ASA interference

jonsey

runner on 1st and 3rd no outs batter hits a slow roller to the SS who throws to 2nd for the out, the 2nd baseman attempts to throw to 1st base but is bumped by the runner ----- a couple different questions on this play ---
1) I know this is interference but what if in the umpires judgement the defense could not have gotten another out, is this an automatic double play call?
2) if the umpire did judge the 2nd baseman had a chance for an out at 1st base is the batter/runner out or is it the runner closest to home--- and is it always the runner closest to home even if the defense had no chance for that out

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
I believe its the runner closet to the plate that is the 2nd out
SMOKE

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
runner on 1st and 3rd no outs batter hits a slow roller to the SS who throws to 2nd for the out, the 2nd baseman attempts to throw to 1st base but is bumped by the runner ----- a couple different questions on this play ---
1) I know this is interference but what if in the umpires judgement the defense could not have gotten another out, is this an automatic double play call?

No. There must be a play where the defense could actually get an out for there to be INT.

2) if the umpire did judge the 2nd baseman had a chance for an out at 1st base is the batter/runner out or is it the runner closest to home--- and is it always the runner closest to home even if the defense had no chance for that out

Anytime there is INT by anyone other than an active runner, the runner closest to home is ruled out.

jonsey

Irish, below you stated the runner closest to home is ruled out. (by any one other than an active runner) I assume you mean by a runner that had already been called out--- is the penalty different for an active runner?

Anytime there is INT by any one other than an active runner, the runner closest to home is ruled out.

mav3134

Manager
I believe the whole "runner closest to home" being ruled out is only when it is the batter-runner who is guilty of interference. Otherwise it is just the runner guilty the interference and the runner who the fielder attempting to make the out on, but with it also being a dead ball and no runners advancing/scoring.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Irish, below you stated the runner closest to home is ruled out. (by any one other than an active runner) I assume you mean by a runner that had already been called out--- is the penalty different for an active runner?

Anytime there is INT by any one other than an active runner, the runner closest to home is ruled out.

Or a coach, ODB, ANY offensive player on the field who is not permitted, by rule, to be there.

I believe the whole "runner closest to home" being ruled out is only when it is the batter-runner who is guilty of interference. Otherwise it is just the runner guilty the interference and the runner who the fielder attempting to make the out on, but with it also being a dead ball and no runners advancing/scoring.

No, it applies to anyone as noted above.