USSSA Home runs after time expires?

coldengineer

Star Player
Does the rule book have any particular rules about home runs after time has expired? I figured home run rules are typically park specific, but I figured I'd ask. I look and didn't see anything.

I ask because I've gotten conflicting rules from umpires in league play. One had told us our walk off home run was an out because a team cannot hit a home run after time expires. I've had another tell me that you can hit them with 0 on the clock as long as the inning started with time on the clock. I feel like both guys were just making stuff up but I'm curious.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Does the rule book have any particular rules about home runs after time has expired? I figured home run rules are typically park specific, but I figured I'd ask. I look and didn't see anything.

I ask because I've gotten conflicting rules from umpires in league play. One had told us our walk off home run was an out because a team cannot hit a home run after time expires. I've had another tell me that you can hit them with 0 on the clock as long as the inning started with time on the clock. I feel like both guys were just making stuff up but I'm curious.

Sounds like the second umpire was correct. No home runs after time expires? What the what?

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
We've always played that a new inning can't start after time expires, so I don't know where this guy is getting that time expires means game over.

coldengineer

Star Player
We've always played that a new inning can't start after time expires, so I don't know where this guy is getting that time expires means game over.

Not game over, just can't hit HRs. I've played 90-100 minute league night games because the score was always tied. One straight up inning, then one pitch, then one pitch with runner on second, then one pitch with runners on 2 and 3...

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Haha never quite gotten that far into extra innings, but that makes sense. Just haven't heard of the no HR after time expires rule.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The rule book isn't going to say anything about HR's after the time limit expires because there are no time limits in championship play. At tournaments where we've used time limits it's always been legal to do anything you could do with time on the clock. But it is certainly something I'd email the LD about and have them communicate how they want it called to the UIC. There have been multiple times where the LD wanted it called differently than what made sense to everyone else involved.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
League rules will never be found in the book. If you have questions about league rules - ask the league director.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have heard that you can't go one up on HRs in the final or subsequent innings.

The home team can't go one up on home runs in the bottom of the last inning. However, that rule only pertains to Senior Slow Pitch in which it's clear which inning will be the last, even after time has expired.