How are your newer gen Horween gloves aging?

mpk

Extra Hitter
For those of you who have put a season or two of use into your Rawlings and Easton Horween gloves, how are they holding up? Are you happy with the durability? Mostly interested in the recent batches, 2017-current, starting with the SBF Pro207-6ht. Pics appreciated.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
I'm going to echo NYC here and say having the Horween handstall tan PRO1000HC is a big difference over the Deer Tan Hide. My 2018 model is breaking in very JTan like.
Cw9rM2J.jpg

JAo6U3H.jpg

M7txOx9.jpg

David the Gnome

The Veteran
mine all look just as good as the day i put them on the shelf lol
I suspect this is probably most Horween tan owners haha. If I was still in high school/college and playing every day, I could see breaking in one of those. With only 1-2 games per week during the summer it just takes too long to break one in now.

I have a Horween tan NP5 from spring training 2018. I swapped the lace on it and between that and the deer tanned liner, it's actually not too bad now. I'll probably use it some this season.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
I broke in and used the Easton SB #10 last year when I was in the outfield. Its still pretty stiff relative to any other glove with the same amount of use. Its a tank. If there is some sun out when I get home I'll try and grab a pic. Having the horween liner definitely gives it the best feeling every time I put it on.

Party mafia

I'm going to echo NYC here and say having the Horween handstall tan PRO1000HC is a big difference over the Deer Tan Hide. My 2018 model is breaking in very JTan like.
Cw9rM2J.jpg

JAo6U3H.jpg

M7txOx9.jpg
do you have a scale weight for your rawlings horween leather? Curious if the weights from rawlings are similar to the easton small batch horween glove. Thanks

mpk

Extra Hitter
I broke in and used the Easton SB #10 last year when I was in the outfield. Its still pretty stiff relative to any other glove with the same amount of use. Its a tank. If there is some sun out when I get home I'll try and grab a pic. Having the horween liner definitely gives it the best feeling every time I put it on.

Yeah, I have not doubt they tank like and will stay stiff and hold their shape will.

Really curious what the surface wear on the leather is like.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been gaming this for a year and a half. It has been great but gets a little floppy after 7 games in 100 degree days. Would last forever for someone who just plays league once a week though.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I have been gaming this for a year and a half. It has been great but gets a little floppy after 7 games in 100 degree days. Would last forever for someone who just plays league once a week though.
The floppiness can also be attributed to the tops of the fingers being so loose. I always tighten my finger tops on my gloves to help the fingers from bending back on hard liners. Custom Wilsons have very stiff finger inserts if you choose the "pro stiff" option.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
The floppiness can also be attributed to the tops of the fingers being so loose. I always tighten my finger tops on my gloves to help the fingers from bending back on hard liners. Custom Wilsons have very stiff finger inserts if you choose the "pro stiff" option.
I actually had that happen to me with my J-tan PRO1000. Tightening up the tops of the fingers was the fix, much more secure now.

Reactions: NYC

mpk

Extra Hitter

Great report. I think this looks more than acceptable wear for a year and a half's use. What conditioner have you used on it?

Don't know if I'd really call that floppy. Just looks nicely broken in to me - right about where my jtan pro1000 is right now.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Great report. I think this looks more than acceptable wear for a year and a half's use. What conditioner have you used on it?

Don't know if I'd really call that floppy. Just looks nicely broken in to me - right about where my jtan pro1000 is right now.

I just finally hit it with a coat of mizuno strong oil. Before that it was just occasional wipe down with a McGuire’s wipe. I’m not saying it’s floppy in general, but after extended use on hot days it is. Just like if you left your glove in a hot car, it becomes more pliable than it was in your cold basement the night before. I did tighten up the finger lace last night so we will see how that does.

mpk

Extra Hitter
I’m not saying it’s floppy in general, but after extended use on hot days it is. Just like if you left your glove in a hot car, it becomes more pliable than it was in your cold basement the night before. I did tighten up the finger lace last night so we will see how that does.

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

mpk

Extra Hitter
Anyone else got a report on how these newer Horween gloves are holding up, maybe someone with a lot of use on one?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I am guilty of letting my Easton small batch trap sit on the shelf but, as the rain lets up here in So Cal, I will prep and start using. Just have two traps in front of it to finish preparing, LOL

sleepin4matty

Management Material
The Small Batch Horween leather is VERY dry compared to other glove leathers I've touched. My 923 model (same as @beeblebobble above) is breaking in pretty nicely. I may be able to game it in a couple of weeks. Thing feels like a brick

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Looking pretty good! How many games on it?
Its got about 10 games on it. I spend most of my time in the dirt. So its mostly been breaking in during BP. This thing feels like it would last my lifetime no matter how much I used it.

I'd put a dab of conditioner on the index stain and binding to keep it from cracking. Looks nice.
Thanks, yeah its about due. I never put anything on a glove til I've broken it in. And that spot is always the first to wear out for me, so a little preventive maintenance wouldn't hurt.