How do the pros do it?

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans
have you hit a launch 650 with a broken in u trip? holy sh#t is all I have to say. its retarted how far it goes. after hitting hot dots the last few years to hitting these over the weekend its little wonder they hit over 400.
I didn't even swing and hit 370 first one.

you're talking some bubaloo bull****

Ranger4Life

The Veteran
Launch 650's, Ultimate Evils, and the *** balls are ridiculous. They easily add 50-75' over a Utrip or 52/300 ball. I watched a guy hit 5 in a row out in a HR derby, and he said he might have hit 5 total in his life before that.

I agree that the balls do make these guys look even more godly than they really are, but the big names can mash with any bat/ball combo CONSISTENTLY. They bat 600-700+ against all star defenses and world class pitchers. Not your standard "throw it over and hope it's a strike" pitchers that most see.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Launch 650's, Ultimate Evils, and the *** balls are ridiculous. They easily add 50-75' over a Utrip or 52/300 ball. I watched a guy hit 5 in a row out in a HR derby, and he said he might have hit 5 total in his life before that.

I agree that the balls do make these guys look even more godly than they really are, but the big names can mash with any bat/ball combo CONSISTENTLY. They bat 600-700+ against all star defenses and world class pitchers. Not your standard "throw it over and hope it's a strike" pitchers that most see.

Remind me to buy you a beer if I ever encounter you in person.

aaronc_09

Addicted to Softballfans
conference guys swing good bats (cut, rolled, shaved, players model whatever you want to call it). No doubt. The cheaters have figured out how to alter bats and not be caught. There is a difference between "pro" bats and stock "rec" bats.

huzzdog

retired
i played in the conference for 3 years.. we got the same bats. ask iz2 robo16.. any of the upper guys on here. you my friend are misinformed. are there cheaters? of course.. and at every level. every guy in the conference isn't cheating

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
i played in the conference for 3 years.. we got the same bats. ask iz2 robo16.. any of the upper guys on here. you my friend are misinformed. are there cheaters? of course.. and at every level. every guy in the conference isn't cheating

Doesnt matter what you say brother..... In most rec leaguers eyes equiptment is the only reason Confrence players are better than they are.

aaronc_09

Addicted to Softballfans
Of course they are going to say that...you think a "pro" is going to admit to swinging a shaved bat? I know a conference team that has their bats shaved and the players don't even know it....I'm just saying the professionals have figured out how to alter their bats and use them during conference events.

huzzdog

retired
Of course they are going to say that...you think a "pro" is going to admit to swinging a shaved bat? I know a conference team that has their bats shaved and the players don't even know it....I'm just saying the professionals have figured out how to alter their bats and use them during conference events.

i've seen teams who clearly have better equipment. not all. the first time i pitched against laservision i expected the balls being hit to be insane. guess what, it wasn't. i've seen more dirty bats bats in league play and local joke tourneys. they are just better than you. and i'll retire on that note

aaronc_09

Addicted to Softballfans
You also have probably played more league play and local joke tourneys so therefore you have seen more dirty bats in those circumstances.

huzzdog

retired
You also have probably played more league play and local joke tourneys so therefore you have seen more dirty bats in those circumstances.

actually the last 3 years i only played 1 league and no tourney's i didn't have to get on an airplane for. we played one open nit in boston area and the local teams bats were better than anything we had. the league was so bad they went to supplied bats.

having every bat tested, cut or not, is better than anything happening on a local level.

aaronc_09

Addicted to Softballfans
I am not denying that having every bat tested is better than not. I am just saying that conference guys still swing good bats, and the professional shavers have figured out how to shave them and still make them pass compression. When a conference guy that is so much better than anyone else is also swinging a cut bat.....definitely is not safe.

FA13

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you focus on technique in just practice or games as well? What is your main focus on technique? Anything you could pass on to us weekend warriors that could help us?

LaserArm

Addicted to Softballfans
I could be wrong, but isn't it a 2 year ban if any conference player gets caught with a shaved stick. I doubt any of the guys with their names on bats or guys that are the face of a brand are using shaved bats. It just wouldn't be financially worth it. I'm sure some new guys still try. Then they get caught, and that's why you never hear of them.

Being an exhibition and a show, I imagine the guys do use altered or shaved bats in the Long Haul Bomber tour. But who cares.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
People seem to forget that all the bats are compression tested before every tourney. If they pass they go in the bucket for use, if they fail they get thrown out. IMO the biggest difference Local and Conference tounreys equiptment wise is the balls. There's is a huge difference in performance whe compairing a ZN or Stadium ball to a .44/400, .52/300, or whatever lower compression ball that is used at the local levels. Is there people swingin shaved stuff in the conference???? No doubt, but there is a lot less being swung there than most poeple think. Shaved or not every bat still has to pass the compression test. The difference between a shaver that passes the test and one that doesn't is huge as well. I for sure hear a lot more more bazooka's in league and local tourneys because nothing is every tested there.

Regardless, even if they did all swing dirty bats like a lot of people assume. Then how come all the people swinging bazooka's locally in leagues and tourneys still dont come close to the abilities of the average conference player?

Last edited:

huzzdog

retired
What most people here fail to realize is that Conference USSSA players really are very skilled at what they do and work tirelessly to get where they are. When you see them hit its with a purpose. Every swing they take in a game has an objective and they'll very rarely miss the sweetspot or make a mistake with the bat. Precise, line to line placement and bombs when they are called for.

And you know what? It doesn't matter whether they use bats that are shaved or fresh out of the wrapper. I play league with a fairly well known Conference player and have seen him hit balls 375'+ with a bat fresh out of the wrapper. It's definitely more skill than equipment, I'll just say that.

So when you ask, how do they do it? Skill, size, desire and innate talent.

this is the truth. denial aint just a river in egypt.

jhitman

What most people here fail to realize is that Conference USSSA players really are very skilled at what they do and work tirelessly to get where they are. When you see them hit its with a purpose. Every swing they take in a game has an objective and they'll very rarely miss the sweetspot or make a mistake with the bat. Precise, line to line placement and bombs when they are called for.

And you know what? It doesn't matter whether they use bats that are shaved or fresh out of the wrapper. I play league with a fairly well known Conference player and have seen him hit balls 375'+ with a bat fresh out of the wrapper. It's definitely more skill than equipment, I'll just say that.

So when you ask, how do they do it? Skill, size, desire and innate talent.

Very good analysis TW. One more thing that I would like to add. Besides all of the above, they don't lose much bat speed after contact. Most average players with good physical strength can swing a bat 90mph, but once they make contact with the ball it drops 25-30 mph. Whereas, the great hitters bat speed hardly drops at all after contact. That is why I hit it 350' and they hit it 450' or more.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
conference guys swing good bats (cut, rolled, shaved, players model whatever you want to call it). No doubt. The cheaters have figured out how to alter bats and not be caught. There is a difference between "pro" bats and stock "rec" bats.

I am not denying that having every bat tested is better than not. I am just saying that conference guys still swing good bats, and the professional shavers have figured out how to shave them and still make them pass compression. When a conference guy that is so much better than anyone else is also swinging a cut bat.....definitely is not safe.

The butthurt is strong with this one.

RockyMTNHusker

Addicted to Softballfans
Many guys have full time jobs so not like all they do it play softball. They make time to hit. They never want to stop hitting....

Example: Denny has a FULL TIME job that does not involve swinging a bat. So, make time to hit and stop making excuses.

this.. and Jeff Hall owns and runs a construction company...

Regardless of how they got there or of their ability, it still makes me laugh when referring to any of these guys as a "professional slowpitch player".

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ I would hope they get paid to put their names on bats. I mean, I would do it for free but that's just me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sports Science is going over how to hit a homerun on Sportscenter. If I learn anything I'll pass it on.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Haha! Guy is like 5'11". Maybe 265...

He and Bubba played in a random game in one of my leagues out here in ChiRaq last year, I was surprised at how short he was, compared to rest of conference guys. Has one of the best swings, and one of the nicest guys I've ever met.