ASA illegal glove

jonsey

I know ASA changed there rule a few years ago and it is now legal to use a 1b mitt anywhere. My question is before the rule change what was the penalty for an OF who caught a fly ball with a mitt?

ureout

The Veteran
I think the offensive coach has an option of either accepting the catch for an out and if runners advanced they stay or the batter gets a do over with the same count he had before the fly ball

justin22

just played in a tournament and my buddy use a 1b mitt at ss, so the other team pointed it out and we just did a do over and he had to use a different glove.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Let's say bases are loaded with one out, and the batter has a 2-2 count. The batter hits a grounder to the shortstop who has a 15" glove. Shortstop gets the runner out at second, doesn't turn the double play, but the runner from third scores.

The coach has two options: take the result of the play, keep the run, and we now have two outs, OR have the batter come back to the plate, put all the runners back where they were prior to the last pitch, and the batter goes back to a 2-2 count.

Prior to the rule change, the same rule applied to a fielder involved in a play while wearing a mitt playing a position other than 1B or catcher.

ureout

The Veteran
Let's say bases are loaded with one out, and the batter has a 2-2 count. The batter hits a grounder to the shortstop who has a 15" glove. Shortstop gets the runner out at second, doesn't turn the double play, but the runner from third scores.

The coach has two options: take the result of the play, keep the run, and we now have two outs, OR have the batter come back to the plate, put all the runners back where they were prior to the last pitch, and the batter goes back to a 2-2 count.

Prior to the rule change, the same rule applied to a fielder involved in a play while wearing a mitt playing a position other than 1B or catcher.

thx for a direct answer

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans

So, what i get from this is, it is ok to have an illegal glove as long as player using the illegal glove is not involved in a play??