how are your field conditions and what balls do you use

gr8watson

The Rookie
I'm just wondering how well kept are your fields ? In may area BLD is the only place to play ball. Our fields are pretty ran down poor patch work, worn out turf and the area in front of the pitch area is a nightmare. To be honest the only nice parts of the stadium is the club house and indoor soccer building. For those who play at a BLD hows you fields and what balls do you use ? Mine supply's us with 44/375's they really come off these bats fast. Are 52/300's really safer people have been they are I don't know so I wanted to ask. Every week I hear of a pitcher getting blown up and a few have really been hurt. I just trying to get some feed back do my homework. I don't mean to sound or want sound stupid when asking for changes.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
The difference is not huge at 70 degrees. The .44's and .40's are more sensitive to temperature changes and at lower temps become much higher performing balls. At higher temps, the .52's may be better performing balls, because the .44's and .40's have begun to suck a little. While I don't want to be hit by either one, and either would probably injure, the .52's are easier on bats and therefore would likely inflict slightly less damage to the pitcher who gets hit with it, even if it was hit at the same speed.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
We are fortunate that our main fields are in a sports minded town. We use the fields 6 days a week and they are dragged every morning before our games.

We have used the 52/300 for the last 5 yrs and we are happy with it.

We have a couple of secondary fields that we use which leave a lot to be desired.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
I pitch in Manteca and I'm still alive. It's not that bad really. I've seen way worse fields. Decent turf infields and near perfect outfield grass isn't something i would complain about. They continue to use that ball and old stamps because they think they will lose too many of the douchebags that think they are good because they can hit a homerun there. I drive 40 minutes to play there but I'll only do it one day a week unless there is a tournament there...which are $100 more than any other park. You take the good with the bad.

Unless you are actually in "northern" California and aren't talking about Manteca. That's the only bld I've been to.

it really depends...certain times of the month it can be a little smelly and other times it's more moist than others...a lot plays into the conditions, the temperature and humidity play a big factor...never had an issue with it being to dry honestly but as long as there's grass on the field, play ball

Houdini5150

Addicted to Softballfans
The sportsplex in San Diego was nice. Dirt was good for most part and outfield was turf. We use 52/300 for Utrip.

don't get me started on the grass...it's absurd that if we just randomly decide to go out there and use the field that the grass is unkempt and overgrown like back in the 70's, but for league night it's trimmed nice and short...for tournaments and special occasions they've even put designs in the grass

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
So so outfields that are typically overlong, hard as concrete infields for most of the year and foul lines stop at the infield without foul poles. Synthetic Baden Classic M's for balls.

gr8watson

The Rookie
Sounds like 52's might be nice in Redding where it 105 on a cool day in July. Our fields need a lot of tlc but doesn't sound like we have it that bad. I just wish our increased fee's were going to improve the conditions of our park, not line the pockets of higher up's that don't care.

Lucky

Addicted to Softballfans
Play northern NY suburbs and despite paying outrageous taxes we get pretty crappy fields when compared to some southern fields I've played on. Actually the parks are pretty good but the maintenance is not. Lumpy outfields, huge divots in batters boxes, two sometimes three rubbers to contend with, sandy base paths.

We also use clinchers. I used to hate them but as I get older and pitch I'm really ok with them.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
I play about half of my games on a brand new 4-plex facility on post out here in Washington. All turf infields and outfields, working scoreboards... everything. It's really amazing and depressing at the same time ha ha. I am retiring from the Army next year so I know I will be playing on fields nowhere near as nice to these in about 18 months.

-G