ASA Illegal bat penalty

HR hitters club

Addicted to Softballfans
USA/ASA league play...

Had a player hit a Senior bat last night without an ASA stamp. Team notified the ump after the player hit with it. He removed the bat, but didn't assign any outs/penalties. Was this the correct ruling?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
USA/ASA league play...

Had a player hit a Senior bat last night without an ASA stamp. Team notified the ump after the player hit with it. He removed the bat, but didn't assign any outs/penalties. Was this the correct ruling?

That is not an illegal bat, but a non-approved bat. The penalty is the player is ruled out and ejected. If there were runners who advanced on the ball being put into play, they must return to the base held at the time of the pitch. Any outs executed during that play remain as outs

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I stopped reading at "league play" - best to consult your league-specific rules first, and if not covered specifically there, then what irish said.

RNRPLZ

Do your umpires not do a bat check prior to all games before they start? It’s a blanket rule in our leagues as well as state and national tournaments.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
30+ years of play here and never had bats chxs prior to games (league play) even after all the comp test crap came up, only prior to tourney are/were bats chxd..

Unfortunately more than half the umps here wouldn't/don't know what the hell they're looking for.. js

HR hitters club

Addicted to Softballfans
ump did check the bats prior to play, but players arrived late and brought bats so this one wasnt checked as part of the pre game check. A player on the other team was yelling about a forfeit due to the non-approved bat, but I didnt think that was the right ruling.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
In my ASA league we get compression tested and a decal. I called out a guy with a Freak 12, it had the "approved" decal fortunately the Ump plays too so he knows his bats. Also, if you're going to call them out on it do it after the fact so you can get the out and return the runners to their original position.

r8dr_rider

Refer to league rules

The ASA league I played in, blue always checked bats for stamps before game.

If caught using a non ASA league rules would eject team manager and player using bat.

Everyone still used U Trip bats and nobody really cared

baseman

in your face nancy grace
That is not an illegal bat, but a "undocumented" bat. The penalty is the player is ruled out and ejected. If there were runners who advanced on the ball being put into play, they must return to the base held at the time of the pitch. Any outs executed during that play remain as outs

Fixed it for you. ;) Just kidding great answer.