how many guys really "steal" a base

banny

late bloomer
In our modified league, you can't leave the base until the ball leaves the pitchers hand. That being the case, I don't see too many guys who actually steal the base, rather than advance on a passed ball or wild pitch. If you happen to be able to tell when the pitcher is throwing a change up and go, that's one thing, but if you're really waiting until he releases it and he throws with any kind of speed, you'd better be pretty fast. I'd rather just wait and see if it gets by the catcher.

Mattx10x

Addicted to Softballfans
Happens all the time in my leagues. I steal once in a while, but we have 2-3 guys that will steal second with no pass ball almost everytime they get on base.

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
if you have speed its not too hard. unless of course thre is a catcher with a cannon...then nobody runs

Eroc13

Boots Come In Pairs
A lot of steals in our local league as well with no passed ball. Best team in the league has its first 6 guys who all steal second every time if they hit singles. I've even stole a base before and I don't have much speed. Same rule for leaving the base and all...just depends on the catcher and the pitchers throw speed.