I moved from 1B to 3B and need help please

Richsseven

Guys and gals, so long story short, I used to be a utility player and used Nokonas, years ago. In 2001 a buddy mentioned that I should play 1B. So in my brainwashing I reached for a Nokona. I couldn't break it in so I opted for a Rawlings RFM9 mitt instead. That mitt is pure gold! I still have it and it works very well for me. The problem is I moved and now play on a team that needs me to occupy 3B or OF as everyone plays 1B. I've been eyeing the HOH/LE, PP and A2000 models (the Wilsons don't feel right to me though; I have an A2K A2800 mitt I could never break in the way I want). I also looked at GGE, Gamers, an XLE and one XP mitt. And now I'm more confused than ever. The Mizuno CPS and mitt feel awesome as well. Can you guys recommend a good glove combo? As in 1B mitt replacement and utility glove? I plan to play till I die. If I have to I'll get 3 gloves and prefer 2. No price point in mind just cheaper than Nokona please. Thanks.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
What size batting glove do you wear and do you prefer gloves that feel snug or does it not matter?

Richsseven

What size batting glove do you wear and do you prefer gloves that feel snug or does it not matter?
I wear an XL at the cages and don't usually wear with a fielding glove. I like to keep a snug fit. I'm not opposed to wearing a batting glove however.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
So here is the deal, often guys will post that they want a large pocket glove, but with a snug fit and they wear a M batting glove. You cannot have it all. The bigger the pocket, the bigger the handstall.

If you wear an XL batting glove though, you can get by with a slightly bigger glove. I think a Rawlings PRO303 would be a great choice. It comes in 12.75" and 13" versions.

Richsseven

So here is the deal, often guys will post that they want a large pocket glove, but with a snug fit and they wear a M batting glove. You cannot have it all. The bigger the pocket, the bigger the handstall.

If you wear an XL batting glove though, you can get by with a slightly bigger glove. I think a Rawlings PRO303 would be a great choice. It comes in 12.75" and 13" versions.
Interesting. I picked up a couple and I liked the design. The modified trap and standard web would be my preference. I'm more of an infielder and I think both patterns would be fine. The prices among 303s vary however.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting. I picked up a couple and I liked the design. The modified trap and standard web would be my preference. I'm more of an infielder and I think both patterns would be fine. The prices among 303s vary however.

HOH MSRP is $250 and Pro Preferred MSRP is $360. For various reasons you can find them cheaper, but the big quality difference is between the HOH and PP lines. Be sure to ask Milocomen (Chad) for SBF.com member pricing.

The mod trap web will make for a narrower and shallower playing glove than the H web option.

Richsseven

Good point! I'm considering a 13" 1B mitt & 13" H-web Pro303 now. I'm not sure if the 12.25" PP will be as effective as 12.5" or 13" at 1B.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans

Richsseven

Thanks for the tip! I like it, I may order. I want to look at the Rizzo and Goldschmidt models. I think they're sized at 13. I would want to match a 303 to whatever I get. It's not a deciding factor but matching gloves helps me ID my gear. Weird I know.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the tip! I like it, I may order. I want to look at the Rizzo and Goldschmidt models. I think they're sized at 13. I would want to match a 303 to whatever I get. It's not a deciding factor but matching gloves helps me ID my gear. Weird I know.

You need to try to compare them side by side. Stamped sizes are iffy, but it's especially true for mitts. BTW, the Goldschmidt model is a DCT (just black with tan binding).

David the Gnome

The Veteran
What is even the proper way to measure a first base mitt? I've never really worried about what size they were in the past, but again I'm playing hardball so it's not as big an issue to me I guess.

Richsseven

I checked out the glove smith site, thanks. It would be hard to order something that may/may not be to my liking. What do you guys think about the ProHarp? Or 303BH? They're different sizes of course

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
What is even the proper way to measure a first base mitt? I've never really worried about what size they were in the past, but again I'm playing hardball so it's not as big an issue to me I guess.

Similar to a glove Top of the toe by the web and straight down towards the heel until you hit the binding. Easier when the glove is taken apart, but you get a pretty similar measurement either way.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I checked out the glove smith site, thanks. It would be hard to order something that may/may not be to my liking. What do you guys think about the ProHarp? Or 303BH? They're different sizes of course

They are both Pro303 models and the difference is 1/4" in the length of the fingers.

Great price on the red ProHarp at SBF. ... Just note that red leather quickly fades.

Richsseven

Update: I ordered a new 13" 303-6JBT as I saw a price tag I couldn't pass up. I also have on order a 303BH 12.75" at a very, very good price. I'll try each and pick one for 3b. If I like it, I'll try it in the outfield. I'm not crazy about the colors and I can always order a custom or relace. I did take your advice regarding red leather. It's a bit flashy for me. I might as well play with a gold glove or gold label. Now it's time to order a 13" mitt. I want to order the SBF retro looking mitt for fall ball. Thank you all for your advice.

Richsseven

Wow. So I was in Austin this weekend watching my kid play soccer. I know. Anyhow, I stumbled upon what appeared to be a vintage glove. A 12.75 Rawlings Sandlot. I've seen some at sports stores but not like this one. This glove was stiff, looked old and needed breaking in. So what did I do? I didn't have a 3b glove (okay so the Mizuno classic pro soft sort of filled in but it's my buddy's) so I picked up the Sandlot. I gamed 3b with it and some of the players commented on the age. I think they meant glove age, not my age. Well, the glove was awesome. Today however arrived a 303 and I like it! The colors are blah and I may match up with the 13" DCT. I saw a color sync that had an attractive price tag. Size 12.75 I believe. But, the 303BH is arriving soon. I looked at the LE 303 in red/black. It's a 12.75 as well. A friend commented that I should look at Rawlings softball gloves. If I do I'll check out the A2000 'Merica.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow. So I was in Austin this weekend watching my kid play soccer. I know. Anyhow, I stumbled upon what appeared to be a vintage glove. A 12.75 Rawlings Sandlot. I've seen some at sports stores but not like this one. This glove was stiff, looked old and needed breaking in. So what did I do? I didn't have a 3b glove (okay so the Mizuno classic pro soft sort of filled in but it's my buddy's) so I picked up the Sandlot. I gamed 3b with it and some of the players commented on the age. I think they meant glove age, not my age. Well, the glove was awesome. Today however arrived a 303 and I like it! The colors are blah and I may match up with the 13" DCT. I saw a color sync that had an attractive price tag. Size 12.75 I believe. But, the 303BH is arriving soon. I looked at the LE 303 in red/black. It's a 12.75 as well. A friend commented that I should look at Rawlings softball gloves. If I do I'll check out the A2000 'Merica.

I think I can speak for the entire glove forum when I welcome you to your new addiction!

Richsseven

Thanks. I see now why the 303/302/1799 platforms are popular. I'm eyeing the "Dodgers colors" 3039 model now. I tried the YP66/HR12.75 models and for whatever reason, they seem too light and fragile to handle hard-hit balls. Is it just me? I aim for a tough, durable glove that's also quick/fast. My black 303 comes out this weekend and the Sandlot (wannabe 303) will be ready! I shouldn't like that glove but I do. It fits me (loose) and serves as an extension of my hand, like my trusty old Rawlings mitt. BTW the Mizunos CPS leathers are back in my friend's bag. It was nice while it lasted.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
if you have time to wait, i think there are still some of the 3030s available in the Sept special order. you could pm milocoman and see the mockup in the RGGC thread

Richsseven

I'm not sure who's on commission, and congrats on 2 sales. I preordered the DCT and purchased the 303 H-web size 13. Whenever designed the glove is an artistic genius! Thanks to all. That Sandlot is looking more and more like a backyard or BBQ glove. Is it bad that I don't want to use the new 303s? They look awesome brand new.

And what conditioner do you guys recommend? I have Nokona and Lexol that I use for my leather seats/couches. I usually just use the gloves as-is and break them in during warm-ups. I find them fairly playable. The Nokonas and All-Star not so much.

Thanks again guys.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Nokona NLT is just Vaseline while the Nokona Premium Leather Treatment is beeswax (like JobSite leather waterproofer or Obenauf's LP). If you want to soften up the pocket, hinge or web, the Lexol conditioner in the brown bottle is good. Waxes like Vaseline or beeswx should be used sparingly (they are more of a sealer than conditioner), but are especially useful for the lining to keep sweat from soaking into the leather. Sweat will kill a glove faster than anything... except using an oven, microwave, or your car to break it in (yes, some guys drive their car over their glove to break it in).

Richsseven

For 3b? When I moved over I didn't do it willingly. Granted most everyone on my team "plays" 1b and now I get some 3b experience. I may give SS a shot this weekend. It's been a while. I'm that guy that used to play SS then 3b then 2b and one day someone said hey, why don't you try 1b? Been there ever since. 16 years strong. I like the position. I like the mitt.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure who's on commission, and congrats on 2 sales. I preordered the DCT and purchased the 303 H-web size 13. Whenever designed the glove is an artistic genius! Thanks to all. That Sandlot is looking more and more like a backyard or BBQ glove. Is it bad that I don't want to use the new 303s? They look awesome brand new.

And what conditioner do you guys recommend? I have Nokona and Lexol that I use for my leather seats/couches. I usually just use the gloves as-is and break them in during warm-ups. I find them fairly playable. The Nokonas and All-Star not so much.

Thanks again guys.

I think the designer is noted on the builds in that thread...

Richsseven

I saw that! Nice build. I like the other 303 trap. I would definitely be able to ID that glove quickly. I don't play much outfield but when I do, I'll be sure to use a good glove. And Rawlings seems to be a good choice.

Richsseven

I cannot wait to check out my RGGC 303 on order. The PRO303BH came in and man, it fits great, with or without a batting glove! In comparison, the Gordon model is tight as are the BG models. I wonder what the current all black model is like? With that said, a pickup of the lower cost PROHARP may not be a bad idea as a backup glove despite the discoloration of the red, to pink, I presume? On an exciting note, I placed a bid and won an auction on a '13" HOH glove'. In the mail arrived a PRO1000-SBF that looks and feels very new. It will be a good match to the DCT mitt on order! Both are timber, correct?