Any Illegal bat

Smokies26

Manager
Just asked in a response to a different statement in a different thread in the open section, so no need to answer there. Almost forgot about this section. So here is my question: Have any of you ever not let a team/person use a bat, because they hit it against a pole, another bat, or any other object that would break in a bat, other than a ball, deeming it illegal? I know that this happens all the time and people always talk about it making the bat illegal, so it got me wondering if any of you have not let a bat be used that you saw have this happen.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Just asked in a response to a different statement in a different thread in the open section, so no need to answer there. Almost forgot about this section. So here is my question: Have any of you ever not let a team/person use a bat, because they hit it against a pole, another bat, or any other object that would break in a bat, other than a ball, deeming it illegal? I know that this happens all the time and people always talk about it making the bat illegal, so it got me wondering if any of you have not let a bat be used that you saw have this happen.

I've not witnessed anyone stupid enough to do this on the field when I'm around. However, if I did, I would mentally "mark" that bat for removal when I later perform my pre-game bat check if they are obviously trying to break it in by abnormal means.

This whole "ball mallet" thing is just ridiculous. It's the same as rolling: illegal.

davidhasselmash

Addicted to Softballfans
are bat mallets really illegal? i have a few so dont wanna get the yank if im using them in front of people or umps.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
If the "ball mallet" is using a legal ball how does it break the rule? Could you please list the actual rule(USSSA and ASA) that it breaks.

Smokies26

Manager
If the "ball mallet" is using a legal ball how does it break the rule? Could you please list the actual rule(USSSA and ASA) that it breaks.

Good question and since I am too lazy to look it up my guess would be a pitched ball, but idk. I think it is all pretty silly. Shaving is the only thing that I see as a real advantage. I have never heard anyone say after a ball that is smashed "That bat has been rolled".

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Good question and since I am too lazy to look it up my guess would be a pitched ball, but idk. I think it is all pretty silly. Shaving is the only thing that I see as a real advantage. I have never heard anyone say after a ball that is smashed "That bat has been rolled".

This argument always comes up. Rolling provides a distinct advantage or people wouldn't do it. In all major associations, it is considering a bat for a reason.

Answer this for me:
You buy 2 brand new identical composite bats, take the wrapper off both and roll just 1 of them. Which do you think will perform better in your game tonight?

Mdclinks18

Lets Go Twins
This whole "ball mallet" thing is just ridiculous. It's the same as rolling: illegal.

This argument always comes up. Rolling provides a distinct advantage or people wouldn't do it. In all major associations, it is considering a bat for a reason.

Answer this for me:
You buy 2 brand new identical composite bats, take the wrapper off both and roll just 1 of them. Which do you think will perform better in your game tonight?

Well what if the same bat is used in BP for 1000 hits and then used in a game instead of rolling it. The bat with 1000 swings will be much hotter than a bat that has been rolled for game swings only. I dont see anything wrong with rolling a bat. I dont do it as I take enough BP to not have to. But like I said I see nothing wrong with it either. Shaving on the other hand gives you much more of an advantage.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Well what if the same bat is used in BP for 1000 hits and then used in a game instead of rolling it. The bat with 1000 swings will be much hotter than a bat that has been rolled for game swings only. I dont see anything wrong with rolling a bat. I dont do it as I take enough BP to not have to. But like I said I see nothing wrong with it either. Shaving on the other hand gives you much more of an advantage.

The same old argument. It never changes.
Rolling is a shortcut. It takes a lot of time and BP and break in the bat.
It also breaks in the barrel of the bat in ways that are typically not done through normal BP. The vast majority of people (if not all) do not break in the entire length of the barrel through BP. From the beginning of the barrel to a little before the end cap on all "sides" of the bat. It just doesn't happen.

What are your thoughts on steroids in sports?
If you're not against them, then I won't even bother arguing w/ you because it will be a waste of time.

Steroids are a shortcut too. You can work out like a mad man and get bigger and stronger. But by taking steroids you can do it in a lot less time.

While it's not a perfect analogy, they are both against the rules and both give you an advantage and provide a shortcut.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
It's illegal because the associations say it's against the rules. Seems like a simple argument.

As for the OP - anyone who takes a bat and whacks it against a pole or uses a ball mallet at the fields where umps are present deserves to not only have their bat removed from the game, but also a lifetime ban for being enormously stupid.

Mdclinks18

Lets Go Twins
The same old argument. It never changes.
Rolling is a shortcut. It takes a lot of time and BP and break in the bat.
It also breaks in the barrel of the bat in ways that are typically not done through normal BP. The vast majority of people (if not all) do not break in the entire length of the barrel through BP. From the beginning of the barrel to a little before the end cap on all "sides" of the bat. It just doesn't happen.

What are your thoughts on steroids in sports?
If you're not against them, then I won't even bother arguing w/ you because it will be a waste of time.

Steroids are a shortcut too. You can work out like a mad man and get bigger and stronger. But by taking steroids you can do it in a lot less time.

While it's not a perfect analogy, they are both against the rules and both give you an advantage and provide a shortcut.

So you would be in favor of throwing out fielding gloves if someone was caught with glove oil or glove bake in their bag? Just another shortcut?

Killin Time

Addicted to Softballfans
I say the only reason rolling is illegal is because the bat manufacturers paid the associations to say it is, that way it gives the manufactuer another out when they dont want to honor a warrenty. Just my 2 cents!

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I say the only reason rolling is illegal is because the bat manufacturers paid the associations to say it is, that way it gives the manufactuer another out when they dont want to honor a warrenty. Just my 2 cents!

If I were you I'd ask for your 2 cents back:eek:
The associations have nothing to do with bat warranties. The terms of the warranty is the only thing that matters. The associations can say anything they want, it doesn't affect your bat warranty.

If I had to guess, the reason why the bat companies look for reasons not to honor warranties is because a lot of returns aren't legit. Just look on the selling board. Tons of people are selling "returnable" bats with no receipt. The warranties are not transferable to begin with and if you don't have the original receipt you're not supposed to be able to return it. People "find" receipts that aren't accurate in order to take advantage of the bat companies (also called fraud). This is part of the reason why bats are so expensive.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So you would be in favor of throwing out fielding gloves if someone was caught with glove oil or glove bake in their bag? Just another shortcut?

I've yet to see a glove kill another player on the field...

This is all I will say on the subject. There's a world of difference between a player breaking in a bat by using it in the way it was meant to be used (to hit a ball during practice or during a game) and taking an object to the bat to break it in artificially.

All associations agree upon this. It's illegal. Do I care why? Do I care whether or not it makes the bat hotter? No, I don't.

If you feel otherwise, then talk to your player reps and ask them to submit a rule change for this November's meeting. See what they say about it.

rolling,tapping and etc elongates the sweet spot on a bat,if done right.a 3" SS can be lengthen out to 6" or so.that is where the advantage come into play.i have yet to see anyone doing bp get that done.