I Just Solved The Shaved Bat Epidemic

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru

Why can't anyone manufacture a bat that has a removable cap? Like a locking cap that can be removed with set screws or twist lock design of some sort? Any questions, you just take the damn cap off and look?!

You're welcome.....patent pending.....:D

Last edited:

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
It would work as long as you could prevent the endcap from popping out while being swing.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
I think someone had mentioned this in a thread awhile back....there is, IMO, no full proof way of stopping a bat from being shaved unless they go to all wood bats, hell, even that prob. wouldn't be full proof, there wld still be a way to work them, maybe cork them Albert Belle style, lol

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
AJ and I have been suggesting this since before you were on the board...one complication I found with the initial idea was that some people would use weighted endcaps instead of the right one for the bat, as not all endcaps have the same weight (you already know this).

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Universal weighted endcap, or one endcap per manufacturer with their logo. Like Combat has one endcap they use for all bats with the C, Demarini has only one they use in all their bats with the D logo, etc. You could also have a number stamped in the endcap matches the serial number on the bat.

hinzy

}}i{{
There are many ways to manufacture a bat that would make them very difficult if not impossible to alter without ruining the bat

Manufacturers to not want it, players dont want it....... end of story

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
We all know the bat companies like shaved bats.. It voids the warranty and bat sales go up. I really would like to see something done about shaved bats but looks like it will have to be ourselves self policing them

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
We all know the bat companies like shaved bats.. It voids the warranty and bat sales go up. I really would like to see something done about shaved bats but looks like it will have to be ourselves self policing them

If they were that worried about voiding the warranty they would just do like Combat did with the og Derby boy, and like Mizuno did on the Craze and blackout, and sell them with no warranty.

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
If they were that worried about voiding the warranty they would just do like Combat did with the og Derby boy, and like Mizuno did on the Craze and blackout, and sell them with no warranty.

I really dont think they care either way. Their money has been made no need for them to worry about anything else. I thought these compression checking machines were going to help and for the most part they do but I have heard that some have figured out how to get past that too. I say go back to all metal bats..

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
It would cut out the shaved bat heros and would level out some of the players no more 85lb guys hitting 700mph seeds through the infield

swingfreak98

Manager
In every league, an on every team you kno who is swinging worked bats. People run their sucks. take em out back, behind the shed an whoop that A$$$ !!!!

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Universal weighted endcap, or one endcap per manufacturer with their logo. Like Combat has one endcap they use for all bats with the C, Demarini has only one they use in all their bats with the D logo, etc. You could also have a number stamped in the endcap matches the serial number on the bat.

What about manufacturers who change endload with the endcap? Now they need to midload?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
To be honest it wouldn't hurt my feelings t go back to metal bats

Metal can be shaved to

Cheaters will always find a way around the rules. I have been known to use a Urtrip bat in ASA, but it was metal, LOL :D

As for shaving metal, yes it can be done but, they usually dent pretty quick, faster than shaved composites break. I know lotsa IF and pitchers complain about shavers but as an OF it makes it hard to play where you should. Honestly, some rule changes in slow pitch would change the game from home run derby to a more baseball like small ball offense type of game.

hevyd258

Addicted to Softballfans
Honestly this sounds like the best idea. Doesn't matter who's idea it is. And I am sure could be acheived easily with todays tech. Just the idea of an "instant check" of the a bat would prevent a lot of tampering. Being able to remove an endcap on the spot would instantly be able to provide a resolution to the situation. And I am sure the people of this board are not the first to come up with this idea. Which says something about the bat companies once again. MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!

hinzy

}}i{{
Looking inside does nothing

Don't you realize that if the bat is cut, there is always a way to make it "appear" to look stock on the inside?
People just dont do it now cause they don't have to

hinzy

}}i{{
I dont get what you are trying to say

What do you look for in a shaved bat when you look inside? You look to see if the composite is smooth and looks cut.

Now take a shaved bat, spray a light coating of resin or like spray inside and the bore is no longer smooth or looks cut