In your stance, which shoulder is higher

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
We were having a discussion in the Ask The Umpire forum, and I figured it would be a better idea to run a poll to get a more definitive answer.

When in your stance, which shoulder is higher (front or back), or are they even?

I created a poll in the poll section so if you can vote there, that would be great.

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=877291

Last edited:

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i need pics of this......i cant' even imagine standing so ****ed up my shoulders aren't the same height

TastySalami

Addicted to Softballfans
thank god im not the only one thinking this. i thought it was just too early in the mornign for me

something like this...

julio.jpg

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
My back shoulder is higher, but not significantly. Maybe by only a couple of inches. Nothing drastic. I think it actually helps me swing level/slightly down.

Last edited:

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i'm actually being honest w/ this reply but instead of dipping a shoulder to help keep from poppping up, why not just fix yoru swing plane instead of bandaiding the problem???

Primo

fat and famous pablo
so shoulders should be even, do your elbows point out or down??

down.......the elbows should ALWAYS point down.....unless your Pujols, your elbws should be down.......if youre swinging a bat at a ball that's pitched, your elbows need to point down

timyoung

Panda Smash!
My shoulders are even. I keep my chin on my front shoulder and when I swing it goes from my front shoulder to my back shoulder. That helps keep my head down and reminds me not to drop my back shoulder. I also have my back elbow pointed straight down and almost tucked against my body. I also found that having a full follow through swing will help keep me from popping up. Make sure you hold onto the bat as you come around with both hands. If you take your top hand off as soon as you make contact you stop driving through the ball.

I agree with Primo that the elbows should always be down and about band aiding the problem. Proper mechanics through and through will be better off than making a small adjustment here and there.

TastySalami

Addicted to Softballfans
My shoulders are even. I keep my chin on my front shoulder and when I swing it goes from my front shoulder to my back shoulder. That helps keep my head down and reminds me not to drop my back shoulder. I also have my back elbow pointed straight down and almost tucked against my body. I also found that having a full follow through swing will help keep me from popping up. Make sure you hold onto the bat as you come around with both hands. If you take your top hand off as soon as you make contact you stop driving through the ball.

I agree with Primo that the elbows should always be down and about band aiding the problem. Proper mechanics through and through will be better off than making a small adjustment here and there.

Ok I was kidding with the picture, its not that extreme. But you also have to realize everyone's swing will be different. What works for someone will not always work for someone else. Do what makes you happy.

timyoung

Panda Smash!
I know you were kidding, I was just stating what works for me. I have some guys on my team with the ugliest swings ever but they get on. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

fldiverr

Addicted to Softballfans
I think they are pretty even. Although I've never really given it much thought. I just go into my natural stance of what feels comfortable. I do make a conscious effort not to drop my back shoulder during the swing. But while in my stance, I don't give it a lot of thought.