How Often Do You See This?

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
How often do you see infielders wearing masks? Some Canadian tough guy, probably Jokers real dad thinks this is unusual??? I've noticed a few conference players wearing them now... I never see any here in Phoenix... If I played infield I sure would...

Conf Pic...
DSC01115.JPG

DSC01340.JPG

Last edited:

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
a girl on my coed wears one at 2nd. in men's i only see pitchers wearing masks. i have seen some people take nasty hops a bust their face up pretty good, so it's not a bad idea...and i wouldnt hate on anyone wearing one in the infield.

66FLH

Addicted to Softballfans
Its becoming more and more common.
Especially with the horrid infields at some of the parks around here, not a bad idea.

Last edited:
It isnt common to see them in Az besides the pitcher but i wouldnt think twice or any less of someone who did wear one for most we all have to work and support family so why not go the extra mile in doing so it would prob save some of us from not only the headac form the injury but the headac from the misses sayin see thats what u get! Lol

ATL Rookie

Manager
I see it every once in a while in league, mainly against 2 specific teams that are well known to swing glass. There is one coed team where all 3 girls that play IF wear one.

I've thought about it for a while now and may break down and get one this year.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Took a nasty hop off my eye socket playing 3B (had laces bruised on face even, lol) and several other injuries.. Maybe I suck but it's hard to control bad hops on hard hit balls sometimes. I would definitely consider wearing one of these since I like my face kinda.. Dont see many people wearing masks around here..

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I have seen it a bit and I don't blame them. Playing third in the past and have had some rockets hit past me and second guessed my sanity. I never considered wearing one as my reaction time is still good enough to get out of the way and just let my left fielder pick it up. :)

With bats as hot as they are nowadays, I am sure many more people will start wearing them and nothing wrong with that. We all gotta go to work the next day.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
I have seen it a bit and I don't blame them. Playing third in the past and have had some rockets hit past me and second guessed my sanity. I never considered wearing one as my reaction time is still good enough to get out of the way and just let my left fielder pick it up. :)

With bats as hot as they are nowadays, I am sure many more people will start wearing them and nothing wrong with that. We all gotta go to work the next day.

You don't even work fool!

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
I see it every now and then but some of the guys I see wearing it are playing so far back with their heels in the grass that it seems like they are setting themselves up, because playing that far back the ball can take too many hops and hit off of who knows what.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're pretty common here. My 1B wears one, last year first and third both did.

PPC#12

Manager
I wear the rip it mask to pitch of course and just recently our 5 man and 2b started wearing the same thing.

Occasionally see a couple guys here and there with them but they're few and far between still

AmishFusion

Addicted to Softballfans
Played NSA state in St. Louis this past weekend and tons of guys were wearing masks... But they are also probably the worst fields in the states and that's no lie!!!

U played third.......:confused:.........PFFTTTT.......

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Seeing how the Rip It has little impact on vision, I don't know why more infielders don't wear it.

Several years ago I played with a damn good SS who took a bad hop straight to the front teeth.....that he no longer has now. Did some damage and most fielders I see aren't as good as him so I'm an advocate for a mask.

**Only issue would be if the sun is in your face, can't wear your hat with the bill forward.

myhook

Addicted to Softballfans
Seeing how the Rip It has little impact on vision, I don't know why more infielders don't wear it.

Several years ago I played with a damn good SS who took a bad hop straight to the front teeth.....that he no longer has now. Did some damage and most fielders I see aren't as good as him so I'm an advocate for a mask.

**Only issue would be if the sun is in your face, can't wear your hat with the bill forward.

Same here. Our SS is very good and in a matter of 8 months took 2 bad hops. Once his teeth came through his lip, 2nd time shattered his nose. Both balls were not hit hard just jumped up on him. He now wears a mask. Anytime I play IF I wear a mask as well. I have to wake up and go to work the next day.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Is it pretty common in Houston... I wear one also when pitching... I'm pretty geared up, but I'm a better fielder cause of it...

It's not uncommon.. Lots of glass down here. Combine that with sub par fields, masks are just insurance and I feel it provides a boost in confidence.

Sometimes both of our corner infielders are wearing them. If you play on crappy fields with .52s it's pretty much mandatory.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Played NSA state in St. Louis this past weekend and tons of guys were wearing masks... But they are also probably the worst fields in the states and that's no lie!!!

That's cause your anti technology LOL. I have considered wearing a helmut running the bases cause peeps in rec can't throw it catch. If I played any IF I would wear a mak and shin guards. If I pitched I would go full goalie gear

blldwg23

Coach
It is something I think you are going to see a lot more of. My brother who plays 3rd and myself 2nd are both looking into getting one. Just to many bad hops and as tourneys go on the fields we play on get worse. By the end it almost looks like a mine field and there is only so much landscaping you can do in an area.

For me and I think for him as well it was just getting past the stigma of wearing a mask, but then you see more and more infielders do it you start to ask yourself why not protect my face.