ASA Is There An Maximum Arc Limit In Fast Pitch

Mark1110

Starting Player
Hi,

This came up in a game I was umpiring yesterday in a 8U rec league game. The girls are still learning the game and the managers are putting anyone on the mound that can throw the ball to the plate. Because of that I was calling anything close to the strike zone a strike.

One girl that was pitching for the first time was pitching the ball more like slow pitch because she was throwing it with an 3 - 4 foot arc on it. Several of her pitches I called strikes because it was over the plate even though it came in on an arc. The opposing manager took exception to those pitches being called a strike because he said this was a fast pitch league not a slow pitch league. My contention was that this is 8U rec league ball, the pitcher was pitching for the first time, and if the ball was a strike, even though it came in on an arc I am calling it a strike.

I don't think I will ever run into that type of situation again, but my question is, does the pitcher have to throw the ball flat to the catcher or could there be an some type of arc on it?

Thanks,

Mark

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi,

This came up in a game I was umpiring yesterday in a 8U rec league game. The girls are still learning the game and the managers are putting anyone on the mound that can throw the ball to the plate. Because of that I was calling anything close to the strike zone a strike.

One girl that was pitching for the first time was pitching the ball more like slow pitch because she was throwing it with an 3 - 4 foot arc on it. Several of her pitches I called strikes because it was over the plate even though it came in on an arc. The opposing manager took exception to those pitches being called a strike because he said this was a fast pitch league not a slow pitch league. My contention was that this is 8U rec league ball, the pitcher was pitching for the first time, and if the ball was a strike, even though it came in on an arc I am calling it a strike.

I don't think I will ever run into that type of situation again, but my question is, does the pitcher have to throw the ball flat to the catcher or could there be an some type of arc on it?

Thanks,

Mark

No, there is no arc limit in ASA FP

MaverickAH

All that matters is that the pitch crosses the plate within the confines of the batter's strike zone.

Dallusglockin

BP All-Star
Wow 8U bitching about balls and strikes?!?!

But I don't think there is a MPH requirement in fast pitch. If someone couldn't hit slow pitches, why not lob it up there? Kinda like Bob Tewksbury did to McGwire back in the day. I think his pitches were like mid 40s and McGwire just rolo'd to 1B.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Hell, in most 8U rec leagues, you're lucky to find a girl who can find the plate and not throw the ball 10 feet up the backstop.

That coach needs a reality check.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
An arced change up can be a bread and butter pitch for a girl that throws smoke. Seen many a hitter look foolish when they get that pitch. ;)

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
An arced change up can be a bread and butter pitch for a girl that throws smoke. Seen many a hitter look foolish when they get that pitch. ;)

True. My daughter's best friend in high school was a catcher and a beast of a hitter, if it was a fastball. She was Cerano from Major League. Jobu didn't help her hit the change, though :eek:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
True. My daughter's best friend in high school was a catcher and a beast of a hitter, if it was a fastball. She was Cerano from Major League. Jobu didn't help her hit the change, though :eek:

She was too young to offer Jobu cigar and rum. :D