ASA Is this considered a fake tag

Id Hit That

Star Player
I just got done reading the "faking the ball is coming in for a play" thread. I play first base. There are times that a player will smoke one and infield can’t catch it or misses it for whatever reason, i sometimes act like a throw is coming, the runner, if he doesn’t watch the ball, will run through the bag.:)

This isn’t putting them in any danger, and prevents some from turning and heading to second. I remember doing this since High School. Even though this doesn’t cause danger is that considered a fake tag???:confused:

Let me explain as well that I don’t stay on the bag, after acting like the ball is coming i do get off the bag when they get close, in the event they notice the ball has gone through.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
As a hitter, I always see where the ball goes and make my own decisions coming to first. Just make sure you aren't in line if he is able to turn and have any chance of 2nd. If I am running and 2nd is a possibility, I am coming round that bag regardless. 1b can get out of the way, or interfere, or possibly get moved outta the way.
Note: my 1B coach is usually just bs'ing with those in the dugout anyway...or just non-existent.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
You read that whole thread, but somehow missed the part that said a fake tag requires a fielder attempting to tag a runner without the ball. Think about when a fielder is holding the ball in the hand or glove and tries to touch a runner with it. That is a tag. A fielder doing that exact same thing- except without the ball- is a fake tag.

What you're doing doesn't fit that definition. Just standing there as if you were receiving a throw is not a fake tag.

Last edited:

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
i sometimes act like a throw is coming, the runner, if he doesn’t watch the ball, will run through the bag.

And if he does watch the ball, he might knock you on your ass turning the corner. :D

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO (not an ump here) that's not a fake tag. The scenario BretMan outlines is one I hate though. I hate sliding into a bag where a defender is set up only to find out that the defender at the bag wasn't even receiving a throw.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
IMO (not an ump here) that's not a fake tag. The scenario BretMan outlines is one I hate though. I hate sliding into a bag where a defender is set up only to find out that the defender at the bag wasn't even receiving a throw.

That's what your base coaches are for. :)

If they're not telling you to slide, why would you slide? Either they're not doing their job, or you don't trust 'em.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what your base coaches are for. :)

If they're not telling you to slide, why would you slide? Either they're not doing their job, or you don't trust 'em.
Indeed. I usually don't have this issue at third. At second it's a crapshoot.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
Why? You have most of the field in front of you when going from first to second.
I'm a pull hitting lefty so when I'm going into second I'm focused on getting to the bag, not checking my shoulder to see what the RF is doing. Of course, if I see what happens when I round first it usually becomes a non-issue.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a pull hitting lefty so when I'm going into second I'm focused on getting to the bag, not checking my shoulder to see what the RF is doing. Of course, if I see what happens when I round first it usually becomes a non-issue.

And while approaching and rounding 1B you have the play in front of you. From there on you have a coach behind you and one in front of you.

So, you have one of two possible problems. Either the guys in the coach's box isn't doing their job or you are not listening.

However, that isn't unusual because half the dugout screams at the runners what to do and half the other team is screaming at the fielders where to throw the ball.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I just got done reading the "faking the ball is coming in for a play" thread. I play first base. There are times that a player will smoke one and infield can’t catch it or misses it for whatever reason, i sometimes act like a throw is coming, the runner, if he doesn’t watch the ball, will run through the bag.:)

This isn’t putting them in any danger, and prevents some from turning and heading to second. I remember doing this since High School. Even though this doesn’t cause danger is that considered a fake tag???:confused:

Let me explain as well that I don’t stay on the bag, after acting like the ball is coming i do get off the bag when they get close, in the event they notice the ball has gone through.

You're just asking for an obstruction call if the runner decides to make a turn correctly. If he runs through, then great, otherwise you will likely impede the progress of the runner (if he knows how to run the bases) and a good ump will signal for obstruction. You might just give the runner a free base.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^

not to mention if people see you doing that on previous plays, it's kind of obvious, so they should try to get an obstruction call ... and should also lower their shoulder on the turn and knock you on your ass

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
^^^

not to mention if people see you doing that on previous plays, it's kind of obvious, so they should try to get an obstruction call ... and should also lower their shoulder on the turn and knock you on your ass

...and get tossed out of the game for unsportsmanlike conduct.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^
When you lower your shoulder to knock the fielder down, you're just asking for an ejection. If you're going to run into the guy to make the obstruction call obvious to the lesser umps, don't try to knock the guy down. Just bring attention to the contact.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
^^^
When you lower your shoulder to knock the fielder down, you're just asking for an ejection. If you're going to run into the guy to make the obstruction call obvious to the lesser umps, don't try to knock the guy down. Just bring attention to the contact.

But reinforcing what hookumsnivy alluded to... Contact is NOT necessary for there to be an obstruction call. The important thing is that the runner is impeded by a defensive player who neither has possession of the ball or is in the act of fielding a batted ball.