Other Illegal Pitch Appealable?

USFA 12U State Tournament

Is an Illegal Pitch Appealable?

Sit. 1 Out, 2-2 count on batter.
Pitcher clearly starts motion, stops, then restarts and pitches.
Neither the PU or BU call it.
Batter, hits Pop-up to F6.

We "appeal" that it was an illegal pitch, so the count should be 3-2.
Umpires confer and agree that her actions did constitute an illegal pitch.

Other team, calls time and argues that this is not appealable, for which the game is haulted until UIC is contacted. It is then ruled that it is not appealable, therefore the play stands?

Was this the correct ruling?

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Way out of my element here but in sp you can swing at an illegal pitch. If you swing it makes the illegal pitch irrelevant and the swing stands.

old

Banned User
Unless your softball fields have pitch tracker, it's a judgment call I believe. If you swing at it, illegal or not, it's a live ball unless for some reason the umpire calls it a dead ball.

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless your softball fields have pitch tracker, it's a judgment call I believe. If you swing at it, illegal or not, it's a live ball unless for some reason the umpire calls it a dead ball.

When an illegal pitch is hit, in most fastpitch associations (no clue about USFA), the offensive coach will have the option of taking the result of the play or accepting the penalty (ball on the batter - base runners advance one base). Some associations limit when the coach has a choice.

I tried to see if USFA was like that also, but their rulebook online never mentioned it.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Speaking ASA

USFA 12U State Tournament

Is an Illegal Pitch Appealable?

Sit. 1 Out, 2-2 count on batter.
Pitcher clearly starts motion, stops, then restarts and pitches.
Neither the PU or BU call it.
Batter, hits Pop-up to F6.

We "appeal" that it was an illegal pitch, so the count should be 3-2.
Umpires confer and agree that her actions did constitute an illegal pitch.

Other team, calls time and argues that this is not appealable, for which the game is haulted until UIC is contacted. It is then ruled that it is not appealable, therefore the play stands?

Was this the correct ruling?

This is not appealable.

Thanks DeputyUICHouston!

We didnt think it was, but we called it as it happened, but the play still went on.
As I stated, they confered and realized what she did was illegal, but they were caught, because they didn't call it immediately.

The funny thing here was that the PU in this game was the BU in our next game, against a different team.
Guess what he called on the other team's pitcher on her first pitch? You guessed it. An Illegal pitch.
We said thanks, but you're a game behind on that one. He laughed as we did.

MDUmp,
For your response with the offensive coach's choice, would it be that scenario if the pitch was called illegal by the umpires and the batter still hit it?

This was another thought on the play, but since the umpires didn't call it, it takes that option away, correct?

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans
MDUmp,
For your response with the offensive coach's choice, would it be that scenario if the pitch was called illegal by the umpires and the batter still hit it?

This was another thought on the play, but since the umpires didn't call it, it takes that option away, correct?

Both of your statements are correct for the associations that I'm familiar with. USFA is not one of those. :D