Is Joe Mauer overrated?

babales

Only kind of here
beat me to it. i was looking up stats for the amount of stolen bases they allow. posada doesn't even rank since he's been a DH a lot this season. martinez was the 2nd worst in all of MLB

Exactly. One can quote a thousand different players' hitting stats, doesn't mean any of them make for an effective catcher.

Joker

mauer: 52 games, 25 SB against, 9 CS, .265%
martinez: 51 games, 55 SB against, 13 CS, .191%
suzuki: 45 games, 23 SB against, 10 CS, .303%
posada: 25 games, 22 SB against, 5 CS, .185%
mccann: 56 games, 32 SB against, 13 CS, .289%

y molina: 60 games, 19 SB against, 17 CS, .515%

Last edited:

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
mauer: 52 games, 25 SB against, 9 CS, .265%
martinez: 51 games, 55 SB against, 13 CS, .191%
y molina: 60 games, 19 SB against, 17 CS, .515%

Come on dude...how about the rest...suzuki, mccann, posada....if you don't wanna look it up LMK the site and I will do it.

Joker

i'm putting olivo in my top 5, probably top 3

.302, 9 HR, 30 RBI, 29 runs
49 games, 16 SB against, 18 CS, .529%

Brian McCann, Victor Martinez, and Jorge Posada...they all say you're wrong off the top of my head.

Y. Molina is having a sub par OF year thus far, however he is the best DF catcher in the game. .515% CS rate and 30+ pick offs at 1B thus far in his career.

doG

dabz
mauer is probably rated right where he should be. he calls a great game handles an immature staff, and is still a huge threat; his job from my point of view is to keep the bases occupied for the real power hitters on the team.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Hes a catcher, hes not really that fast he is going to ground into double plays. He is having an off year by his standards but if he hits .300-.320 and has 10 homers and 80-100 RBI's hes earing his keep for sure. If he doesnt reach those numbers this year chances are he will almost every other year.

sellinit

Addicted to Softballfans
Not over-rated, hes a catcher and it isnt too often that you see a catcher being the #1 source of offense on the team, while making the most money on the team.