Is this bush?

Mongo23

Manager
Hey guys, I am just looking for some other softball players opinions on this.

I had a championship game in a Sunday rec league and a guy on the other team pissed me off and I want to know if I'm wrong in thinking it was a bush league move.

Series is best of 3, first game bottom of the 6th he gets up with one on and no outs. He digs into the back of the box and takes a first pitch strike (start 1 and 1.) Next pitch he leans his body back in the box and swings straight down and hits the catchers glove on purpose resulting in a catchers interferance and jogs to first. Our C wasn't really crowding the plate in his crouch, so I got a little pissed.

I know the rules of the game but I would never do something like that, if you don't show up to swing my thought is why bother going? So is this garbage or do more people do this stuff and I am just over-thinking it?

deKilla

Coach
He could be teaching the catcher a lesson .... the glove could have been distracting the guy as he was in his stance and their is no need for dish to have the glove out?

Hey guys, I am just looking for some other softball players opinions on this.

I had a championship game in a Sunday rec league and a guy on the other team pissed me off and I want to know if I'm wrong in thinking it was a bush league move.

Series is best of 3, first game bottom of the 6th he gets up with one on and no outs. He digs into the back of the box and takes a first pitch strike (start 1 and 1.) Next pitch he leans his body back in the box and swings straight down and hits the catchers glove on purpose resulting in a catchers interferance and jogs to first. Our C wasn't really crowding the plate in his crouch, so I got a little pissed.

I know the rules of the game but I would never do something like that, if you don't show up to swing my thought is why bother going? So is this garbage or do more people do this stuff and I am just over-thinking it?

Couldnt imagin someone doing that in a rec leauge guess im a beliver in hitting the ball hard and def. Not walking leauge is were u getur hacks in so that is sorry if u ask me i would have been mad too. Bit then agian if u jave one of thouse catchers that are all up on the plate in a crouched position thats annoing too.:wtf1:

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
yah, catcher is dumb. i dont get why some catchers get in the baseball catcher stance and some even catch it in the air. quit being a damn noob, stand back and catch it on the bounce.

and ur avatar is hard to read, and when you finally do read it, its not very funny.

Mongo23

Manager
Catcher has never played before, he is just doing what he sees on TV. I'm not gonna tell him he should stand or play 6 feet behind the plate because every ball would bounce and he would have to chase it to the backstop lol. IMO he was plaenty far enough away from the plate so the hitter wouldn't hit his glove if he swung for the ball.

blakcherry329

Couldnt imagin someone doing that in a rec leauge guess im a beliver in hitting the ball hard and def. Not walking leauge is were u getur hacks in so that is sorry if u ask me i would have been mad too. Bit then agian if u jave one of thouse catchers that are all up on the plate in a crouched position thats annoing too.:wtf1:

I see what you did here:biggthumpup:(minus the misspelled words, of course:dunce:)

Where was the umpire? Didn't he see this happen?

deKilla

Coach
Catcher has never played before, he is just doing what he sees on TV. I'm not gonna tell him he should stand or play 6 feet behind the plate because every ball would bounce and he would have to chase it to the backstop lol. IMO he was plaenty far enough away from the plate so the hitter wouldn't hit his glove if he swung for the ball.

you should try and help the guy out by giving him some tips on how to play "slow pitch" catcher if he has never played before, their are ways of showing him without embarrassing him... ijs

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So he swung straight down, not intending to hit the ball?

If that's the case, then I wouldn't have catcher's obstruction, as the batter was not impeded from hitting the ball (since that was not his goal).

I'd also ask the coach who the substitute is for the batter, as he has now been ejected from the game for attempting to hit a player with his bat.

kjlee85

80% of the stories told here is not actually what happened. I have a feeling the batter tried to tomahawk or slap the ball and the it hit the catchers glove.

You say "the catcher was plenty far." I doubt he was plenty far if he was within distance of getting hit by a swing without the batter making it too obvious (if that was his intention). It's not like the batter turned around and hit him in the glove. Because of that, I would place the blame on the catcher and tell him to get back another couple feet. If you don't want that to happen, then dont put himself in that situation where it possibly could happen.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You would look really stupid swinging in a way to hit the glove on the way down no matter where the catcher was standing. I have seen catcher's not really out of position hit by a person with a massive uppercut that starts low where their glove is though.

doubles

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually stand behind the ump as i dont like them looking at my ass

Unless you're a hot chick, we ain't lookin ;)

But yeah, when we get new catchers out there I'll draw them a line about 4-5 feet from batters box, says stand there and catch off the bounce.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm surprised a fight didn't break out. I'm pretty sure he'd have gotten his ass kicked here for so deliberately hitting the catcher's glove.