J3a or a Z or Softballfans Limited Edition CL 22

kenbat

Addicted to Softballfans
Looking for a recommendation on a new bat. I am a line drive hitter who has never hit one out so that tells you about my bat speed. As I am also aging I can use all the help I can get from the bat to get the ball through the infield or into the gaps as quick as possible. I have been using a 27 oz NRG Maxload for several years. It seems the first 2 bats listed in the title to my thread are the ones that are most recommended across the board and are ranked highest for pop and distance. The Softballfans Limited Edition CL22 would seem to be like the NRG in feel from reading the promo info.

So guys, what would you recommend that I get of the ones listed or is there another that you think I have missed. Thanks for help

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
J3a will swing a lot different than the NRG fwiw. Both ends of the spectrum.

rtrantham

The Veteran
J3a will swing a lot different than the NRG fwiw. Both ends of the spectrum.

Yep I agree. The J3A is flexy so if you don't like flex get an Aftermath,Mercy, or a Fudawg. With the J3A you don't have to swing all that hard and it just smashes the piss out of it.

kenbat

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the replies so far. In answer to a previous message, our leagues don't do compression testing and allow anything that it 1.20 or lower.

ATL Rookie

Manager
If you can use Utrip bats, why would you be looking at only ASA?

Utrip Combat Wanted. Hot as hell, durable and 13's can be had cheap right now.

richardnoggin

Extra Hitter
Derby boys ASA is super hot & crushes the 52/300 ball. Bought the orange one from last year & I won't swing anything else now. Love it.

kenbat

Addicted to Softballfans
I am not looking at only ASA. ASA or USSSA is fine as long as 1.20 rated or below. The two I have listed are the top rated in the bat reviews as far as legal bats are concerned so it is unclear, at least to me, if there is still a major difference in performance between ASA and USSSA legal bats. Seems like the J3a is rated highly no matter what. Is it still better to get a USSSA one if they are allowed?

Justice2318

Addicted to Softballfans
The ASA only bats are better than USSSA bats IMO. Personally the J3A performs well I just don't care for the feel, have never swung a ASA Z (only swung a USSSA Z), I have preordered the SBF CL22 J3A. Another bat you may want to consider is the other bat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
What's up with the boogeyman? I haven't heard much about em yet. I was thinking of getting my hands on one. Are they still on pre-order? Sorry for the thread jack.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
Yeah still a pre-order I know the first batch is sold out so anything ordered now is in the second batch.

Dayum. I'm sure I'll be able to get one in another month or so. I just want to make sure their any good before I go searching. I'll just wait till they get some good reviews from the general public.

BT802

The Veteran
I'm in the same boat. I have the ASA CL22 on preorder but I plan on picking up one more bat, just can't make up my mind. If the CL22 uses the J3A barrel I'm a little worried about durability. I wouldn't mind having a J3A either just from all the crazy good reviews. I loved my OG Z2k but I'm hearing bad things about the Z3k as well. Maybe I'll look into a '14 Juggy or Aftermath..

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
I'm hoping the 2014 juggy is as good as the j3a since I already have a I 27oz new line juggy....I might get a new aftermath or even a j3a but definitely on my list is the new model bat.... would maybe try the bat but Carl says if all I hit is the 52/300 then the other bat is the way to go

rtrantham

The Veteran
I am not looking at only ASA. ASA or USSSA is fine as long as 1.20 rated or below. The two I have listed are the top rated in the bat reviews as far as legal bats are concerned so it is unclear, at least to me, if there is still a major difference in performance between ASA and USSSA legal bats. Seems like the J3a is rated highly no matter what. Is it still better to get a USSSA one if they are allowed?

Where are you playing out of? I play in a similar league in Nashville, Tn, so if your league allows utrip by all means get a Z2000 utrip or mizuno. Best utrips I have ever swung.

kenbat

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in Montgomery County in Maryland. I did look closely at the 2013 Z2000 end load but they are hard to get. Seems like the J3a is readily available for a very reasonable price here so I wondered.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
I play in Montgomery County in Maryland. I did look closely at the 2013 Z2000 end load but they are hard to get. Seems like the J3a is readily available for a very reasonable price here so I wondered.

PM Coach for member pricing here

lx_2nv

Coach

I'll be up your way (north of it) tomorrow for work.

My vote is for the Voltage...

JohnDoe00

Star Player
I personally would stay away from the that bat company. Got one last season and it might have honestly been the worst bat I've ever swung. Can't go wrong with Demarini right now every stick from last year was awesome and I'm sure this years will be too.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
PM Coach for member pricing here

The $240 listed is what members pay....I called the store and was told their is no discount on them since the price is already so low

I personally would stay away from the bat. Got one last season and it might have honestly been the worst bat I've ever swung. Can't go wrong with Demarini right now every stick from last year was awesome and I'm sure this years will be too.

Last years asa bat was a beast of a bat... maybe you got a dud or just didn't put the work in bcus my 27oz was hot hot hot