ASA Illegal Bat

j_snyd

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing in an ASA league last night and was informed by the umpire that my Easton Salvo (SRV5) was illegal because it has the old 2004 ASA stamp and not the 2013 stamp. I am looking on the USA softball website and it shows the SRV5 under approved bats. Is there something new this year that ASA bats with the old stamps are outlawed? Am I OK to use the Salvo? I haven't played much the last couple years and haven't kept up with bat rules. Thanks for the help.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
sounds like your league uses the 2013 ASA stamped bat rule
good luck with that
SMOKE

tonys1

Check your local league rules but the SRV5 is not on the ASA banned bat list. Believe it or not, in our ASA leagues here, having a bat with only the ASA 2013 stamp is illegal on top of any bats on the ASA banned bat list. ASA 2013 + ISF, ASA 2004, ASA 2000 or anything with ISF 2005 is good here. ASA 2013 alone is ngtg!

Some leagues even have statements like "if it's made by LS and the letter Z is in the bat name it's illegal" and another league around here has outlawed the Easton Ghost.

j_snyd

Addicted to Softballfans
So the 2013 ASA stamp only rule is a league rule, not an official ASA/USA Softball rule?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Aren't there new bats being made that still have the 2004 stamp? I thought that the 2013 stamp made it legal only for slowpitch and that a bat had to have the 2004 to be legal for fastpitch.

tonys1

Aren't there new bats being made that still have the 2004 stamp? I thought that the 2013 stamp made it legal only for slowpitch and that a bat had to have the 2004 to be legal for fastpitch.

Personally the only new bat I've seen that has the ASA 2004 stamp is the fastpitch Ghost

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I know it's just semantics, but technically that would be considered a non-approved bat, not an illegal bat. The rule book has different definitions for each.

But yes, sounds like either a league rule or an umpire who doesn't know what he's talking about. In ASA slowpitch, bats with the 2000, 2004, and 2013 stamp are approved as long as they are on the approved equipment list. Heck, the rule book even has a procedure to allow pre-2000 stamp bats to be used that have no ASA stamps at all.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I know it's just semantics, but technically that would be considered a non-approved bat, not an illegal bat. The rule book has different definitions for each.

But yes, sounds like either a league rule or an umpire who doesn't know what he's talking about. In ASA slowpitch, bats with the 2000, 2004, and 2013 stamp are approved as long as they are on the approved equipment list. Heck, the rule book even has a procedure to allow pre-2000 stamp bats to be used that have no ASA stamps at all.

Illegal bat - one which was legal at one time, but went out of spec due to damage
Non-approved bat - one which was never an approved bat or was approved and had its certification removed due to further testing

A bat with a 2013 stamp is for the SP game only. They were developed in conjunction with the introduction of the 52/300 ball into the SP game

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Correct. FP bats are a valid option for anybody who still requires the older stamp for their slowpitch league, provided they swing 26oz or less. The bats will be more durable too since they're still made for .44/375 balls.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Correct. FP bats are a valid option for anybody who still requires the older stamp for their slowpitch league, provided they swing 26oz or less. The bats will be more durable too since they're still made for .44/375 balls.

Since this is designated ASA (USA), your comment is rubbish. The only limits on any bats length or weight is a max of 34" and 38oz respectively

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
that's a heavy ass bat

also how many bats marketed for the fastpitch game do you see being made over 28oz?

Back when real men played the game :) Yes, you will not find a bat marketed in today's game, but SP players were using 26oz bats for quite a while now and not just those marketed for FP. OTOH, I've seen players use one-handed bats, 18" long and still hit the **** out of the ball (SP)

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Since this is designated ASA (USA), your comment is rubbish. The only limits on any bats length or weight is a max of 34" and 38lbs respectively

also how many bats marketed for the fastpitch game do you see being made over 28oz?

Irish, I understand that USA Softball (keep wanting to say ASA) doesn't restrict bat weight to 26oz or less. But find me a current production model from a major manufacturer that weighs more than 26. Hell, in recent years -10 (24oz) seems to be the max for a lot of models.