Any hitting the middle

jrcheney

Addicted to Softballfans
in my league game today, i didnt wait long enough on an outside pitch and hit the middle, the hit was a hard groundball off the pitchers leg, the umpire pulled my bat and i couldnt use it again until the league director looked at it. I have heard about bats getting pulled for head shots and stuff so i was just curious if there is a rule on when the bat is supposed to be pulled or is it just up to the umpire

aburhart

Just call me B
Hard to say. Different rules for all leagues. In my league there is no rule about your bat being taken if you hit the pitcher.

MVP#22

Addicted to Softballfans
in my league game today, i didnt wait long enough on an outside pitch and hit the middle, the hit was a hard groundball off the pitchers leg, the umpire pulled my bat and i couldnt use it again until the league director looked at it. I have heard about bats getting pulled for head shots and stuff so i was just curious if there is a rule on when the bat is supposed to be pulled or is it just up to the umpire

i know in NSA any batted ball the hits a player on the field and that said player has to leave the game the bat and ball must be taken

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
That rule exists in FREEDOM SOFTBALL.

REMOVAL OF EQUIPMENT – All Freedom Sports Directors and Umpires have the right at any given time to inspect or remove equipment from a said game or complex. Any refusals of this will result in suspensions for teams and players.
If a batted ball strikes a player in the Infield (grounder, line-drive, etc) and hits a player the umpire has the right to remove the bat and ball from the game for inspection, that said player does not need to leave the game for this action to take place.

If it is in USSSA, ISA, or ASA, it is a league or tournament rule. I do not know NSA, but the rule book link is in the Sticky.

Last edited:

rclark3311

That rule exists in FREEDOM SOFTBALL.

If it is in USSSA, ISA, or ASA, it is a league or tournament rule. I do not know NSA, but the rule book link is in the Sticky.

I was just going to post this.... All i play is freedom. I have had 4 bats taken so far this year for hitting pitchers and 3rd basemans.. All bats have been returned cleaned. Most of the time they have a compression tester at the field and you get the bat back at the end of the tourney. If they dont have the tester it takes about 4-6 weeks for ken or gregg to return your bat

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats weird cuz the low balls are hardest to catch and hardest to dodge for pitchers. Ive hit balls that the pitcher ducked to get out of the way of that were hit much harder than ones ive hit guys in the foot with so the "if it hits the pitcher, pull it" dont make much sense

rclark3311

There are some umpires that will not pull the bat if it is not hit hard and there are others that pull anything. I agree and disagree with the rule. I can honestly this rule has got alot of people caught for swinging dirty bats.. If you have clean bats there are no worries

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
I was just going to post this.... All i play is freedom. I have had 4 bats taken so far this year for hitting pitchers and 3rd basemans.. All bats have been returned cleaned. Most of the time they have a compression tester at the field and you get the bat back at the end of the tourney. If they dont have the tester it takes about 4-6 weeks for ken or gregg to return your bat

When they actually send it off are they popping the end cap off to check for shaving of the bats?

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
I have only played one Freedom tourney. They looked at the endcap and put it in a compression tester. It was not a big deal as you got it back by the end of that same game in most cases.

The part that sucks is that you have to carry several bats because of the cheaters.

rclark3311

When they actually send it off are they popping the end cap off to check for shaving of the bats?

No it just goes to the head directors/owners house to be put on a compression tester. If it fails then the send it out to the manufactures to get checked

jrcheney

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah i was actually glad to see he pulled it, i knew it wasnt shaved so i was good. what bothered me is as far as testing all the league director did was look at the cap and then check the weight and then shook the bat a few times. Sad thing is its going to take someone getting hurt really bad before the put any compression test in effect

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Yes, Chicken Little is an American and very active.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Why? You've never seen a player hurt by a wood or aluminum bat?

Yes I have. The issue is the cheaters. Aluminum bats and wooden bats have been and still will be altered... BUT, not with the ease that you can alter a composite bat.

Level the playing field, make the game about pitting one man's abilities against another's and get away from one man's equipment is better than the other man's...

neptunefix

Addicted to Softballfans
All this fuss over hitting the ball to a player.

Why not just put a screen out there and play coach's pitch?

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Level the playing field, make the game about pitting one man's abilities against another's and get away from one man's equipment is better than the other man's...

While I can appreciate the sentiment, banning composites won't remove the superiority of certain equipment from the game. Even if all non-wood bats were banned, it still applies. The disparity may decrease, but it will always exist.

A Nanotek or White Steel will always perform better than a Reflex, and a top-of-the-line bamboo Viper will outperform the bottom-of-the-barrel $25 Slugger wood bat.

jrcheney

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah you will see it alot here in tournament ball, to me its all good as long as your not doing trying to hurt someone, you will see some guys on teams that are getting beat bad just hitting shots up the middle trying to make a statement.

Fury Fighter

Manager
yeah you will see it alot here in tournament ball, to me its all good as long as your not doing trying to hurt someone, you will see some guys on teams that are getting beat bad just hitting shots up the middle trying to make a statement.

quit hitting the middle you ****!!!! ******* cheater!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
While I can appreciate the sentiment, banning composites won't remove the superiority of certain equipment from the game. Even if all non-wood bats were banned, it still applies. The disparity may decrease, but it will always exist.

A Nanotek or White Steel will always perform better than a Reflex, and a top-of-the-line bamboo Viper will outperform the bottom-of-the-barrel $25 Slugger wood bat.

I have no issues with technology. That is not what I was trying to say.

I bought my first DDW in 1995 because it was the best you could LEGALLY swing. Anyone that wanted to plunk down $300 could get one.
Same with any of the top bats today. My issue is the altering.

Until they come up with a foolproof testing or anti tampering method, I will stand by my "Ban Composites" statement.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have no issues with technology. That is not what I was trying to say.

I bought my first DDW in 1995 because it was the best you could LEGALLY swing. Anyone that wanted to plunk down $300 could get one.
Same with any of the top bats today. My issue is the altering.

Until they come up with a foolproof testing or anti tampering method, I will stand by my "Ban Composites" statement.

But it's not just the composites that get tampered with. Even the metal bats can be altered to be hotter than what ASA or USSSA allow.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
All this talk about not hitting up the middle is great. However, sometimes it can not be avoided and when someone is doing it on purpose you can tell. I am a pitching and my philosophy has been field your position or get out of the way. If you can not do either then you should not be pitching.

rclark3311

Most the time pitchers get hit is pitchin outside to pull hitters. I know when i am at the plate trying to pull the ball if it is outside the pitcher is getting hummed. Not on purpose its just where it goes. Alot of times i see pitchers get hit who have no reason of being on the mound.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
All this talk about not hitting up the middle is great. However, sometimes it can not be avoided and when someone is doing it on purpose you can tell. I am a pitching and my philosophy has been field your position or get out of the way. If you can not do either then you should not be pitching.

That's great... until you start dealing with bats that have been doctored. A pitcher that's 50-60 feet away and probably still back-pedaling is going to have a tough time fielding a ball that's coming at him at well over 100 MPH.