HOH Royal Blue Leather

NYC

Swag on 100.
People have said that the blue and red leathers fade after a while, but I wouldn't worry personally. On the left is the old horween blue, on the right is the new Jtan blue. It's pretty rich so a postseason condition should keep it lively.
AGebYVt.jpg

Brockman12

People have said that the blue and red leathers fade after a while, but I wouldn't worry personally. On the left is the old horween blue, on the right is the new Jtan blue. It's pretty rich so a postseason condition should keep it lively.
AGebYVt.jpg
And the current blue for the HOH builder is the Jtan Blue right?

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Do yourself a favor here - Dont listen to NYC!!!!!!
He is showing you gloves that...
1) Are not even his gloves
2) Are unused
Why he would give you terrible advice, I do not know.
Why he wouldnt stop to consider you would be using your glove rather than put it on a shelf for 20 yrs... i do not know.
General rule of thumb, always get a 2nd opinion when considering adhering to his advice
Case in point.
i had a custom HOH that was red blue and camel.
it looked nice when new, but after only one season of use it went to poop.
The red turned pinkish (although not as bad as my old Pujols) and the blue just faded and it started getting much whiter.
If you want an excellent example of what the blue does with a lot of use here is Eric Hosmer's.
Keep in mind this is with a TON of use, but you get the idea.
Eric-Hosmer-Rawlings-Glove.jpg

looks a bit different than those 2 nice blue gloves above huh?

Keep in mind this is an extreme case. If you are getting a new glove next year like i did - then you have no reason to worry.
Use it, let it fade, move on.
If you are using it for a few years and things like that bother you - stick with something that isnt red/blue/green/orange etc

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!!

NYC

Swag on 100.
And don't listen to Bigmac, he kisses peoples rear ends on IG and begs people to send him gloves. Then some desolate losers who live in the middle of nowhere send him gloves because of all his arse kissing and he thinks he's some kind of expert. I called him out on it and now he has his panties in a bunch. That's wally gators gloves, I never said it was mine. You can't get any lower than arse kissing on IG and begging people to send you gloves LOL.

Here is the link to avoid confusion.
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/np7-np1225.1445002/page-2

Last edited:

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Damn boys, I'm just looking for leather advice for the glove lol. Im just going with Sandlot or Timberglaze now lol
Good choice!
FWIW, dont let this discourage you from posting on here. There are MANY excellent people who know a TON about gloves. They will always point you in the right direction and give you options as well.
Sadly, the one person who hasn't a clue likes to read his own writing and has mislead people before. Knowing full well a tizzy would ensue (as witnessed above) someone had to warn you it was poor advice.
You'll have to excuse our village idiot.
Keep us updated and make sure to post pics of the finished product!

NYC

Swag on 100.
Damn boys, I'm just looking for leather advice for the glove lol. Im just going with Sandlot or Timberglaze now lol
Whatever you do, don't beg for a free glove on IG and then pretend to be some sort of expert like bigmac. That would be pathetic.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy

Good choice. The pull up leathers on those wear great and don't lose much color over time.

Here's a "real-life" break down of glove colors as they age:
  • Royal fades to dirty light denim colors
  • Red fades to dirty pink
  • Navy fades to odd algae greenish blue
  • Camel turns dull beige
  • White turns to dirt colors
  • Orange just gets lighter
  • No first-hand experience with greens
  • Tan, brown, black wear to grey as the finish layer wears through
  • Red-orange, and yellow colors (think Japanese) do well over time
  • Oil infused like Timberglaze, oiled black, etc look best over time, no color changes, just changes in tone or sheen
This is my 2¢ worth of experience after relacing over 1,500 gloves.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
And don't listen to Bigmac, he kisses peoples rear ends on IG and begs people to send him gloves. Then some desolate losers who live in the middle of nowhere send him gloves because of all his arse kissing and he thinks he's some kind of expert. I called him out on it and now he has his panties in a bunch. That's wally gators gloves, I never said it was mine. You can't get any lower than arse kissing on IG and begging people to send you gloves LOL.

Here is the link to avoid confusion.
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/np7-np1225.1445002/page-2

And as for you, get some new material man.
If you insist on insulting, at least keep it fresh - ESPECIALLY when it was poorly received the 1st time you said it.
Also, I veered away from it the other day but you might wanna make it less obvious when things bother you. As I said, be nice and be respectful. Good things happen and you dont have to end up looking like a jealous knob. It's not a good look for anyone. There is zero reason to be. I promise, if you get a new handle and act like a human you can have friends too.
It's actually a pretty normal element of.. well, living!

NYC

Swag on 100.
And as for you, get some new material man.
If you insist on insulting, at least keep it fresh - ESPECIALLY when it was poorly received the 1st time you said it.
Also, I veered away from it the other day but you might wanna make it less obvious when things bother you. As I said, be nice and be respectful. Good things happen and you dont have to end up looking like a jealous knob. It's not a good look for anyone. There is zero reason to be. I promise, if you get a new handle and act like a human you can have friends too.
It's actually a pretty normal element of.. well, living!
Dude you're a fat loser who never made his high school team so now you're trying to make up for it in your later years. You suck peoples arses on IG and then try to weasel your way into a free glove.
"Oh what a handsome guy you are, and your package looks massive! Please send me an rv23, I'm begging you"
-bigmac25

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Good choice. The pull up leathers on those wear great and don't lose much color over time.

Here's a "real-life" break down of glove colors as they age:
  • Royal fades to dirty light denim colors
  • Red fades to dirty pink
  • Navy fades to odd algae greenish blue
  • Camel turns dull beige
  • White turns to dirt colors
  • Orange just gets lighter
  • No first-hand experience with greens
  • Tan, brown, black wear to grey as the finish layer wears through
  • Red-orange, and yellow colors (think Japanese) do well over time
  • Oil infused like Timberglaze, oiled black, etc look best over time, no color changes, just changes in tone or sheen
This is my 2¢ worth of experience after relacing over 1,500 gloves.
You should start seeing more customers with green gloves now that Rawlings has a variety of patch colors (no one wanted the red patch on green leather combo Lol).

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Forums can make for an entertaining read. Best tip you'll get for navigating glove info: While a bunch of us forum rats have a ton of glove info, Rous is the resident glove expert (take note when he chimes in eventhough he's a hippie living in Texas that won't kill a trapped critter in his fireplace chimney).

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Dude you're a fat loser who never made his high school team so now you're trying to make up for it in your later years. You suck peoples arses on IG and then try to weasel your way into a free glove.
"Oh what a handsome guy you are, and your package looks massive! Please send me an rv23, I'm begging you"
-bigmac25
Really? After all this time THAT is what you come at me with? I guess we can just call the time you asked me if I cld hook you up w a pro dept RV ironic then? As I told you then, that was offered to me (again, having friends is a requirement- and even then it cost $500)
The only thing this little ditty is missing is being written in crayon...
Why dont you take a few min, really think about it and try again. We'll say that last one was practice:)

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
Really? After all this time THAT is what you come at me with?
The only thing it's missing is being written in crayon...
Why dont you take a few min, really think about it and try again. We'll say that last one was practice:)
Truth hurts? I have a meeting in 15 min, till next time....I wish you all the worst.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Wow can I leave my opinion so I can get slammed, LOL?
IMO, colored gloves always fade. As stated by others some leathers hold color better and conditioning helps alot. Conditioner with more bees wax help hold the color better, but with time colors fade. I have a blue Vinci in limited kip that looks very good but, I always darken the leather when its new and am a fanatic about conditioning my gloves. Red is probably the worst color as far as fading, it goes a bit orange, then into pink. But if you take great care and are liberal w conditioning it wont get as bad as the pics Mr Davis posted.
OK, feel free to rip me a new *******, LOL

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO, colored gloves always fade. As stated by others some leathers hold color better and conditioning helps alot. Conditioner with more bees wax help hold the color better, but with time colors fade. I have a blue Vinci in limited kip that looks very good but, I always darken the leather when its new and am a fanatic about conditioning my gloves. Red is probably the worst color as far as fading, it goes a bit orange, then into pink. But if you take great care and are liberal w conditioning it wont get as bad as the pics Mr Davis posted.

ok. Vincis don't count because they're made of plastic

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I feel like maybe you might have misunderstood the premise of the disagreement-as no one is going out of their way to 'slam' every poster for posting their opinion.
Context context context.
Of note, (and really, Dan said everything that needed to be said as accurate as possible so in theory that could be the /thread) I personally found that being 'liberal' with conditioner on RAWLINGS made the fading much worse and sped the process up. I'd have a white sponge and use even a little lexol and my sponge would be red at the end and the leather lighter. It got to where I would just avoid doing the web bc of the fading.
Oddly, the only red thing i currently own is a Vinci RV web on a pro200 Rawlings custom.
My dislike of the quality of the leather and web aside - i have not noticed this issue. It seems the dye sticks better but it does seem a bit more 'plastic' than a Rawlings. I dont say that to put down any company etc - just my 3 cents

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Serious question: Does this board have any moderators? Or are we stuck with a Lord of the Flies scenario?
There are a handful of mods and the majority have their own "real jobs" so the only way stuff like this gets moderated down is if someone reports a post and it is deemed to be in violation of the rules

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, I believe everything except black oiled horween and horween dual core is Jtan on the Heart of the Hide builder.

No, the sandlot, timberglaze and (I think) the dark sherry are oil tanned leathers.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Forums can make for an entertaining read. Best tip you'll get for navigating glove info: While a bunch of us forum rats have a ton of glove info, Rous is the resident glove expert (take note when he chimes in eventhough he's a hippie living in Texas that won't kill a trapped critter in his fireplace chimney).

That squirrel looked like the Rabbit of Caerbannog ! ... and I didn't have a Holy Hand Grenade!!!