NSA how close can you stand to plate?

xZACKx

Addicted to Softballfans
when im in a 3-1 count I like to stand right over the plate (my foot is literally centimeters from the plate) so no matter where the pitch is I can swing. Last night Ump calls time and says my "foot must be 6 inches from the plate." I said "really?" he comes back with "yeah its been a rule forever" is it? because I have never had a problem with it until last night.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
last night 3-1 count I like to stand right over the plate (my foot is literally centimeters from the plate) so no matter where the pitch is I can swing. Ump calls time and says my "foot must be 6 inches from the plate." I said "really?" he comes back with "yeah its been a rule forever" is it? because I have never had a problem with it until last night.

Yes, it's a rule, and it's been that way forever. Why do you think they even have a batter's box?

Both feet must be inside the batter's box or touching the lines. No part of your foot may be touching the ground outside of the batter's box prior to the pitch.

The batter's box is 6 inches off of the plate.

Back off the plate, batter, or the count will suddenly become 3-2.

xZACKx

Addicted to Softballfans
because I like to swing and its league. tourney ball the bat is on my shoulder

xZACKx

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, it's a rule, and it's been that way forever.

Both feet must be inside the batter's box or touching the lines. No part of your foot may be touching the ground outside of the batter's box prior to the pitch.

thanks for the info, never had a problem with it until last night so obviously the umps didnt know either. also, we arent blessed with batters boxes here so maybe thats why Ive never had a problem either. thanks again

Macken

Starting Player
Yes, it's a rule, and it's been that way forever.

I have never actually seen where they chalk the plate side of the box.. and i play all sanctions and many many ballfields.. is this universal anymore?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have never actually seen where they chalk the plate side of the box.. and i play all sanctions and many many ballfields.. is this universal anymore?

I've called on many fields where the entire box has been chalked, even recently. I have noticed it as a trend on other fields though, apparently due to either budget issues or sheer laziness on the part of the field crew. Maybe they just don't see a point in putting those lines down because they'll be gone before the end of the first inning. Maybe I shouldn't ever polish my shoes before I call games, either. :rolleyes:

But as we've said before, even if the lines are not there (or are drawn incorrectly), the box still exists, and we will enforce the rules as written whenever we are certain the batter has violated one of those rules. However, we will, as always, give some leeway to the batter.

personally as the pitcher i hope you do that,i'll get it as close as possible to ya and hopefully your dumb enough to lean into it and i'll get a strike called and you'll go ballistic b/c of it hitting you and get tossed for arguing balls and strikes. :eek: :D

Darkness

Starting Player
personally as the pitcher i hope you do that,i'll get it as close as possible to ya and hopefully your dumb enough to lean into it and i'll get a strike called and you'll go ballistic b/c of it hitting you and get tossed for arguing balls and strikes. :eek: :D

As a pitcher it bugs me. Sometimes I don't get a perfectly clear view of the plate (dirt) and there isn't a batters box, so all I can see 100% clearly is the batter. I always feel like saying something when someone is nearly standing on the plate.

Sappho4

Star Player

Awesome! Ha ha

As an umpire, I am more likely to call a strike if that's your stance. To me, it appears you're showing up the pitcher and is unnecessary.

Yes, it's a rule, and it's been that way forever. Why do you think they even have a batter's box?

In 3-0 or 3-1 I stand toes on the edge and lean in real far right upon the pitchers release, usually get ball 4..

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In 3-0 or 3-1 I stand toes on the edge and lean in real far right upon the pitchers release, usually get ball 4..

If your feet aren't on the ground outside of the box, that's fine.

But in ASA, if you block a pitch from crossing the plate and it would have been a strike, we're calling the strike.

lumps25

Addicted to Softballfans

I had this exact thing last year in Men's C. 3-2 count bottom of 6th, but this was the last inning because of time, Batter is within the right-handed batters box, right on the line, but he is crouching and his knee is hanging over the inside corner of the plate. Ball hits his knee, I "Dead Ball", ball hit the batter in the strike zone, batter is out. He goes ballistic, and starts dropping F Bombs like no tomorrow. I tell him to vacate the field, his coach comes out and asks for the call, I tell him, and he is okay, a littele upset at his player for not swinging, but not on me. As I am walking out the winning teams dugout (opposite team), the player who I rung up, just goes off on me. He tells me, Blue, I played four years for University of Oregon's football team, I am an athlete and you are a lazy bum.

At that point I was a little hot, and I told him. Reliving past athletic glories on a softball team is pretty pathetic, and that if he had any athletic ability he would still be playing football and not harassing me on a softball field. That set him off, he threatened me, and now he is banned for life from the Portland Metro Softball Association.

I know I shouldnt have responded with my crack, but I had had it.