Hitting up the Middle

mav3134

Manager
Just a general thought to maybe help save a pitcher at some point out there:

I am sick and tired of meat heads complaining that it's the pitcher's fault when they crush a ball back at his head because the pitch was outside. Learn how to hit the ball! Simple concept, if the pitch is inside go to the left side of the field, if it's outside, hit to the right side of the field, if it's down the middle, pick whichever you want! If you can't do anything but swing a bat blindly and possibly injure a pitcher then that is your fault. Don't tell me I'm "lucky" that you didn't swing at an outside pitch because it would have come back at me. I'm not trying to injure you with my pitch going 20mph, so stop trying to injure me with a 90-100mph line drive. Learn how to swing and we can all have fun.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
I'm not trying to kill you, but if you're not running a 5-man, that's a big hole to hit through. What I don't like is pitchers bitching because a ball came within 10 feet of the the pitching plate and was a daisy cutter no higher than the ankles.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans

I am sick and tired of meat heads complaining that it's the pitcher's fault when they crush a ball back at his head because the pitch was outside. Learn how to hit the ball! Simple concept, if the pitch is inside go to the left side of the field, if it's outside, hit to the right side of the field, if it's down the middle, pick whichever you want! If you can't do anything but swing a bat blindly and possibly injure a pitcher then that is your fault. Don't tell me I'm "lucky" that you didn't swing at an outside pitch because it would have come back at me. I'm not trying to injure you with my pitch going 20mph, so stop trying to injure me with a 90-100mph line drive. Learn how to swing and we can all have fun.

You also blame the restaurant for coffee being too hot and burning you when you spill it on yourself, don't you?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've played 3b for years and I've never once gotten upset at right-handed batters ripping hard liners and one-hoppers my way. As a pitcher, you're the fielder that's closest to the batter and you are going to get some hard shots your way. It's part of the game. The only time you'd ever have the right to complain is if you knew someone was deliberately trying to drill you.

When you have players telling you that you're lucky they're not swinging at your outside pitches, maybe take that as a hint to stop throwing outside pitches. If everything you throw is low and outside, you're gonna get smoked, on purpose or not. You're placing 100% of the blame on the batter not having control, maybe you should just locate your pitches better.

mav3134

Manager
You also blame the restaurant for coffee being too hot and burning you when you spill it on yourself, don't you?

That's the dumbest thing you could have said. Assuming "spilling" in this scenario is "pitching outside", and getting "burnt" is getting the ball hit up the middle, hot coffee burning you would be inevitable, not something you can control. Last time I checked, you can control hitting. Or at least some people can, I'm guessing not you if that was your response.

Also, in the league I play in it's an automatic out if you hit it up the middle with a "pitcher zone" that is 4 ft wide. So trying to get it a hit up the middle would be irrelevant, and even a 2nd way the hitter is being an idiot because he's giving himself no chance to get a hit.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
That's the dumbest thing you could have said. Assuming "spilling" in this scenario is "pitching outside", and getting "burnt" is getting the ball hit up the middle, hot coffee burning you would be inevitable, not something you can control. Last time I checked, you can control hitting. Or at least some people can, I'm guessing not you if that was your response.

Also, in the league I play in it's an automatic out if you hit it up the middle with a "pitcher zone" that is 4 ft wide. So trying to get it a hit up the middle would be irrelevant, and even a 2nd way the hitter is being an idiot because he's giving himself no chance to get a hit.

Nowhere close to the dumbest thing I could have said, but thank you. It was a metaphor which you totally missed....just like the moderately struck ball that came within your 8ft safety box which I assume prompted your original post. I play the position and assume all risks in doing so, you should too or go play another position/game.

mav3134

Manager
I've played 3b for years and I've never once gotten upset at right-handed batters ripping hard liners and one-hoppers my way. As a pitcher, you're the fielder that's closest to the batter and you are going to get some hard shots your way. It's part of the game. The only time you'd ever have the right to complain is if you knew someone was deliberately trying to drill you.

When you have players telling you that you're lucky they're not swinging at your outside pitches, maybe take that as a hint to stop throwing outside pitches. If everything you throw is low and outside, you're gonna get smoked, on purpose or not. You're placing 100% of the blame on the batter not having control, maybe you should just locate your pitches better.

The plate is 12 inches wide, the field usually has about 80+ ft total counting either side of the pitcher. Blame the pitcher for not controlling a pitch within 6 inches instead of a hitter for not controlling being able to hit 80+ ft of that isn't the pitcher?

If it's an accident of course I'm not going to get pissed. I've hit up the middle on accident, I say hey sorry about that and we go about our business. I know that happens and have zero problem with that whatsoever. It's the guys that make it seem like that's the only thing that can happen on an outside pitch. Again, learn how to hit and not only will nobody get hurt, you actually have a better chance at getting a hit too!

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not trying to kill you. I'm trying to get a hit.

If you can't field it, being a softball pitcher in a competitive setting maybe isn't your thing.

X2

Nobody's holding a gun to your head making you play pitcher. I don't pitch because I don't want to get blown up. Quit complaining or you can always dress up like a hockey goalie...

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
The plate is 12 inches wide, the field usually has about 80+ ft total counting either side of the pitcher. Blame the pitcher for not controlling a pitch within 6 inches instead of a hitter for not controlling being able to hit 80+ ft of that isn't the pitcher?

If it's an accident of course I'm not going to get pissed. I've hit up the middle on accident, I say hey sorry about that and we go about our business. I know that happens and have zero problem with that whatsoever. It's the guys that make it seem like that's the only thing that can happen on an outside pitch. Again, learn how to hit and not only will nobody get hurt, you actually have a better chance at getting a hit too!

It's starting to become quite apparent why people "hit at you"....IJS

Country469

I suppose you intentionally don't make plays on balls up the middle, cuz it would be a ***** move to get someone out who accidentally hit it there when they had the whole rest of the field to use.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitched for close to 20 years, and the OP is way off, just the hazards of the game. Thank God the 52 doesn't sting nearly as bad as the old 44, but get some equipment and work on your reflexes. Then they'll stop hitting it up the middle so much. Nothing p***y about wearing catcher's equipment and using your body as a shield to rob hits from people who don't have the skill to elevate the ball over the middle.

I will say, though, that Hiltz is right with his intentions but not very accurate. Easy to make that comment when you're 70-80' ft away from that hot shot instead of 48'. Try comparing apples with apples.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Make that 45-46' if they're doing the Happy Gilmore ball-whacker dude BS of running up in the box.

mav3134

Manager
I only get mad if I know it was done on purpose. Other than that, I prefer them hitting it near me.

Absolutely, this is what I'm referring to. Obviously I know accidents happen, not worried about that. It's the guys that clearly make it a point that they are doing it on purpose.

blakcherry329

This irks the crap outta me. Like Bernie Mac said, "I ain't scared of you Mother ****ers!" Swing or don't swing, idc. But save that bs. If it comes back at me, oh well. Middle is part of the field. That's why I wear a LAX Helmet and shin guards.

Last edited:

Country469

Absolutely, this is what I'm referring to. Obviously I know accidents happen, not worried about that. It's the guys that clearly make it a point that they are doing it on purpose.

trying to physically harm you, fine you have a point. Hitting up the middle near you on purpose, **** off. I'll hit the middle on purpose all ****ing day long, no remorse. You don't like it? Catch it, put a middle man there, or walk me.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
There are not many hitters who have the skill to hit the ball in a spot 2' wide consistently to try and hit you on purpose to hurt you. If they're doing so, the best way to get back at someone trying to hurt you is be prepared for it, fumble the ball until they're almost to 1st base, then bean them in the head. When the little b***h cries about it, say you were just trying to make a play.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i hit middle all the time as long as its not coed or church league. in a 5 man i'm right handed so they will run the MIF usually on the SS side of second so i will try and pound it in between the pitcher and 2b which is usually the largest hole i got. do i get into the pitcher? occasionally. oh well.

lilhoff

Coach
I've played 21 years and pitched the last 5. Anywhere from church league through to playing B division in our local co-ed league this year. Only time this was ever an issue was in church league hitting blue dots with metal bats and the odd Syn2. The higher I play the more understanding of the position and competent the players are. Meaning, if it's hit up the middle play the ball and get the out. If it's done on purpose both teams let them know it's not acceptable.
Funny thing is some guys apologize for hitting it 5 feet to the side of me.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
i hit middle all the time as long as its not coed or church league. in a 5 man i'm right handed so they will run the MIF usually on the SS side of second so i will try and pound it in between the pitcher and 2b which is usually the largest hole i got. do i get into the pitcher? occasionally. oh well.

Disclaimer alert! Not defending the OP.

Funny thing is there are much larger gaps in LC and RC with a 3 man OF. Just a matter of getting the liner over the infield instead of trying to crush it. Would seem to be a much higher percentage of success than trying to pound groundballs and low liners thru 6 people.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
been quite a bit since a good "i'm a puss and can't deal with people hitting middle" thread

It might be time for another hottest bat thread now

I'm no pitcher...but i've seen great pitchers with good protection snap off balls and change the game with playing good defense. If you catch the ball...people will start to try to hit somewhere else...if not, keep catching the ball...

If youre really scared...run backwards when the pitch is in the air...