Infield fly scenario

Iceman6409

Runners on first and second, no outs. Batter hits a medium high pop up in between the pitcher and catcher. Infield fly is immediately called, batter is out. Pitcher made a little effort to try and get to the ball but since it was a senior league he could not get there in time. Catcher never moved but probably had a much better chance to get to the ball if he tried at all. Ball drops to the ground. Easy call. Batting team says a fielder has to try and make a catch on infield fly. What say you?

Iceman6409

If only we had a whole article written on this... :D
I know I know. Of course the player does not believe me because we all know all players have read the rule book and actually practice them in games. :) I find that showing them in print form comments from other umpires gives them a way to understand the rule even better. Some will go to the rule book and still argue because they don't fully comprehend. The reality is we as umpire practice those rules every play. This player will want to see the words "a player must make an attempt to catch a ball after being called infield fly or the infield fly does not happen". As I explained to him first off it was an infield fly for sure since it didn't even get to the pitcher in the infield. I then explained no actual attempt needs to take place in infield fly once it has been called. But of course they know better than an umpire. This gives me the proof I need. And I am fully aware there are other threads about infield fly and I did look but I did not see anything that fit this example.

longball101

Part Time Player
You can tell him infielders often intentionally drop a called "infield fly" to see what uneducated runners will do..lol

MaverickAH

Runners on first and second, no outs. Batter hits a medium high pop up in between the pitcher and catcher. Infield fly is immediately called, batter is out. Pitcher made a little effort to try and get to the ball but since it was a senior league he could not get there in time. Catcher never moved but probably had a much better chance to get to the ball if he tried at all. Ball drops to the ground. Easy call. Batting team says a fielder has to try and make a catch on infield fly. What say you?

I know I know. Of course the player does not believe me because we all know all players have read the rule book and actually practice them in games. :) I find that showing them in print form comments from other umpires gives them a way to understand the rule even better. Some will go to the rule book and still argue because they don't fully comprehend. The reality is we as umpire practice those rules every play. This player will want to see the words "a player must make an attempt to catch a ball after being called infield fly or the infield fly does not happen". As I explained to him first off it was an infield fly for sure since it didn't even get to the pitcher in the infield. I then explained no actual attempt needs to take place in infield fly once it has been called. But of course they know better than an umpire. This gives me the proof I need. And I am fully aware there are other threads about infield fly and I did look but I did not see anything that fit this example.

The enacting of the infield fly rule requires judgement. Part of the infield fly rule states that the ball must be able to be caught with ordinary effort. Was the defensive player able to make a play with ordinary effort? Were the runners put in jeopardy? Just because a ball is hit into the air in or near the infield does not mean that it's an automatic call. Judgement should be used. That judgement should take into account the height & location of the ball, the ability of the players to reasonable make the play, etc...... If, in your judgement, the play met all of the conditions require to make the call, then make the call.

I have to say though that your OP brings into question your call. ".....he could not get there in time." ".....probably had a much better chance to get to the ball......" Not a lot of certainty in either of those sentences! Also, what is "medium high"? That's a bit vague. Be more precise. I will also say that the word, "immediately", gives me some concern. Immediately when? When the ball reached its zenith? When the position of the ball & the defensive players were assessed? Not every ball that's popped up into the air in the infield when an infield fly situation is in effect is an infield fly!

Finally, I've always been taught that the three most important words in an umpire's arsenal are, "In my judgement......". They can provide a bit of insulation.

longball101

Part Time Player
Good points Mav...taking into account the fact the OP said " it was a senior league he could not get there in time" I tend to lean toward your explanation...since it is Senior League, its sounds more like it took EXTRAordinary effort to make this play. But, conversely, since the Ump immediately called IN FIELD FLY...I see no need for any player to actually make an effort to get the ball......

MaverickAH

There is a need to get the ball. It's still LIVE! Runners can still advance at their own risk if they so choose.

Iceman6409

The overall issue is that a player said to me that a fielder HAS to make an effort AND make an attempt to catch the ball in order for infield fly to be in effect. His words, not mine. In my opinion both the pitcher and in particular the catcher could have made the catch, the catcher was closer to the play but chose not to move at all. Had he taken 3-4 steps or so it would have been an easy catch. Pitcher did try but was very slow due to bad knees, etc. Height of the pop fly was not in question. It was high enough, again in my judgement.

longball101

Part Time Player
There you go, you answered it when you said "in my judgment" and as soon as you called "Infield Fly" everything after that is a moot point...you made a judgement call.

Mav..yes the ball is still live, I was just referencing making any type of attempt to catch it

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Had he taken 3-4 steps or so it would have been an easy catch. Pitcher did try but was very slow due to bad knees, etc.
Just to make sure, someone did touch the ball before it went foul correct? If the ball was high enough to be an infield fly, it would certainly have had enough backspin to get foul if it was only 3-4 steps out in front of the plate.

Iceman6409

No one touched it and it did stay fair. Game was on artificial turf and this field happens to be fairly soft. Plus the ball was not hit very hard nor was it hit a mile high either

tonys1

The overall issue is that a player said to me that a fielder HAS to make an effort AND make an attempt to catch the ball in order for infield fly to be in effect. His words, not mine. In my opinion both the pitcher and in particular the catcher could have made the catch, the catcher was closer to the play but chose not to move at all. Had he taken 3-4 steps or so it would have been an easy catch. Pitcher did try but was very slow due to bad knees, etc. Height of the pop fly was not in question. It was high enough, again in my judgement.

No one cares about that one player's OPINION on rules. The ump calls IF like a second after contact, he's not sitting there like a judge in the Olympics looking at how much effort he's placing into catching the ball.