ASA Injury

legend334

Addicted to Softballfans
question on ruling for a injury.. we batted 11 guys....a guy tore up his knee running to first base...i believe due to injury we can finish with ten and not penalized...is the last batter out the base runner for the 11th guy who got hurt?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Strict ASA championship play rules? I presume that you have no substitutes. If he has to leave the game, he is declared out and his spot becomes an automatic out in the lineup. If another person is injured and must leave the game, leaving you two down, then play cannot continue and you forfeit. There is no courtesy runner provision in adult slow pitch.

All of that said, your local league may have a provision for a courtesy runner or playing shorthanded without penalty when a player becomes injured. You'd have to check the local rules.

spos21ram

The Legend
I have never seen a league where there is no penalty. Every place I have seen or played you can continue with ten, but the injured player's spot it an automatic out.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I have never seen a league where there is no penalty. Every place I have seen or played you can continue with ten, but the injured player's spot it an automatic out.

Agreed. The OP mentioned that he believed there was no penalty, so he may have seen that in his local league rules and I gave him the benefit of doubt ;)

MoeKnowsSoftbal

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league rules here are regular ASA rules, for the most part. So I had to play once with a pulled calf muscle, since we were already down a guy to injury. Still went 2 for 3 after the injury. Thankfully, I was the catcher.

spos21ram

The Legend
I forgot to actually answer the OP's question about running for a base runner who was just injured. In ASA and USSSA if the batter-runner makes it safely to first base but because of injury cannot continue to play and you don't have a sub, then that runner will be an out. I'm sure most league's have a courtesy runner rule though.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans

There is no penalty here for a player leaving due to injury. In the league rules I play in and call you would have been allowed to use the last batted out as a courtesy runner and then skip over that player in the lineup for the remainder of the game.