ASA Illegal Ball

dustyjoe23

Manager
My league started using the .52 275 balls this year. Last night a little dude on the other team hit an into the wind hr. When my pitcher got the ball back he looked at it and it was a .44 375. When we asked the ump about it she said you have to say something about it before the play. We were hitting the ball we provided and the other team hit the one they provided. Why would we be penalized by following the rules? Is it the pitcher's responsability to check the ball? We won anyway.

not knowing the actual ruling, I as a pitcher always check which ever ball is thrown in to me. though we still use .44 375. and if you won doesnt really matter what they used. although your right about the rules needing to be followed.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
If teams are supplying the balls and the umpires are not controlling the entry of balls into the game then yes, it is the pitchers responsibility. Sorry.

And, for his own safety a pitcher should ALWAYS check a ball thrown into the game!!!

My league started using the .52 275 balls this year. Last night a little dude on the other team hit an into the wind hr. When my pitcher got the ball back he looked at it and it was a .44 375. When we asked the ump about it she said you have to say something about it before the play. We were hitting the ball we provided and the other team hit the one they provided. Why would we be penalized by following the rules? Is it the pitcher's responsability to check the ball? We won anyway.

what field were you on,i play on 3(seeing your from longview),had a by last nite.

question,if you see that a illegal ball has been thrown as the pitcher,can you(like for a illegal bat),call it out after a hit and get an out,or does the ball have to be called out before you pitch it.

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
Is it possible it was a different ball than the one he hit??? Maybe the ball went into some woods or tall grass? On the plus side, I bet your pitcher will check the ball from now on!!

Both balls are ASA legal, so it's not an ASA rule issue. Ask your league and/or umpire how to handle it.

I agree that on team supplied leagues it's the responsibility of your pitcher to know what he's pitching.

both balls are asa legal, so it's not an asa rule issue. Ask your league and/or umpire how to handle it.

I agree that on team supplied leagues it's the responsibility of your pitcher to know what he's pitching.

not the point,as the op says,the ball must be a 52 ball,not just an asa ball.we use the orignal 52-275 that trump first came out ,with no stamp what so ever on it(these are the ones sold at the park),so as long as the ump can see that it is a 52 ball thats all he is looking for.

not the point,as the op says,the ball must be a 52 ball,not just an asa ball.we use the orignal 52-275 that trump first came out ,with no stamp what so ever on it(these are the ones sold at the park),so as long as the ump can see that it is a 52 ball thats all he is looking for.

He listed the question as "ASA". If the association didn't matter it should have been listed under "(no prefix), Other, or Any". When the OP is discussing what balls are being used and it's listed under ASA it could be taken as that he's speaking of ASA balls.

dustyjoe23

Manager
We were on field 1. It actually happened twice that game. At our park the ball is immediatly thrown back in since it is hit on an adjacent field so the ball went directly back to the pitcher. The first ball they hit out was so worn you couldn't see any markings which should not have been allowed to start the game as both teams balls are given to the umpire. The second one had .44 375 clearly written on it. I know in co-ed if the wrong ball is pitched you can either take the result of the play or redo with the correct ball.

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitcher needs to check the ball. If he doesn't like the ball or sees it is not the correct COR/COMP that the league specifies then he may ask the umpire to have the ball replaced.
Since the balls are team-supplied, this whole situation can be remedied by the plate umpire in the pre-game. How I do it is ask the teams for the game balls before the game starts and for a backup from each team. If 1 or both teams do not have a backup, then we go with what we have. No other balls are allowed to be put into play going forward. This prevents the "oh, here's one in my bag I forgot about" after their hitter fouls off the 2 game balls...

dustyjoe23 said:
I know in co-ed if the wrong ball is pitched you can either take the result of the play or redo with the correct ball.
This rule actually pertains to the size ofthe ball, not the COR/Comp of the ball. If a female batter is pitched a 12" ball and it is discovered before the next pitch then she may assume the count prior to the wrong ball being used OR take the result of the play.

He listed the question as "ASA". If the association didn't matter it should have been listed under "(no prefix), Other, or Any". When the OP is discussing what balls are being used and it's listed under ASA it could be taken as that he's speaking of ASA balls.

as i said our league only requires that it says 52 on our ball,otherwise they wouldn't be selling the trump 52-275 ball with no assoc stamps at the concession stand for use in league.yes we do have to use an ASA ball otherwise if not the one bought out of the con stand,but it must be the 52 ball.it is not a 44 ball league.

dusty make sure your pitcher checks all balls before pitching in div 1,seen a lot of crap go on there.if no marking toss it back and make them give him one that has legible marking.