J3A is sick, but only for 25 swings!

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
kinda sounds like a geezer in that vid. definitely way different from what mine sounds like.

and where does it say anything about even being designed for 52COR balls, let alone to only use 52's?
http://www.demarini.com/en-us/slowpitch/bats/1530170/

compared to the flipper write up
http://www.demarini.com/en-us/slowpitch/bats/1232731/

i definitely hit mine more than 25 times and it looks brand new. not that i hit all that hard, or ever break bats that aren't defective...

It says it on the ASA only stamp

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
Ok class let's go over this once more

MADE FOR 52's

Mercy
J3A
Flipper
Fu Dawg

Hitting any of these above mentioned bats with 40's and 44's will accelerate break in and could ultimately cause the bat to break in minimal swings...

Bats to swing with 52's and 44's that will provide more durability

Sunday Swagger
CL22
MLC
FU DAWG (so far so good)

Bagel_7

Addicted to Softballfans
I was hitting 40/375 but the bat sounds awful because it already had the crack. I just wanted to take another round to see if it got worse. Which it did.

6040adam

Addicted to Softballfans
20130302_141526_zpse4df71e5.jpg

thats way worse the the crack mine had.... that looks deeper than just paint.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
It says it on the ASA only stamp

Ok class let's go over this once more

MADE FOR 52's

Mercy
J3A
Flipper
Fu Dawg

Hitting any of these above mentioned bats with 40's and 44's will accelerate break in and could ultimately cause the bat to break in minimal swings...

Bats to swing with 52's and 44's that will provide more durability

Sunday Swagger
CL22
MLC
FU DAWG (so far so good)

sorry, i'm not sure if you're being serious:eek:

but i still don't see anything from demarini that says any bat other than the flipper is not to be used with officially sanctioned asa 44/375's...:confused:

i'm just not sure why this is any different than ever other bat. using harder balls will accelerate break in and risk breakage of every composite bat. i just want to know where it says NOT to use 44/375's and if there's really any risk of demarini denying a return because you did.

zow237

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^^^^ hes right.... The new asa standards are for everyone to hit the 52... I would assume that 44. Anything will be phased out in asa im sure

cyoung187

Coach
The new stamp is geared towards using the 52/300 or did we travel back in time and forget that?

The like 1% of overall softball players that may come on this site may know this, but if demarini and others don't put any kind of advertisment out saying these are made only for low comps, a lot of bats will be broken. Its not exactly common knowledge to anyone who goes the the park or a sporting goods store.

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
The like 1% of overall softball players that may come on this site may know this, but if demarini and others don't put any kind of advertisment out saying these are made only for low comps, a lot of bats will be broken. Its not exactly common knowledge to anyone who goes the the park or a sporting goods store.

True but who's responsibility is it to know the rules and regs of the association that the individual is participating In...

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
Dont care if it does break mine has a return and ill hit 44s and 52s with it... So far in the Cage ive put about 50-75 cuts on with 44s and about 100+ with 52s , No damage yet to it but its straight stupid hot... Cant wait for season to start. This bat made me come back to Demarini. This is a pretty bold statement because i love the RD but this bat is hands down better.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
The new stamp is geared towards using the 52/300 or did we travel back in time and forget that?

no, i never heard that from the manufacturer.

PEOPLE have been SUGGESTING it. but imo, there's a huge difference between what you heard from a guy that knows a guy, and what a manufacturer says.

the facts that i know of so far are:
asa still allows the 44/375 balls in play
these bats are made for asa play
demarini has not advertised or warned again using 44/375's for any bat other than the flipper(as far as i can find)

to me that suggests i should be able to use this bat in my asa league that still uses asa sanctioned 44/375's... and if demarini doesn't want to honor their warranty or give me a hard time, they need to state that clearly like they did with the flipper.

this isn't about travelling back in time, it's about not believing rumours unless they are backed by some credible source. the 'bad batch' of j3's is a concern, but i don't see why the 'good batch' should be treated differently than the fu dawg

SDMike

Addicted to Softballfans

PEOPLE have been SUGGESTING it. but imo, there's a huge difference between what you heard from a guy that knows a guy, and what a manufacturer says.

demarini has not advertised or warned again using 44/375's for any bat other than the flipper(as far as i can find)

to me that suggests i should be able to use this bat in my asa league that still uses asa sanctioned 44/375's... and if demarini doesn't want to honor their warranty or give me a hard time, they need to state that clearly like they did with the flipper.

this isn't about travelling back in time, it's about not believing rumours unless they are backed by some credible source. the 'bad batch' of j3's is a concern, but i don't see why the 'good batch' should be treated differently than the fu dawg

No, they haven't. In fact, company representatives have said the exact opposite:
http://forums.softballfans.com/showpost.php?p=16596390&postcount=50

If they want to deny a return on that basis they have nothing to stand on as the bat was not sold on that basis and should not break as a result of hitting officially sanctioned equipment. From reading threads here sounds likely that some came through with a manufacturing defect.

gbombs

Currently on the DL
Chris Larsen just said the J3A is designed for only the 52s. But kills the 44/375, which was already known...

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
My j3a is retarded hot! It almost seems unfair to use it. Has about a 3 inch vertical crack in outer shell. Actually hasn't gotten any bigger in the last 100 swings. Going to get a couple more before this one breaks.

Last edited:

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Do we know any of the serial #'s of the bad batch bats that are breaking?

^^^^^^^^ I was wondering about that also !!
Maybe we need to start a thread and ask ppl for there serial # of the ones that r breaking so easy ! ???

Seriously, guys who have / have had j3a need to help out here. Ser # on bats that have broken and also on ones that have held up. Let's see if there are any trends.

Bagel_7

Addicted to Softballfans
Everybody asking for serial #s please see the thread started by cdamron13, he's got it covered.

TRaj2327

I've been saying this for a while now. The typicaly league player knows nothing about softball fans and nothing about different ball/bat combos and how they affect durability.

They still should have put some soft of sticker on the bat or something behind the wrapper that states that it is specifically designed for the 52/300 ball.

Bagel_7

Addicted to Softballfans
Called Demarini on my way into work, they told me to send the bat back for final replacement consideration. If I'm fortunate enough to get a return I plan to only use the 52/300 balls with it, I haven't bp'd my Z2K for the same reason. I guess the J3A will be on the same level, I'll just swing my FSE in bp since they swings similar.

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
Nobody in my asa league even knew about new testing standards. Brought my flipper and j3a to a practice thing they do and they were shocked at the j3a and had no clue what the new balls were our what the old balls were. Needs to be something put on the bats. They are pretty oblivious

dish0005

'murica!
When I broke my J3As I got all sorts of posts like.... Mine has 500 swings with 44 cors and no scratches, must be you.... These J3As are tanks

Now that it's come out that the J3A is SUPER fragile or just bad quality control the DeMarini police are here to say "bat is designed for 52cors only!" Just makes me laugh, customer service told me they NEVER had any issues with J3As not being durable. I guess that has changed by now.

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
Has to be a batch. Weird way they are breaking. Sure they'll get it fixed. Cartels were snapping in two fairly frequently around these parts. Same with the first batch of legends, mine broke in 2 bp sessions.

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
So what was all that new ASA stamp mayhem for then that everyone was worried about all last summer and early fall?