Is it shaved?

2nQ19

Manager
I got this in a trade and it came today with major endcap seperation and it looked like they used loctite to get the cap back on. I took the cap off to get some opinions on whether is might be shaved. I dont want to use it and get myself in trouble if it is cut.

2nQ19

Manager
Yea I know its altered because I took it off. But the cap had been off previous to me doing it. It also had so much seperation that I wouldnt be able to use it if an ump looked at it. I just would rather take it off and know if it is or isnt shaved. And if it isnt I atleast know its clean and replacethe cap over 2nd guessing myself if I want to swing it in a game.

LC77

Manager
I can't tell from the pics. First 2 pics looks like vertical composite grain down the length of the barrel. Last pic could be horizontal composite grain around the circumference of the barrel from a lathe, or your colon.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure but the end cap separation would turn me off. Just not worth the hassle you will get.

2nQ19

Manager
I didnt know about the seperation. Guy listed the two bats i got as no cracks, rattles, endcap seperation. Then when he was about to ship he said the recoil has some seperation. I said ok send it and ill look at it when I get it. I didnt think it was gonna be as bad as it is until I got it.

TeamPlayer25

Addicted to Softballfans
translation of OP:
"I bought a bat from a guy and he told me it was shaved. Can you guys verify if it is or not before I waste money getting it shaved by someone else. Needed a new cap anyway"

I'm pretty cynical, I know.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry, I cant see the pix at work.............
but if it is a Combat............
What kind of an igitt shaves a combat????????

Herd a little trick ... no idea if it works or can prove it, but tape a Q-tip to something and rub the bottom side of the barrel and see if dust/debris comes off.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yea I know its altered because I took it off. But the cap had been off previous to me doing it. It also had so much seperation that I wouldnt be able to use it if an ump looked at it. I just would rather take it off and know if it is or isnt shaved. And if it isnt I atleast know its clean and replacethe cap over 2nd guessing myself if I want to swing it in a game.

Looks ok to me. Just re glue the end cap back on and swing away.

Still altering. Just sayin'.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
But who really cares? It's still a stock barrel bat.
Just re glue it and swing away.
Combat always said to re glue their caps on instead of shipping it back to them.
Yes I know it's a recoil, but either return it to the seller or re glue n swing away.
I'd re glue it

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Still altering. Just sayin'.

Yes the rules read the same, removing an end cap and shaving a bat are both altering. The reality is that they are very different and lumping them in the same category doesn't make logical sense. With a lot of bat companies refusing to fix end caps on NR bats or on bats that are past the warranty, this is one of the times that I don't see a problem with using an "altered" bat. I don't see a logical reason to throw away a $150-$200 bat because the $10 piece of plastic that has nothing to do with performance or safety cracked or came loose.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yes the rules read the same, removing an end cap and shaving a bat are both altering. The reality is that they are very different and lumping them in the same category doesn't make logical sense. With a lot of bat companies refusing to fix end caps on NR bats or on bats that are past the warranty, this is one of the times that I don't see a problem with using an "altered" bat. I don't see a logical reason to throw away a $150-$200 bat because the $10 piece of plastic that has nothing to do with performance or safety cracked or came loose.

While I agree that it's not the same as trying to gain an advantage in performance, the last thing I want to see is a guy spend his hard-earned money to play the sport he loves, only to get hung out to dry over something like this. Associations are coming down hard on altering - ANY altering.

Another thing to consider is that the end cap is an integral part of the structural integrity of the bat. Once it's been compromised, it's been compromised, and the structural integrity of the bat is now more likely to fail. A bat failure during a game can be a very dangerous thing.

broguearcher

Titanium Applications
I'm going to weigh in and say based on my experience, that someone may have attempted to cut the inside of the barrel... essentially just played with it a little... but it doesn't appear to me that they accomplished much.

1maset1

Manager
Herd a little trick ... no idea if it works or can prove it, but tape a Q-tip to something and rub the bottom side of the barrel and see if dust/debris comes off.

that's a good idea, looks offly thin to me marshell what a shame dude was this a local dude

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have never called out an opponent's bat during a game as being altered because I don't feel I could know for sure. That being said, I don't have a problem with them being lumped together for several reasons.

A, it's the rules of a game you choose to play. We're not talking about state or federal law here.

B, the temptation to go ahead and shave or endload a bat once the cap has come off is too great to assume everyone that replaced one didn't do anything while they had it open. We're talking about a community where so many people pay 25% of the cost of a bat above the price of the bat to have this done that the companies are enacting different ways to combat it. Of the people I've known with bats that lost their caps I'd guess 5 times as many came out from a poor replacement after a shave job than by themselves to be replaced as stock as possible.

C, the scenarios you discuss almost always come about after the original owner's gotten a "lifetime" of use out of the bat already or it's been sold to a second owner anyway.

D, I don't know how integral cap construction and placement is to a bat passing the standards, but I know the guys saying glue it back in and swing away don't know either.

In theory, I tend to feel like you and assume it's not that big of a deal. I also won't swing a bat I've known to be in this state in a game just to be safe. I don't want to be the guy that swings a bat I've replaced the cap on and have it fly off and put a guy's eye out.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
put it back with 3M 5200 and sell it on ebay as shaved, then buy another bat...just not a ****ty recoil

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce

This guy gets it.

I have never called out an opponent's bat during a game as being altered because I don't feel I could know for sure. That being said, I don't have a problem with them being lumped together for several reasons.

A, it's the rules of a game you choose to play. We're not talking about state or federal law here.

B, the temptation to go ahead and shave or endload a bat once the cap has come off is too great to assume everyone that replaced one didn't do anything while they had it open. We're talking about a community where so many people pay 25% of the cost of a bat above the price of the bat to have this done that the companies are enacting different ways to combat it. Of the people I've known with bats that lost their caps I'd guess 5 times as many came out from a poor replacement after a shave job than by themselves to be replaced as stock as possible.

C, the scenarios you discuss almost always come about after the original owner's gotten a "lifetime" of use out of the bat already or it's been sold to a second owner anyway.

D, I don't know how integral cap construction and placement is to a bat passing the standards, but I know the guys saying glue it back in and swing away don't know either.

In theory, I tend to feel like you and assume it's not that big of a deal. I also won't swing a bat I've known to be in this state in a game just to be safe. I don't want to be the guy that swings a bat I've replaced the cap on and have it fly off and put a guy's eye out.

This is idiotic.

Look, I'll always steer away from wrong choices given the opportunity. But, choosing the lesser of 2 evils is preferred. He got a bat, was worried about the endcap. What the OP should have done was return/undo the deal right there. Not sure if that was an option. But!, I would rather see him cover his ass rather than swing a shaved stick. I inherited a Felx from a teammate to pay a debt. He was not the OG owner. I had suspicions that it was cut. So I popped the endcap off to verify. Go ahead and call me names, at least I know I'm stepping up to the plate with an uncut stick. (Not anymore cause that flex is long gone)