Is the REAP5 approved for ASA?

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Yeah ... I know it's supposed to be a singlewall. So why isn't it listed on the ASA Certified Equipment site??

And on the subject of it being a singlewall, a couple of the claims have me scratching my head ...
... The BCT uses Advanced Tempered Ballistic Alloy in a Bonded-Layer system where layers are chemically fused for greater strength and durability. ...
If it's a singlewall, why are there "layers"?

Tabbed-Taper Technology allows for the interior wall to extend toward the handle extending the sweetspot ...
If it's a singlewall, why is there an "interior wall"?? Doesn't that imply that there's an exterior wall as well? :confused:

single wally

Professional Amateur
I answered your same post in the OSPB. Basically the Reap5 has an ASA stamp and it's definitely a singlewall bat. It's not even a multi-alloy singlewall like the Nano, so it should pass singlewall rules for even the strictest of LDs.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
It's got the ASA stamp, but it's not on the ASA approved list, which is strange.

I know ASA takes a while to update their site sometimes..... maybe that's the case here.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
It's got the ASA stamp, but it's not on the ASA approved list, which is strange.

I know ASA takes a while to update their site sometimes..... maybe that's the case here.

the same thing happened with the spirit and the mandingo lol

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA drags its feet sometimes.

they are the oldest organization right

so they are like this
elderly%20man%20on%20walker.jpg

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!

Maybe. But the REAP5 is a 2010 model ... isn't their 2011 REAP6 out already?? I'd think they'd have submitted it months ago. :confused:

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans
I answered your same post in the OSPB. Basically the Reap5 has an ASA stamp and it's definitely a singlewall bat. It's not even a multi-alloy singlewall like the Nano, so it should pass singlewall rules for even the strictest of LDs.

he speaks truff here

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Thanks, guys. I'll treat it as a singlewall, but I'll feel more comfortable when ASA lists it.

I was looking for ASA's rating of Singlewall vs. Multi-wall to help me make my decision. My issue was Rip-It's own comment that "Tabbed-Taper Technology allows for the interior wall to extend toward the handle". For all I know, ASA may be questioning putting "Singlewall" on the barrel.

If I'm Rip-It, I'd want to get what I'm paying for (an ASA certification) ... assuming that it was submitted.

eolivares1976

LA Lawmen
I got to swing my reaper5 yesterday and I was impressed. I don't think it can hang with my og ws but impressed overall. Good pop, nice exit speed, and really like the endload (got a 27 oz). My teammate swung it in our game yesterday and hit a 280 ft bomb. We play in a 250 ft 20 ft high fence and he hit it well over.

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
you're cool shep. even with the stamp, a lot of the umps & LDs around here won't let us use it because it's not on the ASA site. teammate has one and is anxious to use it but has to sit on it until ASA gets it's **** together.

OneTime

Addicted to Softballfans
Reap6 is coming out in a few weeks, I just sent my Reap4 28oz back last week, the end cap sepperated from the barrel. Talked to CS today they are going to send me a 2011 Reap6 when they arrive. Bat looks awesome, just waiting on the mail lady.........Hats off to the CS at Rip-It.

db521

Addicted to Softballfans
Reap6 is coming out in a few weeks, I just sent my Reap4 28oz back last week, the end cap sepperated from the barrel. Talked to CS today they are going to send me a 2011 Reap6 when they arrive. Bat looks awesome, just waiting on the mail lady.........Hats off to the CS at Rip-It.

So you returned the composite USSSA model for a BCT ASA model :confused:

OneTime

Addicted to Softballfans
Im sorry I had the Reap3, I only play in ASA leagues. I would never trade a composite for a non composite after swinging them. I like the end load in the Reap3 and the new one says its balanced but yet somehow endloaded.

db521

Addicted to Softballfans
got yuh. I haven't seen the 6 anywhere other than a picture so far. Start a new thread once you get it and give a review/comparison to the 3 for us.

OneTime

Addicted to Softballfans
You can call the ASA office they should be able to tell you. Maybe the testing process is not complete, but thats hard top believe. The Reap6 is on the list and it is not yet available, anywhere that I have looked. My Reap6 is coming hope it gets here before the season starts. I will be sure to review it to the Reap3 that I sent back. Im going to call this Friday to see how soon I will see my bat. CS is great there, also I will ask about the Reap5 not being ASA approved yet, curious myself now.

OneTime

Addicted to Softballfans
asked about the Reap5 they suggest calling the ASA office. im interested but not that interested sorry. Reap6 should be in, in about a week....than they have to do warrenty for returned bats and anyone who is waiting should have them within 3 weeks. Thats what I was told.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Rip-It Elite still has no single walls listed or REAP5.
They do now ...

http://ripitsportinggoods.com/bats/slowpitch.php

click on "Single Wall Alloy" at the bottom of the page.

But ASA shows no REAP5 ... a FORC5, but that's a different, fastpitch bat. Odd, the REAP6 was listed on ASA effective 3/3/2011, but not the 2010 REAP5.

Rip-It doesn't seem to care if ASA lists it or not. :confused::confused::confused:

I don't take ASA's categorization as gospel, but I gotta wonder why it's not listed if it's been out for a year and the ASA cert is on the bat. And since Rip-It pays ASA for testing and cert, why would they be telling their customers to call ASA???

Last edited:

Matt B

Star Player
They do now ...

http://ripitsportinggoods.com/bats/slowpitch.php

click on "Single Wall Alloy" at the bottom of the page.

But ASA shows no REAP5 ... a FORC5, but that's a different, fastpitch bat. Odd, the REAP6 was listed on ASA effective 3/3/2011, but not the 2010 REAP5.

Rip-It doesn't seem to care if ASA lists it or not. :confused::confused::confused:

I don't take ASA's categorization as gospel, but I gotta wonder why it's not listed if it's been out for a year and the ASA cert is on the bat. And since Rip-It pays ASA for testing and cert, why would they be telling their customers to call ASA???

They must've just put that up. ASA still a "no go" for some reason

They screwed up on the Miken Fusion also.... Typical

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
They must've just put that up. ASA still a "no go" for some reason

They screwed up on the Miken Fusion also.... Typical
Yeah, I noticed that. I don't put a lot of faith in their categorization. It doesn't provide them any benefit so they don't seem to care about getting it right.

I'm just surprised that Rip-It hasn't pushed them on not listing the REAP5. They're paying to get it certified and listed for heaven's sake. Why don't they seem to care. It's gotta be hurting sales. Getting a bat listed wrong is one thing ... but not listing a 2010 model at all is strange, since their 2011 is listed.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
As of now, ASA lists the RIP-IT REAP5 as a Multiwall

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
From the Rip-It website, about the REAP5:

Single Wall

Making single wall alloy leagues fun.

You want to bring your best out in every at bat regardless of what bat is legal. The only way to do that is to use the bat that has redefined performance in single wall alloy leagues. RIP-IT Single Wall Alloy bats let you play at the top of your game. ...

Frequently asked questions. ...

Q:My church league is a single wall alloy league. Can I use the Reaper?

A:The Single Wall Reaper is 100% legal for your single wall alloy leagues.

Pretty straightforward ... untill you read ASA's response about the REAP5's listing:
The REAP 5 is now on the ASA website - but at this time it is listed as a MW or Multi-wall model per the test report from the manufacturer. ...