last weekend...in fastpitch.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Rule 7-4-B says that a pitch hitting the ground before reaching the plate is a ball.

I did have a kid bat a clean single on a bounced pitch last weekend...in fastpitch.

...where, unlike in slow pitch, it's legal to do so. :)

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew

I'm assuming that's the rule in utrip (since that's what the OP was asking about)...what about in other sanctions?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm assuming that's the rule in utrip (since that's what the OP was asking about)...what about in other sanctions?

Usually the same in most sanctions:
ASA 7-4-B:
Any pitched ball that hits the ground or plate cannot be legally swung at by the batter.

NSA 6-7
EXCEPTION: In the Men’s Elite division the ball that hits the ground or the plate is not dead, however, the ball may not be hit.

Senior Softball USA 6.15:
A pitched ball hitting the ground in front of home plate is a dead ball. A ball shall be called on the batter.
And 7.5:
Any pitched ball that hits the ground, plate or mat cannot be legally swung at by the batter. NOTE: If the batter swings at a pitch after the ball hits the ground, the ball is dead and all runners return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. A ball is called.

And then there's ISA:
ISA 7-2-C: The pitch must have a perceptible arch, having a minimum height of 4 feet, and a maximum of 10 feet from the ground, in the umpire's judgment.
Note: If a batter swings at a pitch, after it hits the ground or the plate, the batter is out and ejected from the game
I had to read that a few times to make sure I read it right! :eek::eek::eek:

And y'all say ASA is strict?

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Based on ASA rule, it's a dead ball / "ball" but if batter swings at it,
batter gets a strike. That's what I'm seeing at ASA league and tournaments
but apparently every association have a different rule! :eek:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Based on ASA rule, it's a dead ball / "ball" but if batter swings at it,
batter gets a strike. That's what I'm seeing at ASA league and tournaments
but apparently every association have a different rule! :eek:

A pitch that hits the ground can not be legally swung at.

If the started their swing before it hit the ground, I'll call the strike, but it's a dead ball. If it clearly hit the ground before they started their swing, it's a ball.

Hwick6

Lights Out Sports Coach
Happened tonight in a utrip league... ball was fouled off after bouncing in front of the plate and ump called it a foul... after the inning I mention the rule and he agreed that he made the wrong call after I pointed it out... at least he admitted his mistake and said he has rarely seen it happen ... im the first person to point out the rule to him.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans

Is it different if the ball had reached the plate or bounced on the plate?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The above rule says that a pitch hitting either the ground or the plate cannot be legally swung at.

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks for pointing out the effect, I didn't catch that when I was looking through the book.