ASA If asa stamps not visible are they legal to use

second2noone

In ASA, if they are not visible then you cannot use but depends on the discretion of the umpire too. Sometimes they allow it and sometimes they don't.

jplum13

Eat the food Tina!
What constitutes being "visible"? If half of the stamp is visible is it gtg? Just a corner? Or the whole darn thing?

Ralcyna

Addicted to Softballfans
What if you carried around a list of ASA approved bats that has the bat in question? Would that be enough? Or does the mark have to be visible?

flatstick96

Addicted to Softballfans
In reality, there is a big difference between "visible" and "legible" - what do the rules say, exactly?

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to own a Recoil where the stamp was pretty much gone. Sometimes they wouldn't allow it, but most of the time they would allow it when they checked pregame. Depends on the umps mood I guess.

T

team_091

If the stamp is gone, because some are in a "bad" spot, does it have to be sent into manufacture for a recert to be legal again?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the stamp is gone, because some are in a "bad" spot, does it have to be sent into manufacture for a recert to be legal again?

Some will do it, some won't. They're not required to.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do this intentionally.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If I'm 100% positive on the bat's model and have zero reason to believe that the bat isn't being misrepresented somehow, I'll allow it. The ASA Miken Recoils (MSRFA and MSRMA) immediately come to mind as examples of these bats.

However, an umpire would be perfectly justified in saying, "I don't see a stamp, so I'm not letting it in."

It's a shame that these manufacturers chose such a terrible spot upon which to place the stamp. It forces umpires to toss out bats with minimal wear, and players then have to go back to the store to buy ano... Hey, wait a second... I think I figured it out. :rolleyes:

chiefn10

Addicted to Softballfans
true, it seems they always put the ASA stamp at the end of the barrel where you get the most wear on the bat.

chiefn10

Addicted to Softballfans
and when using an ASA ball, if it is scuffed and not "legible", tell the ump to throw it out and get a new ball in. lol

jimmermc

Pitcher

Miken wouldn't put on a new stamp with my brother's Recoil. It was under warranty so they replaced it with a Chaos.