How to shake the yips?

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
In need of some pointers, tips, advice, juju, or whatever to overcome the yips when I get on deck, then step into the box. Two weeks ago, I was playing in a benefit tourney and my 2nd at bat hit the pitcher in the face and injuried the guy pretty bad, (broken nose, jaw, & eye socket and he had to have surgery) and I have felt like crap ever since. Now every time I get ready to hit I see the image of the accident and start to get very anxious and nervous that it is gonna happen again when I hit the ball. I had tried to not think about it but it just ain't working. This is not in any way shape or form a brag post just afraid that this accident has maybe ruined the game that I love. I am really considering not playing any games for a couple of weeks to help me get over this fear and anxiety that grips me everytime I get ready to hit. I wish that this would have never happened cause not only have I cost this guy a lot of pain and suffering and lost wages from being out of work but also my sanity cause it has affected me very bad even off the field. I cried the first 4-5 days over it and still get emotional about it now. In need of some help!!!

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Get an Easton Hammer. Work on bloops. I'm sorry man. Aside from telling you to get out in front of the ball, I don't know how to help.

fives55

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds to me that you are stand up kind of guy. I'd worry more if it didn't affect you.

Why wasn't he wearing a mask? You weren't trying to hit him, just happens.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Get an Easton Hammer. Work on bloops. I'm sorry man. Aside from telling you to get out in front of the ball, I don't know how to help.

I played Thursday and this weekend and hit everything on my front foot and off balance just trying to pull the ball and never hit anything real hard. I guess that I am going to have to work thru it.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Sounds to me that you are stand up kind of guy. I'd worry more if it didn't affect you.

Why wasn't he wearing a mask? You weren't trying to hit him, just happens.

He was not wearing a mask. I was and am one of the only ones around here that wear protection, only 1 other guy was wearing a mask and he played 2nd most of the day but he was on another team. I never want to witness this ever again!!

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Take BP with a screen for the pitcher, and work on hitting over or to the sides of it if it's a "middle" pitch. Don't force yourself to pull/push on balls or situations that don't call for it, you're just going to screw yourself up more.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Just like HH said, you gotta keep hitting. It's nothing more than a freak accident. And like someone else said... if you weren't concerned about it it'd be a little more bothering. Have you talked to the guy? Personally know him? Maybe hold a benefit tournament to help him out with costs.

Hal413

The Veteran
Keep hitting. The more you play, the further back in your mind it'll be. It sucks that it happened, but in time all things will start to get better and hopefully closer to normal. Like everyone else is saying, it'd be more of a concern if you weren't worried about it. Accidents happen, and thoughts and prayers go out to the you and the pitcher both.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I hit a guy in the face with a double play turn a number of years ago. Split the guys face open real bad, took a bunch of stitches to close, broke is orbital bone and gave him a concussion. He ended up going to the ER by ambulance, at one point one of the parametics said that the guy might lose his eye(luckily he didn't) I almost threw up. The next couple of days I had trouble sleeping and had nightmares about and it, even today 10 years later its makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up to think about. It was the 2nd game of a tourney, I played in the next 3 games at 2b still in shock about what happened. As much as we all act tough about the game you aren't human if seriously injuring someone over softball doesn't shake you up. After it happened the idea of playing ball made me sick to my stomach, all I could see was the giant gash and the blood ozzing blood down the guys face. Probably about a month away from the game I started getting the urge to play again and I went out and played some league games and slowly got comfortable playing again.

Rega17

'MERICA
I was there playing with rejones and saw it happen. Definitely one of the nastier things I've seen in person.
Bud I'm not sure what to tell ya to shake it except for accidents happen. Who knows you made need a break cuz it definitely doesn't seem like you are enjoying ball since it happened.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
I still enjoy playing but I could care less if I hit right now. I guess I need to start trying to draw the walk, cause that is about the only way I will get on base, LOL!!

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Relax and don't hit middle. I injured a pitcher pretty bad about 8 years ago. I haven't hit another one since. I just don't hit the middle.... at all.

Yeah, I do whatever I can to push or pull the ball depending on pitch location. But you know what, I still do on rare occasion rip it up the middle. I would feel bad too if I hurt someone so those yips or understandable. Work on hitting other places in some bp and maybe you come out of this with a couple more tools.

Beast28

Addicted to Softballfans
All depends on if you were trying to go middle or not. Be real here tell the truth to yourself at least. If you meant to go middle, then stop. Yank the snot out of the ball or go back door until you feel better. If you were trying to pull an outsider or inside out an insider and didn't mean to go middle then say your peace and get back to some tee work. You will get over it in time.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Like one guy said do something to raise money to help pay his bills
Become an advocate for all slow pitch pitchers to wear masks
Practice your control and don't hit middle, I try not to

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Middle is open, right? Shake it off or take a break.

All depends on if you were trying to go middle or not. Be real here tell the truth to yourself at least. If you meant to go middle, then stop. Yank the snot out of the ball or go back door until you feel better. If you were trying to pull an outsider or inside out an insider and didn't mean to go middle then say your peace and get back to some tee work. You will get over it in time.

Middle is always open! I wear shin guards, mask, & have a 15" glove.

I was just trying to hit the ball hard and if it went middle it went. The top of the inning before this happened, I had 6 or 7 hit right back up the middle and they were by me before I could react, after hitting him the whole team for the most part was swinging a different stick, and I was able to field these balls, take it for what it's worth. As soon as he was hit, his wife started yelling she wanted the bat, which was given to the ump and 2 or 3 looked at it then gave it back, stock 26oz cl22, I have only swung a Gillette once but it was in an outlaw tourney and only 1 at bat, but always are accused of swinging shavers along with another buddy of mine.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Like one guy said do something to raise money to help pay his bills
Become an advocate for all slow pitch pitchers to wear masks
Practice your control and don't hit middle, I try not to

I am planning on having a tournament to help him with some of the financial burdens he is incurring because of this. I don't know the guy personally but I can get in touch with him and plan on manning up and apologizing for hitting him. Thanks to everybody for the words of encouragement!!!!

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
When my incident took place, I waited about a week and reached out to a buddy of mine who knew someone on the other team and I had a phone conversation with the guy I hit and apologized like a 100 times, it did make me feel a little better that he didn't blame me. I would suggest giving it some time for cooler heads to prevail before you reach out, stuff like this can get people pretty angry and I'm sure the fact that there were some middle shots the half inning before some people probably think it was intentional. For me a couple of the guys on the other team wanted to take me out to the parking lot after they loaded him in the ambulance. I would go ahead and start planning the tourney or charity event you are going to have to raise money for his bills and then maybe in a week see if you can get his number or arrange a time to meet up. Leading the conversation with an apology and the info that you are trying to raise money to help pay his bills should make things a lot easier.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
It's good you feel bad, sounds like your perspective is on point.

If you hit a line drive off the 2nd baseman's face, would you feel the same? When you play ball, there is a chance someone will get injured. As long as you weren't trying to bust him, you are going to have to shake it off. Injuries are a possible outcome of every play on the field.

rhound50 gives some good advice as well.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
just work on abusing the lines. close in on the plate and open your stance a bit for pulling. obviously to the oppo for pushing to right field.

i hit middle occasionally if its an outside pitch and i've got nothing to waste, but after hitting a pitcher in the thigh a few years ago, i try my darndest not to.

usmcluberti

Banned User
if you were trying to hit the pitcher you wouldn't feel the way you do, stuff happens. I wouldn't take middle out of your game either, sometimes its the easiest way to keep getting hits.

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
Best way to get over it would be visiting the man. Tell him how bad you feel, and apologize face to face.
Dont go there putting all the blame on yourself because getting hit while being on the mound is part of the game, We all know that.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
A little update on the situation, I saw the guy at the park this weekend and apologized to him and he said not a problem and that it was just an accident and that it is all good. I also apologized to his wife for not saying anything at the time it happened and she seemed ok with it, and said thanks for apologizing. I offered to throw a tournament to help with some of the cost and he said to not worry about it. I still feel bad that it happened but feel a lot better now that I know that there isn't any hostility between us. And I am back to crushing the ball again but just not up the middle!!! It came around about 2-3 weeks ago.

J12

Coach
Take more BP and make sure you never hit middle again. If you trust you can just pull it every time you won't have to worry about it

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Glad everything seems to be working out for you bro. It and awful feeling to seriously injure someone and it being an accident doesn't really make it feel that much better.

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Injured Pitcher

Middle is open, right? Shake it off or take a break.

Middle is open? Ask the guy being rushed to the ER how he feels b/c someone actually believes it's cool to hurt a fellow softball player. I can't understand that macho attitude, acting as in putting a family/working man in the hospital is something to brag about... Normally those guys don't pitch, so why would they care?

sammyrod1

Addicted to Softballfans
Middle is a part of the game yes but anyone who intentionally hits someone is a sick person. One of my best friends is our pitcher if someone intentionally hurts him though I'm gonna do the same .