how do 52 300 ball perform with a shaved bat

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it true that the 52 300 ball was designed to even out the performace of a shaved bat to a unaltered bat?

My league is in the process of either compression testing the bats or banning composites all together. I'm looking for an alternative option to stop this from happening. I would cry if I had to sell my bats.

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Supposedly

Supposedly, yes, it does lessen the effect of a shaved bat. But yeah, do you really think you are gonna get a POS to admit they have a shaved bat? :p

Burger1976

Banned User
Is it true that the 52 300 ball was designed to even out the performace of a shaved bat to a unaltered bat?

My league is in the process of either compression testing the bats or banning composites all together. I'm looking for an alternative option to stop this from happening. I would cry if I had to sell my bats.

I believe the 52/300 ball was designed to improve the safety of the game, not necessarily to even out the performance of bats.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
It was approved because it significantly reduces impact damage when you hit someone with it. The affect on shaved bats was just a bonus.

RalphG427

On the bench
It was approved because it significantly reduces impact damage when you hit someone with it. The affect on shaved bats was just a bonus.

So you are saying if I get hit in the face with a .52/300 at 90 mph it will do less damage than a .44/375 at 90 mph? I seriously question that was the intent of the design. I think it's more along the lines of limiting batted ball speed...

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
So you are saying if I get hit in the face with a .52/300 at 90 mph it will do less damage than a .44/375 at 90 mph? I seriously question that was the intent of the design. I think it's more along the lines of limiting batted ball speed...

OK............................:confused:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans

Yes, that's exactly what he's saying. The difference from your skull's POV is like a 50% decrease in energy transfer from the 375 to the 300; that's the difference between being very much dead and just having a real bad headache.

I assure you, the primary intent was increased safety. Batted ball speed was an afterthought. The fact that both Kevin-who designed the ball, btw-and Bobby attest to that is a pretty good indicator of the validity of the claim.

tattooball

I am going on the road today so when I get back I will be glad to answer this with many facts. In the meantime Mr. Buggs can enlighten you all with his opinion.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

That is exactly what we're saying.

The .44/375 ball strikes an object at between 1800-2400 pounds of force (very lethal). The .52/300 ball strikes an object at about 1/4 to 1/6 of that amount.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe the purpose was to develop a ball which would maintain its integrity beyond the duration of the game with minimal climate-change issues that would come off the bat, but not with the sustained velocity which would help reduce impact when making contact with a player.

You buy that? Does it make a difference that with great help from the softball community ASA finally approved a ball that accomplished what has been bantered around for years, to make the game safer through ball development instead of constantly screwing with the bats?

This wasn't a new project. From what I understand, this research has been going on for years with some of the companies constantly trying to come up with a better mousetrap. It looks like this is the best that has happened so far and instead of trying to find a way around it or sitting back and whining about how the ball sucks (it doesn't), just play the damn game.

Country35

Banned User
the reasonshaved bats dont play as big a factor is the balls spec are made to be maxed out easier......ie hit the maxium compression limits much easier, therefore the ball can only perform to a certain level.

War Chief

Addicted to Softballfans
I heard at a meeting that the 52/300 was put together for saftey purposes. Supposedly the impact when hit with a 44/375 is 2000 lbs. of pressure per sq. in when it hits you. The 52/300 impact no. is 400 lbs. per square inch. You figure it out. Less injuries when you hit your favorite pitcher right in the side of the head. He might have a chance to survive when hit with the 52. Tattooball can give you exact numbers. He was at the meeting...
War Chief
Geronimo!!!

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
So there is some truth to to the ball having a affect on a shaved bat. I didn't think about the safety aspect. That is a plus though. Thanks for the info. I will will definately be bringing this info to the next league meeting.

Kostka#0

Addicted to Softballfans
I will try to find the paperwork that I got from our state advisory board meeting. NCASA ump is correct, the force of the impact is greatly reduced. I was told by the head of the equipment testing committee, **** Gulmon, that the goal was also to get rid of the banned bat list or at the very least trim it down.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Not about safety?? Well if you follow the ASA ball spec over the past 15 years its gone from 47-525>44-375>52-300. Yes safety was the motivating factor. You forgot about all the bat rule changes which failed.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster

You need to go to history class

jbe_17

Star Player
I'm not here to argue physics with anyone. All I can tell from experience is that I have played in a league where they just switched to these balls and moved their bases back to 70 ft. I was playing second base and the ball was absolutely hammered (guarantee you he was using a shaved bat) and the ball took a funny hop off a concrete infield and hit me square in the hand. I literally could not feel my hand for the 5 mins (lost all feeling in it) i picked the ball up to throw the runner out at second and hesitated because i couldnt' feel the ball in my hand. I don't want to imagine how that would have felt if that would have been the previous ball, I'm guessing it would have broken my hand.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I'm not here to argue physics with anyone. All I can tell from experience is that I have played in a league where they just switched to these balls and moved their bases back to 70 ft. I was playing second base and the ball was absolutely hammered (guarantee you he was using a shaved bat) and the ball took a funny hop off a concrete infield and hit me square in the hand. I literally could not feel my hand for the 5 mins (lost all feeling in it) i picked the ball up to throw the runner out at second and hesitated because i couldnt' feel the ball in my hand. I don't want to imagine how that would have felt if that would have been the previous ball, I'm guessing it would have broken my hand.
You are right, with a 44-375 the damage could have been 3 to 5X. Blunt force trauma is greatly reduced with this ball. The numbers are insignificant to people in this game but your experience is exactly the intent of this ball.

Last edited:

p17

There's a thread on here where someone posted the actual data from the impact tests comparing balls. The 52/300's gave soooooo much less damage

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
There's a thread on here where someone posted the actual data from the impact tests comparing balls. The 52/300's gave soooooo much less damage

The numbers in War Chief's post (#16) are correct. Granted, there will be some variation due to the quality of the ball and materials used, but that's about the size of the difference.

p17

The numbers in War Chief's post (#16) are correct. Granted, there will be some variation due to the quality of the ball and materials used, but that's about the size of the difference.

Oh yeah, I didn't see his post lol

RalphG427

On the bench
I guess I'm wrong then. It just seemed obvious that softer ball = less BBS = less force on whatever it hits. History class? Not sure I get that one. Either way I'm loving the new ball and I never doubted it was about safety. Without traveling you usually play the same teams over and over and over again so you get to know how they hit. It's lovely seeing a bunch non-power hitters swinging for the fence like they used to and hitting a nice lazy 250 ft. fly ball. It's definitely good for the game either way and I'm 100% for it.

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
My outlook on the constant bat changes and now the ball changes is that they are making the game safer for those that need it. I play third base in all kinds of leagues from Rec with my buddies to D C and B (tournament C). And from what ive noticed and im sure a lot of you have as well, Rec ball does need some changes to help some of the players for the fact that the talent just isnt there and its just some guys wanting to have fun.(which is great! I have a ton of fun playing with my buddies) And you hear about some retard bringing a shaved bat to a Rec game where someones 50+ year old dad is pitching..

I agree with ball changes in lower divisions, but when i go to my tournament team, we are not guys that cant field a ground ball. Granted your going to eat some bad hops along the way, thats part of the game.

Its just my opinion but they should use different balls for different lvls of play is all. Or instead of changing the balls in tournament and upper league play make it mandatory that the pitcher wear masks and other protective gear.

Playing 3base through high school and college i took some ground balls off my body sure, thats part of the game (thus the saying keep your body infront of the ball) I never once heard "Oh im sorry, did that ball hurt to much? Should we start a patition asking for a softer ball?"

The years ive played tournament ball ive seen very few injuries due to hit with a ball... but Rec there is one about every week lol.

Like i said its only my opinion and doesnt mean its right, And not to sound like a ****, but change the ball for the less talanted leagues and let the big boys continue to play, I personally love the 44 ball . The sound , the distance and the hops they take. The .52 is hitting a wet sock and just sounds like ****. Good luck this season all and stay safe!!

PS - spend more time taking infield practice instead of seeing how far you can hit a ball during practice and you might not get hit as much ;)

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
Supposedly, yes, it does lessen the effect of a shaved bat. But yeah, do you really think you are gonna get a POS to admit they have a shaved bat? :p

I'd like to point out that saying "Supposedly" is almost indicative of you being the shaved bat owner. It's much like the people who say "So... I have this friend that..."

FOUND THE BAT SHAVER. What a jerk! ;)