USSSA Homerun fair or foul

marcster13

Addicted to Softballfans
I hit a lot of balls high and deep down the left field line. Many are hooking foul. I've always known the ball is fair or foul depending where it is when it passes the foul pole. Last night I hit one that was clearly fair as it passed the pole but when it finally came down it was very left of the foul pole. Home umpire called it right, which was a HR. Later the ump coaching bases said "you're lucky I wasn't umping home because that landed foul." I laughed thinking he was joking. He said he never calls it fair or foul until it lands. He said some balls pass the pole foul but land fair and he calls it a HR and if it passes the pole fair and lands foul it is not a HR. He wouldn't budge so I quit talking to him about it. I do want to bring it up next time I see him when he's not umping my game. Any ideas on how to show him he's mistaken?

Last edited:

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
Speak with his UIC and explain what he said to you, or,
When he makes that call against you, file a protest

marcster13

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol yeah I was flabbergasted! That's why I thought he was joking. I'll look up the rule number/page in the newest usssa rule book and tell him to look it up.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule 2: Definitions, Fair Ball. Page 19 of the current USSSA Rule Book. Although it is my understanding that most states do not give out physical copies to their umpires. Is is on page 21 of the current PDF.