How are power rankings calculated?

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
So my E team went to E state a couple weekends ago and we took like 33rd out of 49 teams in the tourney. Somehow we (and to my knowledge no one else) got bumped up. I know for sure there's a couple teams that finished higher, including one that beat us for the ship in another tourney a while back, that SHOULD have higher power rankings than us and they didn't get bumped...

chancechatman

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are in north texas you got bumped because your team cheated, got protested, and lost the protest.... Not because of your power rating...

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks like it. Team cap told us it had to do with the rankings, I have no idea though. It's my first tourney team I've been on so I'm not real up to speed on how all the classification and rankings work.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
WTF you got bumped because of your power rankings right before worlds thats ****ed up. Around here you only get bumped based on your finish at worlds. There have been a couple of teams who have domianted in E and the Nor Cal director has told them they have to play up the rest of the year but they still went to R worlds.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
To answer your original question. USSSA doesn't totally divulge how power rankings are calculated. Here is the info from their website. I can't see a director justifying bumping a team for finishing 33rd out of 49 unless you guys actually have an illegal roster with too many chips.

POWER RANKING SYSTEM
Power Rating System

The formula was designed/prepared in 1998 by Kelly Burke.
The system was designed to fairly rank teams (of the same class) that have not played
the same number of games.

The exact formula will not be disclosed in fear of a competitors copying or misuse.

The system uses
--------------------------------

Teams winning percentage
Teams beaten winning percentage
Teams lost to winning percentage
Number of games played
Number of wins and loses

The system does not use
---------------------------------------

Game played between teams of different class
Score of game
Head to Head results
Wins or loses by forfeit

FAQ
---------
Can my teams power rating change even if my team is not active?

Yes, anytime results are entered for any team you have faced,
(in your class) your teams power rating will change.

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
We were an E team, and I don't think we had more than 1 or 2 D guys on the team, but I'm not sure. Thanks Dychen, that's basically what I was looking for. Looks remarkably similar to BCS calculations.

mkejohnson

"That" Guy
Techically you should only be madatory bumped if you are in the top 10% of worlds. Or you are like some teams that dominate your class and the class above.